Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 05:02 PM

54 posts, read 141,445 times

Advertisements

Good list by CJ. I would add Troy to the bottom bracket. Troy and Novi are McMansionland, and you'll need your car to get to the toilet. Their "downtowns" are really the Somerset and Twelve Oaks Malls.

Since you'll be working in Pontiac, I'd focus on Birmingham and Rochester.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 15,108 times
I hadn't considered Oak Park, I'll have to check that out. Sounds like I can't have it all though. Someone at work mention Clarkston, which I didn't realize had a downtown...

Old 12-21-2009, 01:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
Hi, I'm looking to move in the Detroit area and am looking for a suburb with some kind of downtown that is walking accessible from the houses in the area. I've looked a little bit and know that Milford and Royal Oak have that kind of setup. I know Novi has a "downtown" (if you can call it that) but you can hardly walk to it from any residential area. Any suggestions? School districts are also a consideration as is ethnic diversity (as in I would like to live somewhere with some ethnic diversity). I will be working in Pontiac and my wife will be working in Southfield.
Considering both of your commutes, I'd say Royal Oak is your best bet ... I've been living there almost 2 years and it's about as close as you can get to a walkable downtown area. Southfield is about 20 minutes West on I-696 and Pontiac is about 20-30 minutes North depending on how close you are to the freeway.

There are plenty of nice homes for sale for very affordable prices, and the apartments aren't too expensive either, unless you are right in the middle of the action (Main St / Washington Ave).

IMO, Novi is too far for Pontiac / Southfield commute.

My gf works in Pontiac and goes to school in Flint; she likes that we're right next to I-75 so her commute is 20 minutes. I work in Sterling Heights so my commute is also 20 minutes. We aren't right downtown but within ~5 minutes driving from there, and it's been nice.

Good luck!

Old 12-21-2009, 01:28 PM

2 posts, read 4,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by philthy View Post
I hadn't considered Oak Park, I'll have to check that out. Sounds like I can't have it all though. Someone at work mention Clarkston, which I didn't realize had a downtown...
Also, I wouldn't recommend Oak Park ... I have a relatively neutral opinion about it, just haven't ever heard a good or bad thing about it. Never had a reason to go, so I can only guess there's not much to see or do there.

Old 12-21-2009, 07:42 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,849,589 times
Why not go with Pontiac itself?

Old 12-22-2009, 08:05 AM

I haven't looked around Pontiac too much yet, but I work right next to the shut down GM truck plant and the people here joke about it calling it the "I Am Legend" area beacuse you can see wildlife (deer, foxes) running around the vacant parking lots. So what I've seen near here is a mix of newer strip malls and grim looking housing.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
I thought that schools were an issue. If so, then Pontiac and Royal Oak are both eliminated. Rochester is probably your best bet. The downtown is neat buit small. Birmingham might be a good option if you are wealthy. Bloomfiled Hills as well if you are very wealthy

Old 12-22-2009, 02:49 PM

Default Order of importance

I would say this would be my priorities:

1) Good Schools
2) No McMansion
3) Racial diversity/ walkable downtown (I'll take either one)

I'm not wealthy so Birmingham is probably out.

Old 12-22-2009, 03:59 PM

28 posts, read 106,553 times
Royal Oak sounds like the best suburb for you then. I don't know why people are equating Royal Oak schools to being lesser quality. They aren't at Birmingham level but they are above average, most notably the elementary schools. Northwood is housed in a building only a year old.

It sounds like you're a fan of older homes and you can't go wrong in Royal Oak. I've lived here for two years and I'm continually blown away by the beautiful old neighborhoods. The area between Catalpa (11 1/2 mile) and Webster (12 1/2 mile) and Woodward and Crooks is absolutely gorgeous. Tons of tudors, dutch colonials, cape cods and other houses that aren't so easily categorized but all architecturally interesting, plus lots of big trees, some hilly-ness (always shocking to people that think Michigan is flat) and sidewalks everywhere.

As mentioned, there's not much racial diversity in the residents but you do see people of all shapes, sizes and colors in the downtown area and also along Woodward Ave., the other main shopping and dining area of RO.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,036 times
Default Downtowns and School Districts in Oakland County

I have lived in Michigan nearly all of my life. My childhood hometown, Dearborn is still a pleasant place with cute brick bungalos and a downtown that is trying to develop in spite of the economy and it's recent influx of foreign born residents. West Bloomfield is probably one of the most diverse communities in the county - but no downtown at all. WB has an excellent reputation for low crime and a good school district. It was also voted #14 overall by Money magazine, but we're not crazy about it, so we are moving. We like downtown areas too. Ann Arbor definately has a great downtown, but it's not diverse - it's really more a university/medical town. We love Birmingham's downtown area - it's considered the best in Oakland County. I do not think there is much diversity there however. Great boutiques. I hope offices and banks don't take over, but it is beginning to happen. The town is charming and feels like home. Unique homes of all sizes, brownstones, apartments are all available, and the prices are getting more reasonable with the unfortunate decline in the economy. There's still lots of activity right now. Not previously mentioned Rochester is pretty nice, and there is Plymouth too. Some of the lower income areas with downtowns that were mentioned are so-so..maybe a little scary for crime and schools. But I guess it really depends on your price range and expectations. Michigan schools overall are very good for normal kids. EXCEPT DETROIT PUBLIC SCHOOLS in Wayne County, sadly. The best school district hands down is Bloomfield Hills, Oakland County. Special needs kids have a difficult time anywhere in Michigan!!! NO CHOICES for them at all. That's why we are looking to move out state. Good luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit