Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:50 PM

45 posts, read 95,971 times

Advertisements

Yea, unfortunately until the decent folk take back the neighborhoods, it will be like that fmax. I tend to believe there are more hardworking and caring folks than evil folks whose only intention is to live crappy for the rest of their lives, but if we allow those folk to scare us until we move so far away from the city that we're in Flint, nothing will ever happen. Many people don't care to deal with that strain and stress, but since I grew up in the city it's really the only place I want to be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 06:59 PM

73,115 posts, read 62,755,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolcraft View Post
Yea, unfortunately until the decent folk take back the neighborhoods, it will be like that fmax. I tend to believe there are more hardworking and caring folks than evil folks whose only intention is to live crappy for the rest of their lives, but if we allow those folk to scare us until we move so far away from the city that we're in Flint, nothing will ever happen. Many people don't care to deal with that strain and stress, but since I grew up in the city it's really the only place I want to be.
It is going to take decent, hardworking people to take the city back, and there are some hardworking, decent people who are still in Detroit. Unfortunately, the attention isn't on them. The attention isn't going to be on some student at Wayne State, or a lifelong Detroit resident determined to make it work in Detroit. The thugs will continue to get the most attention. The persons who are decent get treated as if they never existed in the first place.
And even Flint is dealing with problems.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:20 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,072,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schoolcraft View Post
The houses are usually gutted, with all plumbing and sometimes the wire ripped out. But much of the construction is from the 1920's and needs to be replaced anyway, but the structure on some of the houses are great (many are brick) so I guess that's why I went nuts and bought a couple. Having been to other places and seeing the ridiculous prices that you have to pay to get a home and you only get a bedroom of space for a whole house.... then knowing you can get the beginnings of a nice family home in Detroit for $500 made all the difference to me. I guess since I grew up in Detroit I feel a little more comfortable buying a home there. I wouldn't expect white folk to start snapping houses up in an area that's 85% black... but I do think young successful black folk should be snapping these places up and trying to take some of these communities back.
I can definitely understand the attraction to a 2000 ft classic brickhouse with nice solid wood on the inside. What do you think it would cost to renovate one of those suckers?

Old 08-10-2010, 10:09 AM

348 posts, read 639,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't agree with alot of the conservative views, however, I will agree that having fatherly guidance is important. Personally, if it wasn't for my father, I might have ended up in jail myself knowing the bitter, depressed teenager I was. Uprbringing has alot to do with it. Growing up where I didn't, I saw some White people engage in criminal activities as well.
Oddly enough, there is one thing alot of people DON'T think of when watching the news about Black people committing crimes. Little thought is given to this fact: African-Americans(especially men) make up the vast majority of victims of crimes committed by African-Americans. Little thought is given to the fact that African-American men ages 15-34 have the highest mortality rate in the USA and the number one cause of death is murder.

It is going to take alot of work for race relations to get better.
All I can say....is that I get REALLLLLLLY ROYALLY PI**ED OFF....when I see Black Americans and all the PR about their (oh so chic...oh so cool) charity work in Africa.

Instead of going to Israel and South Africa....maybe Oprah should consider the occupied Palestine-West Bank and Gaza, and first of all....Detroit....as her next places of SINCERE CONCERN and interest.

What about FACING your own community...and looking into your own mirror, right in your own backyard.
What about some charity for Detroit... and Black Americans.
Or are they all pretending to be.....oh...so cool....oh so chic...immitating Angelina Jolie and shopping for some African orphans.

I am White, but every once in a while, I go on YouTube and watch the inspirational speeches of Reverend Farrakhan.
If he`s a racist....I can see beyond it.
What`s racist about RAISING YOUR OWN children, helping your own family, your own community, your own people.....

Old 08-10-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
All I can say....is that I get REALLLLLLLY ROYALLY PI**ED OFF....when I see Black Americans and all the PR about their (oh so chic...oh so cool) charity work in Africa.

Instead of going to Israel and South Africa....maybe Oprah should consider the occupied Palestine-West Bank and Gaza, and first of all....Detroit....as her next places of SINCERE CONCERN and interest.

What about FACING your own community...and looking into your own mirror, right in your own backyard.
What about some charity for Detroit... and Black Americans.
Or are they all pretending to be.....oh...so cool....oh so chic...immitating Angelina Jolie and shopping for some African orphans.

I am White, but every once in a while, I go on YouTube and watch the inspirational speeches of Reverend Farrakhan.
If he`s a racist....I can see beyond it.
What`s racist about RAISING YOUR OWN children, helping your own family, your own community, your own people.....
I don't know what to say about all of this, but I can come up with this. I don't see anything wrong with building your community up, and helping other people as well. What I see is that it isn't considered "in" to help places like Detroit,MI and Gary,IN out. I get kind of annoyed with Angelina Jolie myself. I am not saying she isn't benevolent, but the energy used to help others all over the world could be used in places like Detroit.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I don't know what to say about all of this, but I can come up with this. I don't see anything wrong with building your community up, and helping other people as well. What I see is that it isn't considered "in" to help places like Detroit,MI and Gary,IN out. I get kind of annoyed with Angelina Jolie myself. I am not saying she isn't benevolent, but the energy used to help others all over the world could be used in places like Detroit.
I get more annoyed with Oprah.
Beyond annoyed.....I`m getting disgusted.
Talk about ass-kissing the neo-con establishment.

I do get lost....and can`t figure out....how does society go about teaching a generation of Black fatherless boys....(lotta Whites have the same problem) that a ``Wife is for Life``.
As a single mother, I testify....my son wasn`t whining for a village (Remember Madame Clinton`s ``It takes a village``).

He didn`t want another mother...either (so much for a child`s indiffirence to the gender of the other parent).

He wanted a DAD.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:38 AM

530 posts, read 1,552,451 times
sadie,

Take away the Welfare and Section 8 Housing and Tax Credits and Foody's.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
sadie,

I don't think that would work. Take away the welfare and you will see things get worse. My professor told me "when people starve in the sticks, they die. When people starve in the urban areas, riots occur." That is how I see it.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieMirsade View Post
I get more annoyed with Oprah.
Beyond annoyed.....I`m getting disgusted.
Talk about ass-kissing the neo-con establishment.

I do get lost....and can`t figure out....how does society go about teaching a generation of Black fatherless boys....(lotta Whites have the same problem) that a ``Wife is for Life``.
As a single mother, I testify....my son wasn`t whining for a village (Remember Madame Clinton`s ``It takes a village``).

He didn`t want another mother...either (so much for a child`s indiffirence to the gender of the other parent).

He wanted a DAD.
I understand wanting a father. I have a father in my life. His father was there, to the day of his death(factory-related death). My father learned how to be a father from his father and for that reason, I have a father. People need a mother and a father. I learned many things from my father that I otherwise would not have learned from my mother.

Old 08-10-2010, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
sadie,

That may be an idea.
What about all the drug dealers (vampires and blood suckers ), gun dealers, dysfunctional schools and corrupt politicians.

I grew up in a town of about 20 000 people. I swear to God there were no junkies in that place....UNTIL the drug pushers appeared, and set up shop in all the local bars and clubs.

Now there are about 35 addicts on methadone treatment at the local hospital, among them a distant relative who got hooked on that **it in the big city.

Of course, the crime rate is up. Crime is on the increase and the local cops just can`t figure out ($$$$ ) who the big dealers are.

A couple of local junkies (brothers) sold their inheritance (a house) when their parents passed away. Now, they`re still hooked, but also homeless.

A few more cases like that, and people will be fearing for their safety as the crime rate rises.

Last edited by SadieMirsade; 08-10-2010 at 11:22 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit