Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 12:13 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times

Advertisements

I live in NYC, so have some perspective on a city that has turned itself around.
I can only think of a couple areas in all of the five boroughs that rival what I have seen in many places when visiting back home in detroit. You can be looking at million dollar condos, and drive two blocks and see crack heads passed out in the street. Really bazaar. I'm actually glad that some people have the guts to move back in there. God bless em.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 04:44 PM

77 posts, read 414,357 times
Well I am glad there are some positive posts about the downtown area. I realize that Detroit has issues, but so have other cities in the past and they have turned it around. A real estate agent representing one of the lofts I was checking out e-mailed me and told me the downtown area is safer then other areas. I realize agents like to paint a rosy picture, but I just needed to get some feedback on that in this forum. It would be awesome to get in on the ground level of any kind of turn around and be a part of it. Everyone has opinions based on experience and hearsay, personal experience is the best opinion. Last year my fiance and I went to the U.S. Open (tennis) in New York. We were seperated on the subway at 2 AM (don't ask me how...we just did ) There I was standing in the middle of Manhattan with giant tourist U.S. Open bags spinning around, lost. People helped me out and got me going in the right direction, my fiance befriended some people who took her under there wing and got her back to the hotel in lower Manhattan. So..... my point, in the past, New York did not have the greatest reputation, but my experience spoke volumes of what my perception was and my experience destroying that perception. I can't wait to go back this year. I think Detroit will do the same, become a better city.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:22 PM

954 posts, read 4,378,625 times
Virginia1
You shoul google Grace Boggs. She sends out a newsletter about stuff in Detroit. She is polititically pretty biased, but talks about what is happening on the ground in the city. She is like 93 years old and has seen it all in Detroit.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:25 PM

Thanks mhogan....I will check it out.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:59 PM

4 posts, read 15,713 times
I have been in the detroit area all my life. I frequent Detroit for business and pleasure. I must tell you that Detroit has come a long way in the past 20 years. I think you will find plenty to do and explore in downtown. Lofts and condos are selling like hotcakes right now unlike the rest of Michigan real estate. As for being safe I dont think you have to worry about that unless you venture to far out into some troubled neighborhoods! there are plenty of cops on the streeets of downtown. There is also so much to do downtown! Theater, sports, nightlife. New riverwalk being added also! So dont get caught up in the politics of the state right now! Come here and have a good time! See you in Detroit!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
I have posted on this forum many times. I currently live in Va. Beach and my Fiance lives in Flint. I am considering moving up and have mainly thought of moving to Grand Rapids. Since I have been looking at real estate to buy I have looked all over Michigan. I came upon some loft style condos in Detroit mostly in the Midtown and Downtown areas and really liked them. I have been to Detroit on occasion, Royal Oak, Ferndale, etc. I have read varying opinions about Downtown, good and bad. I am in the medical field and I could most likely find a job at DMC. I have read that there are some racial tensions and mean spirited people in the Detroit City area with high crime. I also have read of people living in the downtown area and have not had any problems. So here is my question or questions Are there signs of Detroit revitilazation (spell) going on? Is the immediate downtown area safer then lets say the outer boundaries of the center city, which I have seen. Kids are in college so I will be on my own mostly. Please only respond if you really have experience living in the center city area or midtown. It would be most helpful. Thanks.

Old 05-19-2007, 06:14 AM

188 posts, read 811,246 times
RUN FOR COVER , RUN RUN RUN , HEAD FOR THE HILLS OMG someone POSITIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
Well I am glad there are some positive posts about the downtown area. I realize that Detroit has issues, but so have other cities in the past and they have turned it around. A real estate agent representing one of the lofts I was checking out e-mailed me and told me the downtown area is safer then other areas. I realize agents like to paint a rosy picture, but I just needed to get some feedback on that in this forum. It would be awesome to get in on the ground level of any kind of turn around and be a part of it. Everyone has opinions based on experience and hearsay, personal experience is the best opinion. Last year my fiance and I went to the U.S. Open (tennis) in New York. We were seperated on the subway at 2 AM (don't ask me how...we just did ) There I was standing in the middle of Manhattan with giant tourist U.S. Open bags spinning around, lost. People helped me out and got me going in the right direction, my fiance befriended some people who took her under there wing and got her back to the hotel in lower Manhattan. So..... my point, in the past, New York did not have the greatest reputation, but my experience spoke volumes of what my perception was and my experience destroying that perception. I can't wait to go back this year. I think Detroit will do the same, become a better city.

Hi Virginia1

Long time no see just jump in mate boots n all dont worry about the rest mate , its only a small jump for you from one state to another state.

Mine is a little bigger jump from one side of the pacific ocean to the other side , then a few more miles to get there. Im now under contract on the sale of my last property over here n if all goes well ill be jumping in boots n all , with some luck before August depending on how quickly they do my paperwork , then my cute little ASS be living there......lol wooohooooo baby

At the end of the day , all you read here is some insight that you may like or not , its not here or there so to speak. Many people over here think im MAD heading there to live , i need to do it n live it , first hand to find out the truth for myself , ya need to give it a go i reckon.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM

Good to see you Mr. Aussie. When I first found out an Aussie was moving to Michigan I thought you were a little MAD also Everyone has reasons for making some big moves in there lives, it's just that not many of them are going to Michigan and I suppose that makes us the minority. I have not made the concrete decision yet to move up, still scoping things out. I have had various opinions and some folks have PM'ed me and let me know there experiences, some have moved back and moved right back out again, and some have moved back and stayed and are happy. I hem and haw over this and thank goodness my fiance is pretty chilled about it so I am not rushed, but I need to make decision this year ( I think I said that last year too ). My fiance and I will get together, that is a definite, wether it's this year or the next and by that time if I have not moved up then she'll come down here. I think I am a little looney for considering Detroit, compared to what I am used too, but as in Grand Rapids and pretty much the rest of Michigan the Real Estate is very attractive to me. I think the main issue I have with myself is the future of Michigan. I don't want to set up shop and then the situation gets worse. But I do want to buy some Real Estate, tired of renting even though I love living 1 block from the ocean. ( Can you tell I want my cake and eat it too.....don't answer that ) So don't count me out yet, still having visions of hanging out with Aussie Mate, drinking brewskies over the barbie in the countryside of Michigan .

Old 05-21-2007, 09:10 PM

188 posts, read 811,246 times
Hi mate

From what i read in yahoo finance , there are some awesome bargins to be had in downtown Detroit & even Grand Rapids ( ill pm the link so you can have a look ).

Old 05-23-2007, 12:57 PM

999 posts, read 4,529,024 times
Downtown Detroit is the safesty part of the city and has been for years. I would not consider living ANYWHERE else in Detroit. The downtown area has been the last hope of Detroit since the 70's. The rest of the city, for the most part keeps getting worse and worse and downtown keeps getting more and more money sunk into it. I'm serious. I would NOT live anywhere else in that city. NOT midtown, NOT New Center, NOT Palmer Park, not Southwest, not Corktown....Just downtown.

I was a policeman in Detroit for years before getting a job as a door gunner on a Hostess bread truck with a route in the 10th precinct. (just kidding....about the bread truck). Just know going in that the leadership of the city is totally inept. And the residents like it that way. They voted for a thug mayor because his much more qualified black opponent wasn't black enough. Your car and house insurance will suck. And there's a city income tax. You have to pay more to get less when it comes to city services in Detroit.

The city is 80-90% African-American with a good part of the rest being Hispanic, Arab and a few others.......If that matters to you.

Old 07-09-2007, 12:00 PM

10 posts, read 29,281 times
Default Moving Downtown

I agree with what most of the later entries are saying. Why would people spend millions of dollars on lofts, condos, entertainment, etc. in downtown Detroit if they were not going to get any return on their investment? Granted Downtown Detroit did used to be a scary place, but there has been great revitalization downtown. I work and go to school downtown, and I am thinking of moving there myself. (Just don't know if I can afford it yet) With the revitalization efforts that are going on downtown and hopefully the Michigan economy turning around soon investing in a home in downtown is a smart choice. The outer parts of the city are still not where they should be, but if you are in downtown or midtown, you are fine. you just need to take the same precautions that you would in any other big city. Good luck with your searching, and if you find a place let me know I might be interested as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit