Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 11:32 PM

6 posts, read 18,702 times

Advertisements

I received my 1st speeding ticket and a wake up call.
Last June was was driving to Macomb Community College.
I was pulled over for speeding. I was some what surprised, but I didn't say too much. since it was his word against mine.
Now here is where the nightmare begins: I pull out my proof of insurance and my registration, I keep them in a little plastic cover. I place them on my console and remove my drivers license from my wallet. Like magic my insurance card and registration disappears. I start looking all over my front seat of my van, the whole time I'm thinking it can't be too far. I explain to the police officer what happens. He is nice enough to let me look for a few minutes, he even lets me call my house to see if I have a spare insurance card. No such luck. Within a matter of two minutes my Italian family all 500 (Joking) knows that I am pulled over and my phone won't stop ringing.
I'm trying to listen to the police office and at the same time trying to ignore the phone and text messages and still looking for my insurance card that seems to have vanished from my van.
I should have paid more attention to what the officer was saying, but my thought kept going back to the missing insurance card.
Of course after he leaves I find my card.
I call make my court date. It is schedule the same day as my final exam.
So I decide not to go and just pay the ticket. Then I get this letter in the mail that I owe $400.00 for not having proof of insurance (same insurance for the last 19 yrs) along with $180.00 for the no insurance ticket and $150.00 for the 10 over the speed limit. I am shocked. I have 10 days to pay it. I called the courts to see what I could do and was told if I did not pay it in 10 days I will have a warrant for my arrest.
all this for 10 over. Here I am a mother of 4 out of work, that is why I went back to school. I wish I knew about the insurance ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 01:04 AM

5,193 posts, read 5,720,093 times
Dang! That's a hefty price. Can you just go down to the courthouse and talk to someone in person? I find that sometimes if you're face-to-face with a person they may be more helpful.

Good luck!

Old 10-31-2009, 01:40 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,140,321 times
If you show proof that you had insurance at the time of the stop to the court they might drop the no insurance part of the charges.

Old 10-31-2009, 07:11 AM

313 posts, read 1,190,569 times
I think that usually if you are able to produce insurance and registration, they will usually take those tickets off. But anytime that's happened to me, I've always gone the same day or the next. That is tough!

Old 10-31-2009, 07:26 AM

263 posts, read 742,450 times
no, they don't care. you have to have the proof with you or you get a ticket. it was all over the news back when it came into effect.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,044,105 times
No proof of insurance is a hefty fine. Plus I think you get some extras related to the DRIVER RESPONSIBILTY fines...I think that once you agreed to pay the ticket, it was the same as admitting you had no insurance OUCH. Not fair to be sure...A good lawyer might help and save you those driver responsibilty fees..I think like an additional $150 a year for the next 2-3 years for registration?

http://www.michigan.gov/driverrespon...165---,00.html

Old 11-01-2009, 07:23 AM

54 posts, read 141,294 times
You need to file a motion to reopen the case. Try to contact the prosecutor (generally a private attorney that the local gov has contracted prosecutorial duties to) and ask if they will stipulate to reopening the case so you can work out something less. Go to the hearings. If your motion is granted, a date will be scheduled to meet with the prosecutor. Show up and meet with the prosecutor, and don't give anyone any attitude. They are generally willing to dismiss the proof of insurance and other smaller charges. They may even reduce the speeding ticket to something with no points. If you can, take $200 cash with you so you can pay immediately after the hearing and be done with it.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:20 PM

483 posts, read 1,214,726 times
Of course you're going to get charged with not having insurance if you don't go to court to PROVE that you have the insurance in the first place.

Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 18,702 times
I went to the court house to see if they would reopen my case. (thank you Mogo). It was worth it I had to pay $335.00 They called it a bond. then I had to raise my right hand and swear that I would go to court. My insurance company told me that they would write a letter to show proof that I never had a laps of coverage. I still have to pay the responsibility fee.
I was told that after I go to court I should get a part of my money back. All of this cause I could n' t find my insurance card went to after I took it out of my purse

Old 11-02-2009, 07:35 PM

1,049 posts, read 2,997,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidex View Post
Of course you're going to get charged with not having insurance if you don't go to court to PROVE that you have the insurance in the first place.
This.. seriously I find it crazy how people just say "oh I don't have the time to go deal with it, I'll just pay it" Doing that is letting the system own you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit