Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 03:17 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,206,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
You know, you CAN say good things about what Detroit is doing right without being a cheerleader. And you can dog the city without being racist or fearmonger.
We agree!

I definately don't see myself as a Detroit cheerleader, but at times, I think I have been made one by default. I am not speaking to your posts specifically (which, USUALLY , are pretty fair, IMO) but it gets so frustrating to see people get on the forum and just sweep everything about Detroit (and sometimes the whole Metro) into one bag of crap. I then feel compelled to say "Hey! Wait! There are SOME good things about the town!" But then I'm accused of wearing blinders or whatever...but I bet anyone would be hard-pressed to find a post of mine about Detroit that paints an untrue picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:59 PM

578 posts, read 2,531,056 times
NOPE, visit, go see a show, game, then GET OUT BY DARK.

Old 07-25-2007, 05:30 PM

578 posts, read 2,531,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
We agree!

I definately don't see myself as a Detroit cheerleader, but at times, I think I have been made one by default. I am not speaking to your posts specifically (which, USUALLY , are pretty fair, IMO) but it gets so frustrating to see people get on the forum and just sweep everything about Detroit (and sometimes the whole Metro) into one bag of crap. I then feel compelled to say "Hey! Wait! There are SOME good things about the town!" But then I'm accused of wearing blinders or whatever...but I bet anyone would be hard-pressed to find a post of mine about Detroit that paints an untrue picture.
What about the ONES THAT ACTUALLY RESIDE IN DETROIT? I do, and I used to LOVE the smells of the Stroh's brewery, Silvercup bread at 5 a.m. along with the smell of the Detroit River, Greektown, Tiger Stadium (fresh-cut grass) hotdogs grilled...Etc. But after 25+ yrs. of that filty, racist, crime-ridden-corrupt-cops-city??? I GIVE UP, pi** on 'em, they can have it. Crooked Mayors Coleman Young's legacy was passed on to make millionaires of Jeff Archer (shrewd atty) then this young punk-jock Kwame Kilpatrick (who's mama got him his job) he is not qualified to be dogcatcher!

Old 07-26-2007, 09:12 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,206,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
What about the ONES THAT ACTUALLY RESIDE IN DETROIT? I do, and I used to LOVE the smells of the Stroh's brewery, Silvercup bread at 5 a.m. along with the smell of the Detroit River, Greektown, Tiger Stadium (fresh-cut grass) hotdogs grilled...Etc. But after 25+ yrs. of that filty, racist, crime-ridden-corrupt-cops-city??? I GIVE UP, pi** on 'em, they can have it. Crooked Mayors Coleman Young's legacy was passed on to make millionaires of Jeff Archer (shrewd atty) then this young punk-jock Kwame Kilpatrick (who's mama got him his job) he is not qualified to be dogcatcher!
It's sad, and it is apparent from all of the posts on these forums that you are not alone in your feelings. I simply contend that alot of good things are still here, and I cling to a hope that someday, the area will turn around. I don't claim to see the future, so I don't know how and when this will happen, if at all. But if the alternative is for things to get worse than they already are...I'll cling to hope and do what small things I can to bring change. If that doesn't work, and this place truly becomes Beruit, then in the interest of my kids, we will leave.

Hopefully, that is a worst case scenario that doesn't happen.

Old 07-26-2007, 10:23 AM

10 posts, read 29,291 times
Default Pop. Decline

I must say that there is a decline in the city of Detroit, in that statement you are correct. However, the city of Detroit is 143 sq. miles, that entire area is counted in the census. If you look at the city by districts downtown detroit actually gained 200 people in the last census. It went from like 6,100 to 6,300. Now, I am not saying that is the second coming of a once great city. I am just saying that there is a loy of excitement that is going on in downtown and people are moving in. Granted there are problems, but the entire area of detroit is counted in that not just downtown. The city is moving in a positive direction, despite what some may believe. Also, the housing value has increaed in downtown from 2000 -2005. Roughly 25,000 dollars a house, if you don't believe me look up the facts that are posted on this very website. I would also like to address two comments that I saw. The first being about tax abatements. It is very true that many of the companies that are coming to downtown are receiving tax breaks. This is on a 12 year plan. To the person who said that Compuware is going to leave, I just don't buy it. They have a sweet deal, plus it is just not cost efficeint for a company just to move there headquarters. I, also, believe that the said that compuware was going to leave Detroit in ten years back when there new facilities were just built. That was roughly 7 yrs ago and there are more and more shops going in around there everyday. They have a foothold in the turn around of Detroit. The next comment I would like to address is the person who said go enjoy a game, show, etc. but get out by dark. For some reason that just does not make any sense to me when most of the tigers games are played at night, and so are most of the shows. That was just a contradictory statement that bothered me a little. IMO I have been done in Detroit at night many times, I actually leave school around 10. I also come to the city regularly on weekends and stay until about 3 or 4. Never once have I had a problem. (That is my perception, that will not change no matter how much someone argues with it) Secondly, I am going to be working midnights in the city very soon, and have no fears about walking the streets at night by myself. I have done it thousands of times before.

Again, I hope that my ramblings make sense. Have a great day

Old 07-26-2007, 10:32 AM

Oh I am sorry, I wanted to mention one more thing. The corruption/ill doings of Kwayme and Coleman did effect the city. But Kwayme is not really in power of Detroit right now. If you notice all of the action that is going on and that he is given credit for are private investors and groups (One D, Detroit Riverfront Conservancy, etc.) So, there can still be an inept mayor and movement forward at the same time. I don't have the highest opinion of the mayor right now. However, he is doing a good job selling the city. The prime example of that is the possible move of quicken loans headquarters. So, you might have to overlook some things for the benefit of others. I mean look at JFk considered one of the best presidents. He was a womanizer and a cheat. Just anouther thought. I hope my posts help.

Old 07-26-2007, 11:21 AM

106 posts, read 414,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuesTR View Post
To the person who said that Compuware is going to leave, I just don't buy it. They have a sweet deal, plus it is just not cost efficeint for a company just to move there headquarters.
I agree completely.

Sincerely,
Comerica Bank

Old 07-26-2007, 11:27 AM

Don't necessarily know if it is Detroit or Michigan that forced the departure of Comerica. Becuase if I can remember correctly Dow, Ford, GM, Chryslaer, Phfizer. Are all having troubles, I may be wrong. But I am sure Detroit is to blame for all of that too.

Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM

999 posts, read 4,531,353 times
Quote:
To the person who said that Compuware is going to leave, I just don't buy it. They have a sweet deal, plus it is just not cost efficeint for a company just to move there headquarters.
They moved out of their old headquarters in the New Center area. And Ford pulled everyone out of the Ren Cen prior to GM moving in. Time will tell.

Old 07-26-2007, 03:02 PM

Isn't GM a larger corporation than Ford? Isn't Ford originally from Dearborn as well, so there is a historical tie to the area? Is it Compuware that moved from New Center? If that is the case, then they definitely made the right move in moving their building to a pretty hot spot during the work week. Again, I am sorry if it seems like I am attacking you personnally I tend to come of as brash sometimes. I do enjoy a good debate though, that is why I respond so quick. As for the time will tll part, I whole heartedly agree with you, but I do feel that Downtown is on the upside, as well as midtown. I just read someting in Crain saying that corporations are looking at Detroit as an amazing market. They can get river frontage for cheap, develop and secure it, and turn a huge profit. Again, just IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit