Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 03:05 PM

999 posts, read 4,531,137 times

Advertisements

We will seeeeee.............
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 12:04 AM

6 posts, read 36,826 times
I visit Downtown Detroit probally once every couple of months and when I do I always see something new or special going on. Im gonna say Downtown is a safe place to live in now and in the future. It has lower crime rates then the inner core and unique beautiful new condos arising everywhere. Plus a beautiful view of the famous art deco style building and post gothic Comerica Towere along with the monstrous extravegent Ren Cen. Downtown Detroit is an under rated up and coming paradise.

Old 08-01-2007, 03:25 PM

607 posts, read 2,983,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Midwest View Post
I visit Downtown Detroit probally once every couple of months and when I do I always see something new or special going on. Im gonna say Downtown is a safe place to live in now and in the future. It has lower crime rates then the inner core and unique beautiful new condos arising everywhere. Plus a beautiful view of the famous art deco style building and post gothic Comerica Towere along with the monstrous extravegent Ren Cen. Downtown Detroit is an under rated up and coming paradise.
true til the last word.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:50 PM

10 posts, read 29,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
I agree completely.

Sincerely,
Comerica Bank
I think here is a little proof that Compuware is sticking around for a little while. That is if their stock stays up, and they can trim the fat of the company. Karmanos digs in to fix Compuware (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707280387 - broken link) I am going to say it again. I just think that Downtown Detroit is on an upswing. It is apparent by many of the things that people who go down on a daily basis see, as well as, people who want to see it. If you have a bad view of Detroit, you always will unless it turns into Chicago or New York overnight. That is not going to happen. It is a slow process that has started and is continuing in Detroit. I, could not agree more with the previous two posters. I also believe that Detroit is a gem waiting to be polished.

Old 08-02-2007, 04:41 PM

106 posts, read 414,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuesTR View Post
I think here is a little proof that Compuware is sticking around for a little while. That is if their stock stays up, and they can trim the fat of the company. Karmanos digs in to fix Compuware (http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007707280387 - broken link) I am going to say it again. I just think that Downtown Detroit is on an upswing. It is apparent by many of the things that people who go down on a daily basis see, as well as, people who want to see it. If you have a bad view of Detroit, you always will unless it turns into Chicago or New York overnight. That is not going to happen. It is a slow process that has started and is continuing in Detroit. I, could not agree more with the previous two posters. I also believe that Detroit is a gem waiting to be polished.
Well, the city has nowhere to go but up. I wish it well.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:02 AM

12 posts, read 80,293 times
I wouldn't be so confident to say it has nowhere to go but up. I wish it well also, but the city cannot and is not resting what it has built up so far. There is still a ton of work to be done in downtown alone. With the economy it is a challenge and a gamble! Although I moved out decades ago, I have been following my former hometown the entire time. While downtown now looks cleaner and has more sparkle than it did twenty-five years ago, there were more people and more businesses downtown during the work day back then.

However, it has been very interesting following the progress and decline of Detroit for the past 25 years. For years, for every step forward, Detroit would take two steps back. Now at least it seems as if it is almost treading water. Hope it can hang on and do well.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:17 PM

41 posts, read 183,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
I have posted on this forum many times. I currently live in Va. Beach and my Fiance lives in Flint. I am considering moving up and have mainly thought of moving to Grand Rapids. Since I have been looking at real estate to buy I have looked all over Michigan. I came upon some loft style condos in Detroit mostly in the Midtown and Downtown areas and really liked them. I have been to Detroit on occasion, Royal Oak, Ferndale, etc. I have read varying opinions about Downtown, good and bad. I am in the medical field and I could most likely find a job at DMC. I have read that there are some racial tensions and mean spirited people in the Detroit City area with high crime. I also have read of people living in the downtown area and have not had any problems. So here is my question or questions Are there signs of Detroit revitilazation (spell) going on? Is the immediate downtown area safer then lets say the outer boundaries of the center city, which I have seen. Kids are in college so I will be on my own mostly. Please only respond if you really have experience living in the center city area or midtown. It would be most helpful. Thanks.
You should definitely move Downtown and I"ll tell you why... we have the beautiful Riverfront where you can go to relax and read a book. Also the great music scene at the Majestic Theatre thats near the Midtown area that you may consider living. Not to metion all of Architectural Pride in our building have you seen the Guardian building, ohh simply Beautiful. And just the whole Urban Living you just can't get in the suburbs. So I will give you some websites to check out to help make your decision,detroitmidtown.com, downtowndetroit.org. I absolutely love Midtown you have all of the museums within blocks of each other plus the annual festivals that I love you have to check out Noel Night which will be coming up soon ohh they have so much to do in the summer its the best. Most importantly they have DMC Hospitals One of the Best Childrens hospital in the country is there. Plus Harper and Detroit Receiving. Happy house hunting and Welcome to our Great City.

Old 10-16-2007, 02:08 PM

156 posts, read 563,263 times
Post Downtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
Please only respond if you really have experience living in the center city area or midtown. It would be most helpful. Thanks.
Virginia 1, perhaps you've already gone on to other things and I apologize for the belated reply. However, I think I fit your requirements as I do live downtown. The more balanced replies have it right - make no mistake this city has crime and other issues, but there is a good side here as well. Having spent a good deal of time in Boston, New York, Paris, London and Tokyo, I must admit that Detroit does not exactly measure up to those, but then again nobody ever claimed that it does.
I've lived downtown for about a year and must honestly say that I enjoy it, and have never felt in any danger. I get harassed by the occasional "homeless" person but more frequently than that I get asked for directions by desperate suburbanites too afraid to ask directions from any of the many black people walking around. Now, I will admit that I am a pretty big guy which I am told keeps some of the riffraff away, and that could be true. But it is also true that neither I nor anyone I know living downtown, male or female, has ever had issues with crime. Downtown, by the way, is usually defined as the area bordered by I-75 to the north, I-375 to the east, the Detroit river to the south, and the Lodge (M-10) freeway to the west.
I work downtown as well and walk to work everyday while I laugh at my colleagues who have to put up with the traffic (on I-75 mostly; it is probably a bit better on 96). I can stop by a bar on the way home (of which there are many good offerings), have a few drinks, and not worry about having to get in my car for a 20-mile commute.
Downtown also offers the beautiful, if half-abandoned, architecture. There is the riverfront, and Belle Isle and its combined view of downtown and the Ambassador bridge which really can't be beat. There are a good number of dining and entertainment options most of which are within walking distance. However, even within downtown, there are a couple of areas that some people like to avoid, such as the Capitol Park area with its bus terminal and a few of the vestigial crackheads (and I do mean vestigial - crack really isn't an issue here or in any other city anymore) still hanging around. But most of the people at the bust stops are just working stiffs like you and me waiting to go home. And I will say I've walked around even Capitol Park (home to some of the best pizza in Detroit - Detroit Pizza Factory) late at night without a problem - again, that is my own personal experience so I can't guarantee the same for everyone.
Plus, I have what I call an "allergy" regarding suburbs - I love the city and I love the country but I just get the heebeejeebees when I have to spend any amount of time in the anonymous, cookie-cutter, have-to-drive-everywhere, Mcmansion, cul-de-sac, industrial park, big-box strip mall wasteland better known as the suburbs. So call me biased if you must. I don't know, maybe if I had kids it would be different, because I admit if I did I would not send them to Detroit public schools, although I hear there are a few good ones among the bad even in Detroit. I will say, though, that I agree with the positive posts of the Royal Oak/Ferndale area, which are hip and happening, if a little small, and the Gross Pointes as well, which is a beautiful old community(ies).
Finally, as a renter, I was almost forced to live downtown because, unless I rented a whole house, every apartment I looked at outside the city was old and ordinary at best. Downtown offers a number of really cool lofts for rent and purchase (I rent mine).
Sorry for rambling on, but I suppose there was a bit of venting happening here.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 PM

3 posts, read 14,818 times
HI;
I am a senior medical student in PA. I will start my residency in mid June in Down Detroit. I have some questions, i would really appreciate if some can help me with:
1) I will be working long and stressful hours. I value decent and quiet neighborhood. is there any place in Detroit that is close to Ford Hospital that has that. I have NO tolerance for any loud music or social gathering afte 9 pm. are big expensivebuildings really safe and peaceful?( nice neighbors are sometimes not fun to have as neighbors). Online is full of polarized opnion and does not help anyone.
2) I am an avid walker and not big on driving, but i have read about Royal Oak, how far is that from Ford Hospital lets say at 5:00 Am in the morning. and how bad is traffic around 6-7 pm? and can I find an apartment in a family house or smaller building in the that area that is closer to downtown Detroit?
I profoundly appreciate all the feedback. thankx abd enjoy ur day

Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 AM

155 posts, read 559,173 times
I live downtown on Cadillac Square, and I've never been scared or frightened being out late at night. Hell, no one is even OUT that time of night. I've never experienced crime, nor seen a crime. You shouldn't have any problem with being downtown. The only bad thing is that there is nothing open after a specific time, and there's nothing down here as far as commercial restaurants or party stores. I don't have a car, so realistically I'm not about to wait for the bus in the cold just cause I got a craving for a bag of chips, or I run out of something and need to stock up, but if you have a car that's no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit