Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:20 PM

68 posts, read 284,221 times

Advertisements

I'd live there, hell I've even gone so far as to looking into it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2008, 04:47 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia1 View Post
I have posted on this forum many times. I currently live in Va. Beach and my Fiance lives in Flint. I am considering moving up and have mainly thought of moving to Grand Rapids. Since I have been looking at real estate to buy I have looked all over Michigan. I came upon some loft style condos in Detroit mostly in the Midtown and Downtown areas and really liked them. I have been to Detroit on occasion, Royal Oak, Ferndale, etc. I have read varying opinions about Downtown, good and bad. I am in the medical field and I could most likely find a job at DMC. I have read that there are some racial tensions and mean spirited people in the Detroit City area with high crime. I also have read of people living in the downtown area and have not had any problems. So here is my question or questions Are there signs of Detroit revitilazation (spell) going on? Is the immediate downtown area safer then lets say the outer boundaries of the center city, which I have seen. Kids are in college so I will be on my own mostly. Please only respond if you really have experience living in the center city area or midtown. It would be most helpful. Thanks.
It's fine to live down here safety wise. Be prepared to drive for shopping.

It's pretty obvious that these people don't spend much time downtown. Our downtown is very very small. There are not a ton of people who actually live in downtown. If not for games and such....the place is actually pretty dead. I walk home at all hours of the night with ZERO problems. All this talk of turning a corner and ending up dead is total b.s.

Last edited by Slappy san; 02-11-2008 at 05:29 PM..

Old 02-11-2008, 05:31 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhEdo View Post
Virginia 1, perhaps you've already gone on to other things and I apologize for the belated reply. However, I think I fit your requirements as I do live downtown. The more balanced replies have it right - make no mistake this city has crime and other issues, but there is a good side here as well. Having spent a good deal of time in Boston, New York, Paris, London and Tokyo, I must admit that Detroit does not exactly measure up to those, but then again nobody ever claimed that it does.
I've lived downtown for about a year and must honestly say that I enjoy it, and have never felt in any danger. I get harassed by the occasional "homeless" person but more frequently than that I get asked for directions by desperate suburbanites too afraid to ask directions from any of the many black people walking around. Now, I will admit that I am a pretty big guy which I am told keeps some of the riffraff away, and that could be true. But it is also true that neither I nor anyone I know living downtown, male or female, has ever had issues with crime. Downtown, by the way, is usually defined as the area bordered by I-75 to the north, I-375 to the east, the Detroit river to the south, and the Lodge (M-10) freeway to the west.
I work downtown as well and walk to work everyday while I laugh at my colleagues who have to put up with the traffic (on I-75 mostly; it is probably a bit better on 96). I can stop by a bar on the way home (of which there are many good offerings), have a few drinks, and not worry about having to get in my car for a 20-mile commute.
Downtown also offers the beautiful, if half-abandoned, architecture. There is the riverfront, and Belle Isle and its combined view of downtown and the Ambassador bridge which really can't be beat. There are a good number of dining and entertainment options most of which are within walking distance. However, even within downtown, there are a couple of areas that some people like to avoid, such as the Capitol Park area with its bus terminal and a few of the vestigial crackheads (and I do mean vestigial - crack really isn't an issue here or in any other city anymore) still hanging around. But most of the people at the bust stops are just working stiffs like you and me waiting to go home. And I will say I've walked around even Capitol Park (home to some of the best pizza in Detroit - Detroit Pizza Factory) late at night without a problem - again, that is my own personal experience so I can't guarantee the same for everyone.
Plus, I have what I call an "allergy" regarding suburbs - I love the city and I love the country but I just get the heebeejeebees when I have to spend any amount of time in the anonymous, cookie-cutter, have-to-drive-everywhere, Mcmansion, cul-de-sac, industrial park, big-box strip mall wasteland better known as the suburbs. So call me biased if you must. I don't know, maybe if I had kids it would be different, because I admit if I did I would not send them to Detroit public schools, although I hear there are a few good ones among the bad even in Detroit. I will say, though, that I agree with the positive posts of the Royal Oak/Ferndale area, which are hip and happening, if a little small, and the Gross Pointes as well, which is a beautiful old community(ies).
Finally, as a renter, I was almost forced to live downtown because, unless I rented a whole house, every apartment I looked at outside the city was old and ordinary at best. Downtown offers a number of really cool lofts for rent and purchase (I rent mine).
Sorry for rambling on, but I suppose there was a bit of venting happening here.
The Pizza Factory is ok. The problem is when you have to reheat it.

Give Cottage Inn a try.

Old 02-13-2008, 08:07 PM

23 posts, read 73,665 times
Default Downtown Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
It's fine to live down here safety wise. Be prepared to drive for shopping.
It's pretty obvious that these people don't spend much time downtown. Our downtown is very very small. There are not a ton of people who actually live in downtown. If not for games and such....the place is actually pretty dead. I walk home at all hours of the night with ZERO problems. All this talk of turning a corner and ending up dead is total b.s.
I agree I've been in and around Downtown since I was 17 (I'm 27 now)
Downtown isn't like the rest of this Crappy state. Downtown has a lot of younger open minded students\professionals that live down there.
Crime downtown is almost nonexistent. Because the people that commit all the murders you hear about live in the Neighborhoods. And NEVER come downtown because its nothing for them down there, (Schools, Jobs, Libraries what thug needs that stuff? Nobody to sell crack too there!)
So Midtown\Downtown are Great areas, sometimes you forget your in this Craphole called Michigan, and you MIGHT just MIGHT feel like you were in a progressive city like Chicago.
As far as racial tension its not happening in Midtown\downtown. The culture there is actually more of a "Family" feeling because everyone in midtown knows someone and they all run in the same circles. So once you get down here and meet people your all set.
Hope that helps.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 AM

334 posts, read 1,371,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontayan View Post
I agree I've been in and around Downtown since I was 17 (I'm 27 now)
Downtown isn't like the rest of this Crappy state. Downtown has a lot of younger open minded students\professionals that live down there.
Crime downtown is almost nonexistent. Because the people that commit all the murders you hear about live in the Neighborhoods. And NEVER come downtown because its nothing for them down there, (Schools, Jobs, Libraries what thug needs that stuff? Nobody to sell crack too there!)
So Midtown\Downtown are Great areas, sometimes you forget your in this Craphole called Michigan, and you MIGHT just MIGHT feel like you were in a progressive city like Chicago.
As far as racial tension its not happening in Midtown\downtown. The culture there is actually more of a "Family" feeling because everyone in midtown knows someone and they all run in the same circles. So once you get down here and meet people your all set.
Hope that helps.
Maybe you've spent too much time in Detroit, stop lumping the city of Detroit in with the whole state. Detroit is just a slice of Michigan, have you been to Traverse city, Grand rapids, Ann arbor, and Detroit's nice suburbs? Detroit's lost 1 million people, but so has Chicago.....

Old 11-14-2008, 06:09 PM

2,601 posts, read 8,520,885 times
What are the boundaries of downtown? Is everyone saying the riverfront as one heads east or west is not as safe as downtown? Indian Hills - the marina district -- are those areas not safe?

Old 11-15-2008, 08:57 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Downtown is not dead. there is a lot going on there, especially in the summer. However you may have to search to find it. Look on the internet.

Old 04-21-2009, 02:54 PM

186 posts, read 587,940 times
If you can afford it than it's a wonderful place to live and I think it's a good competitor of Manhattan, New York.

Old 05-09-2010, 03:40 PM

1 posts, read 2,080 times
It is called BIRMINGHAM/BLOOMFIELD, if your a doctor you should be able to afford it

It is where all of the cities former wealth has migrated to.

One can drive down Woodward Avenue and be downtown in 30-45 minutes, or take the highway (I-75) and get there in 20-30 minutes. (from BB)

Last edited by Yac; 05-10-2010 at 01:46 AM..

Old 05-09-2010, 06:28 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,905,247 times
I used to think I'd live downtown. Three words to the wide: City Income Tax. Has the Riverwalk and the Dequindre bike trail become new stomping grounds for vagrants yet? Yes, I'm anti-Detroit for the most part. I don't believe in the renaissance of the Renaissance City. It would be Flint or Youngstown but the economy is too diversified.
Also, there are chain supermarkets in the city, contrary to popular belief and an earlier post. There are two Aldis (Mack/Alter and 8/Gratiot; I occasionally go there), several Save-A-Lots (Schaefer and Tireman, Houston-Whittier and Queen, Harper and Conner, Gratiot near the Faygo plant), and a Super K Mart near 7 and Telegraph that charges higher prices than suburban K Marts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit