Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 07:30 PM

205 posts, read 653,806 times

Advertisements

scolls, I don't know if you are white, black, or purple and I don't care. if we're wrong about the 80 being less desirable - why are real estate agents marketing homes in the 81 and 82 as N SCS? Its because the average homebuyer in the area does not want to buy in southern SCS. you can cry and whine and point your finger all you want but its a fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 AM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
Yeah - we moved out of SCS a couple of years ago. The south-end of town has a lot of crime problems and the older folks that we knew in that area were always complaining because "it never used to be so bad". But SCS is an inner ring suburb and it's close to the highways.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
So you have crime statistics that show the 48080 zip code is any higher than the others?

You mean north SCS and south SCS has nothing to do with people trying to distance themselves from 8 Mile?
Go ask the police officers that patrol and respond to calls for service in the area. I'm sure they'll tell you. OMG CRIME STATS OR ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!111

Old 11-30-2009, 02:18 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
This less desirable population moving in is who? Blacks? Me?
Are you less desirable?

Old 12-01-2009, 01:07 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Go ask the police officers that patrol and respond to calls for service in the area. I'm sure they'll tell you. OMG CRIME STATS OR ITS NOT TRUE!!!!!!111

If you are going to say crime is higher in one area then yea, crime stats or it's not true. Pretty simple no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Are you less desirable?
You tell me. You seem to know more about this less desirable population. Please enlighten us on the less desirables.

Old 12-03-2009, 11:21 AM

12 posts, read 38,022 times
hi guys, thanks for all the responses, my husband is on the phone right now, he's looking at roseville rental houses. you havent mentioned roseville much, any info?? really appreciating this

Old 12-03-2009, 02:18 PM

34 posts, read 155,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandaloof View Post
hi guys, thanks for all the responses, my husband is on the phone right now, he's looking at roseville rental houses. you havent mentioned roseville much, any info?? really appreciating this
Roseville would, IMO, be two if not three steps below SCS as far as desireable places to live.

Old 12-03-2009, 02:45 PM

thanks much! he just had lunch at the bluegoose and is looking in st clair shores, i thinks thats where were going
cant wait to get to your great state!!!

cheers.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:37 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,002,191 times
Nobody on this forum is going to recommend Roseville because it's an inner ring suburb. I was looking to buy at 13 and Gratiot and it was a perfectly fine neighborhood. You'll realize that everybody on this forum is terrified of Detroit and feel you need to be as far away as possible. If I would've listened to this forum, I wouldn't have even driven through Harper Woods let alone live there. I am estatic I ignored the forum and bought there. I love Harper Woods.

Here is my advice and how I settled on Harper Woods. Go to the area yourself. I spent a month investigating Harper Woods. First I drove down all the streets (Harper Woods is 2 sq miles at most) and I drove them at different hours. I don't mean go one time on one day. I drove the streets for about 2-3 weeks. I went in the morning when school was starting, at lunch time, when school got out, at dinner time, at night, at the middle of the night, weekdays, weekends etc. I observed the people and did make stereotypes. Yes I saw a couple blacks walking the streets with baggy clothes, corn rows, and doo rags. I also seen well dressed people (black and white) going to church, young and old couples walking their dog, children playing in yards and parks. I parked and just sat for a couple hours and observed people. I spent one night from 1 AM to 4 Am just driving around to see if the neighborhood was quiet and if I saw suspicious people. After that I stopped and asked people walking about the neighborhood. Everyone I talked to was more than willing to talk to me about the neighborhood. All of them had good things to say. Some said the city was darker than it used to be, but I asked if they were causing trouble and they said no. Then when I found the house I was interested in, I knocked on neighbors doors and asked about the area. The neighbors were friendly and had good things to say. I went a step further and went to city hall. I went in with phony questions to see of the city hall was friendly and if they seemed to care about the city. The people were friendly and answered all my questions. There was a sign about a town hall meeting and I told the lady I'm interested in moving to Harper Woods and would like to attend the meeting. She said no problem. I got to meet more people and see what problems the city was facing. After the meeting I gathered the city has a lot of residents who care about the city and city hall and the police want to improve the city. I called my realtor the very next day and placed the bid on my house.

The moral of the story is, don't listen to people who don't live in these communities and just spew the usual retoric. I love Harper Woods and I'm glad I took the time to investigate the city instead of listening to people who never lived there and are just repeating retoric and terrified because it borders Detroit. Do the leg work yourself.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:40 PM

hI sCOLLS,
I can't tell you how much I appreciate you taking the time to write about Harper woods, I did the very same thing a couple of years ago when we were looking at buying a house in downtown San Jose, ca...same story, place looked a bit shabby in parts, nice in others and i met with local council officials to really see what was going on, they were honest about the good and bad and we were ready to buy however if you know anything about CA you'll know, prices were outrageous and we couldn't afford it.
I think every area deserves a chance to be improved and the more good people moving in anywhere can only improve the overall community.
Right now we'll be renting short term until we can get to know the whole place and we will definitely be looking everywhere especially when hopefully we will be ready to buy something.
I really appreciate all the comments on this forum, my apologies for perhaps stirring up some rivalry and look forward to moving to michigan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit