Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 03:15 PM

607 posts, read 2,983,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
Am I the only one who thinks there's more to this question than the relative safety of downtown? Unless you enjoy looking at abandoned buildings, downtown isn't very desirable.

I have a simple test for whether or not an area is safe. If every home and business in an area has iron bars on the windows and/or doors, the area isn't safe. My neighborhood in Farmington Hills has no security doors (screen doors with reinforced bars). How many neighborhoods in Detroit can say that?
downtown isn't desirable? are you joking the downtown has a massive theatre district, a great riverwalk, has the tallest hotel in the western hemisphere, great architecture, great resturaunts, and getting some shopping outlets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2007, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I think downtown is the safest area in the city...But let's keep things in perspective. Those 9 people shot at the fireworks weren't indicative of a place that isn't dangerous at all....Not to mention the girl that was shot for looking at someone the wrong way outside a bar downtown. There's all kinds of dangerous people downtown. They're just not as active as in other places. A friend of mine's kid was just robbed at this year's fireworks. A guy stuck a gun under his chin and demanded his designer glasses. You didn't hear about that in the paper because they don't WANT you to hear about it.
yeah, but do you know how many people are at the fire works that day, one million people. so a little theft of glasses, as half the pop of chicago watches the fireworks isn't much.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:19 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,206,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake1256 View Post
yeah, but do you know how many people are at the fire works that day, one million people. so a little theft of glasses, as half the pop of chicago watches the fireworks isn't much.
Agreed. But keep in mind your supposed to believe some anonymous posters on a blog as opposed to your own experiences.

Old 07-19-2007, 03:30 PM

I know thats why city-data is pretty much pointless. it's just a million opinions on one site. but your personally experinces could be worse than the real city, if yuo have a bout of bad luck, and end up getting held up or soemthing.

I go to the most dangerous section of detroit, and have never seen anything . I eat at a place where they give you sandwhiches behind bullet proof glass(really good deli though)

Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Quote:
I know thats why city-data is pretty much pointless. it's just a million opinions on one site. but your personally experinces could be worse than the real city, if yuo have a bout of bad luck, and end up getting held up or soemthing.

I go to the most dangerous section of detroit, and have never seen anything . I eat at a place where they give you sandwhiches behind bullet proof glass(really good deli though)
I actually think that city-data is good BECAUSE of all the differing opinions. If you really have a need for info about a particular area you can read thru the threads and gain a general overview that more often than not is right on. You will see good and bad, but it's easy to tell who's posting fact vs. opinion.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:16 PM

yeah, that's true, but I've been seeing alot of people decide where there next home is off peoples opinions.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:34 PM

106 posts, read 414,742 times
Quote:
downtown isn't desirable? are you joking the downtown has a massive theatre district, a great riverwalk, has the tallest hotel in the western hemisphere, great architecture, great resturaunts, and getting some shopping outlets.
I graduated from Wayne State and I'm glad I don't have to go down there on a regular basis.

There are some nice things, as you say, but a lot is lacking. There isn't one national grocery chain in the city now that Farmer Jack pulled out. Think about that--it's amazing. I grew up in a city of 40,000 and we had 2 or 3 national groceries during my time there.

Also, there are a TON of empty lots and burned out or abandoned buildings downtown (and everywhere in the city). That's just not something I want to see on a daily basis--it's too depressing.

I must have missed the great shopping.

Old 07-19-2007, 10:10 PM

999 posts, read 4,531,353 times
Do you folks who say you have lived "in, or near Detroit" for a year, while actually living in a suburb in a different county, that just so happens to be one of the most conservative and wealthiest counties in the NATION, actually think you have a more credible perspective on Detroit than people who have lived and worked in Detroit (not the suburbs) for decades? God bless and keep you if you do. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt........

Quote:
I go to the most dangerous section of detroit, and have never seen anything .
And where might that be? Do you think the owner of your deli spent all that money to put the glass up for no reason? Or do you think that a PATTERN of armed robberies may have had something to do with it? It always amuses me to hear when someone infers an area is "safe" because they personally haven't been robbed or assaulted yet......

Old 07-20-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Do you folks who say you have lived "in, or near Detroit" for a year, while actually living in a suburb in a different county, that just so happens to be one of the most conservative and wealthiest counties in the NATION, actually think you have a more credible perspective on Detroit than people who have lived and worked in Detroit (not the suburbs) for decades? God bless and keep you if you do. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt........

And where might that be? Do you think the owner of your deli spent all that money to put the glass up for no reason? Or do you think that a PATTERN of armed robberies may have had something to do with it? It always amuses me to hear when someone infers an area is "safe" because they personally haven't been robbed or assaulted yet......
I think the area i go is dangerous! I'm just saying i haven't seen anything.

Old 07-20-2007, 08:49 AM

Quote:
LOL--All I'm saying is I have on many different occasions spent several hours at a time in Detroit. Walking around, driving around, shopping, eating, ect. My views are based on these experiences, and I round it out with those of people I know personally.

I conclude that Detroit has problems. I conclude that Detroit, even with those problems, is not Darfur. I do what is always prudent in any big city and watch my back and my wallet and hope for the best.

It's worked out so far.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit