Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 07:50 PM

37 posts, read 168,992 times

Advertisements

Why would anyone consider moving into Detroit ? Just watch the local news one night and that should ans your ? I am sorry to be sound rude about it but Detroit is a dangerous place to live, work , play etc... Everytime I or some one I know goes their we either get mugged ,car jacked ETC.. And the amount of murders daily would detour me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 08:27 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,205,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentaigirl10 View Post
Why would anyone consider moving into Detroit ? Just watch the local news one night and that should ans your ? I am sorry to be sound rude about it but Detroit is a dangerous place to live, work , play etc... Everytime I or some one I know goes their we either get mugged ,car jacked ETC.. And the amount of murders daily would detour me
Gimme a break! I'm also not trying to be rude, but everytime I or someone I know goes to the D, NONE OF THESE THINGS HAPPEN. Maybe you're going to the wrong part of town?

Old 07-13-2007, 01:06 PM

29 posts, read 87,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotownLowdown View Post
That quote is absolutely ridiculous. This person is asking about living in downtown Detroit. It is the safest area of the city. Why do you think there has been so much re-development there? People are buying lofts and WANT to live there.

It's that kind of mentality that keeps dragging the area down, and fosters the reputation that outsiders have of the Detroit area.
Get a gun permit which is easy to get and a good dog and bon bon vi.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:35 PM

607 posts, read 2,983,252 times
Downtown Detroit is very safe and has great lofts. it actually is a very nice area. look up the downtown crime and it is safer that that of Chicago's and of the average us city.

Old 07-16-2007, 05:37 PM

607 posts, read 2,983,252 times
all of these negative post of detroit and being so dangerous. actually live in the downtown area, it isn't dangerous at all!

Old 07-16-2007, 06:55 PM

999 posts, read 4,530,973 times
Quote:
all of these negative post of detroit and being so dangerous. actually live in the downtown area, it isn't dangerous at all!
I think downtown is the safest area in the city...But let's keep things in perspective. Those 9 people shot at the fireworks weren't indicative of a place that isn't dangerous at all....Not to mention the girl that was shot for looking at someone the wrong way outside a bar downtown. There's all kinds of dangerous people downtown. They're just not as active as in other places. A friend of mine's kid was just robbed at this year's fireworks. A guy stuck a gun under his chin and demanded his designer glasses. You didn't hear about that in the paper because they don't WANT you to hear about it.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:29 AM

210 posts, read 822,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I think downtown is the safest area in the city...But let's keep things in perspective. Those 9 people shot at the fireworks weren't indicative of a place that isn't dangerous at all....Not to mention the girl that was shot for looking at someone the wrong way outside a bar downtown. There's all kinds of dangerous people downtown. They're just not as active as in other places. A friend of mine's kid was just robbed at this year's fireworks. A guy stuck a gun under his chin and demanded his designer glasses. You didn't hear about that in the paper because they don't WANT you to hear about it.

This is right on point... I know someone who was *SHOT* right outside the Ren Cen. Not late at night, not a mugging. He worked in the RC and was walking back from lunch. Cops think a stray bullet came from one of the abandoned buildings nearby, probably from a drug deal gone bad.

Yes, it's safer than other parts of the city, quite a bit safer than areas like Little Saigon (at one time the cops wouldn't even go into Little Saigon at night)... but it is not safe like the suburbs.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:32 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,205,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I don't think anyone is saying that downtown is a utopia...

Statistically, dowtown Detroit IS safer than the downtowns of many other cities. It's a simple fact. That doesn't mean it completely free of crime, but that it fairs better than most.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,368 times
My husband and I currently live and work in detroit and love it! We live in the Brush park neighborhood and feel it's very safe and central to everything! I love telling people I live in Detroit, the reactions you get are very entertaining! Either people are very proud to have met someone that is giving the city a chance, or people are shocked and can't believe anyone would choose to live downtown. I am 29 and believe that there is a large population of 25-35 year olds moving into the city in the ever expanding awesome lofts & townhomes in the downtown vicinity. Don't let people who don't even visit the city tell you what to do...they shouldn't even be able to respond to the question having not lived in detroit and experienced such a great place for themselves!

Old 07-17-2007, 03:40 PM

999 posts, read 4,530,973 times
Quote:
Statistically, dowtown Detroit IS safer than the downtowns of many other cities. It's a simple fact. That doesn't mean it completely free of crime, but that it fairs better than most.
I would not believe the statistics provided by the city for one second.

For example, Detroit PD may say they have a 40% clearance rate for homicides. What they don't tell you is that they count cleared homicides from the previous year as cleared for the current year. Just one little slight of hand. There are all kinds of ways they manipulate the numbers that go to the FBI to be compiled into the FBI's Uniform Crime Report to make it look like the city in general and downtown in particular have less of a crime problem than they do in reality.

I can't think of any downtown areas in southeastern Michigan that are less safe than Detroit.

Quote:
My husband and I currently live and work in detroit and love it!
How long have you lived in the Brush Park area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit