Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,347 times

Advertisements

In your opinion, can a family of two make it comfortably in a decent 2 br apartment with about 57 to 70K per year?

Are there nice but more inexpensive areas nearby?

Thanks,

ginny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2007, 07:02 PM

3 posts, read 9,325 times
I grew up in Farmington Hills. I know this post is a little late but I thought I would respond

The schools are the best. I attended North Farmington High School, Warner Middle School and Forest elementary.

When I grew up there, there was hardly any crime. People are nice. I had a great time in F.H. and I am sorry I had to move away (I am married now with kids) and I now live out-of-state.

But I loved it and I think anyone who would live there and raise a family is great!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:22 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,897,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gblooker View Post
In your opinion, can a family of two make it comfortably in a decent 2 br apartment with about 57 to 70K per year?

Are there nice but more inexpensive areas nearby?
1. Absolutely
2. Hmm, try Livonia

Old 11-17-2007, 07:24 PM

56 posts, read 178,387 times
I use to live in Farmington Hills between 12 and 13, and I loved it there and the schools are one of the best

Old 03-05-2009, 11:43 AM

9 posts, read 54,574 times
I am very intrested in more information about the area. I have a young family and I need a nice neighborhood that is safe, with kids running around! I found a house I really like in Farmington Hills, but I don't know if thats a desirable area? Its at 13 mile and Farmington Rd. If anyone can give me some info on schools near there and culture of the area that would be great!!
I want to raise my kids in a safe place, that has a good outlook in the future. I do not want to buy a house and have the neighborhood go to crap in 5 yrs you know!!

Old 03-30-2009, 10:43 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post
Trailer parks are automatically not safe? Wow. That is the area I was referring to that's a little older, but I think it's perfectly safe.
It's a little seedy but it's not as bad as Southfield, Oak Park, Redford, or Detroit. The Farmitucky area doesn't pollute the rest of the city or anything like that.

Farmington Hills is home to the middle class and some upper middle class and some lower middle class. As a general rule, economic class increases as you go north and west, away from Detroit. If you're looking into Farmington Hills, you might also consider West Bloomfield, just north of it, which has a larger percentage of upper middle class.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:49 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,061,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprmom View Post
I am very intrested in more information about the area. I have a young family and I need a nice neighborhood that is safe, with kids running around! I found a house I really like in Farmington Hills, but I don't know if thats a desirable area? Its at 13 mile and Farmington Rd. If anyone can give me some info on schools near there and culture of the area that would be great!!
I want to raise my kids in a safe place, that has a good outlook in the future. I do not want to buy a house and have the neighborhood go to crap in 5 yrs you know!!
13 Mile and Farmington Road should be fine. That's a solidly middle class area. The high school would be North Farmington, which, as far as I know, is an excellent high school.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:11 PM

3 posts, read 6,955 times
I live off Farmington btw 12 and 13 mile rds. We love it here. Kids went through the school system, last one graduates this spring (North Farmington HS). Couldn't be happier with the quality of the schools. Very diverse student body. One of the Multicultural districts student teachers are required to do some form of student teaching requirement in.

Great family neighborhood-you actually speak with your neighbors-neighborhood events, association meetings, etc.

Close to the mall (right down 12 mile), restaurants, freeways,etc.

Oh-and we lived in West Bloomfield for 7 years-we prefer Farmington Hills.

Last edited by Tophersmom; 04-01-2009 at 09:12 PM.. Reason: adding

Old 05-27-2009, 05:30 PM

3 posts, read 6,663 times
As a resident of Farmington Hills for the past 10+ years, I have been reading this thread with some interest. Sorry for jumping in late - I am only just getting registered and seeing the thread today.

It occurs to me that there are a few basic questions most people would like to know about any place before committing to moving there.

What are the schools like and are they considered good?
Is the crime rate low/ is it safe?
How are the city/town services?
What are the people generally like there?

Of course there are other questions but I think these are the basic ones and most common.

To add my opinions here on the above:

Schools - They are accepted as some of the best around. The facilities are well-appointed and the educators seem on top of their games. There is probably always going to be room for improvement, but a child could do much worse than the schools here.

Crime rate/safety - Farmington Hills itself has over 80,000 residents. Anytime there are that many people in the area, some things happen. Having said that, it is mostly the picture of suburbia. It is very definitely safe to walk the streets and although I would not recommend anyone do this, probably also safe to leave the door unlocked (we've done it a few times by accident). The areas described in other posts (i.e. 8 mile and Inkster, etc) are older and really just different than say something around 12 mile and Farmington. I lived near a trailer park in FH for a stretch and felt it was mostly older people on fixed incomes, also some younger families. Never felt threatened in any way but I do understand the reluctance of some to live near due to uncertainty. The police have always been very responsive to any call I have made, whether it was some kids burning trash in an old field or a dog barking at 2 in the morning that wouldn't shut up. They respond quickly and are professional.

City services - Always have been good for me. Some of the parks here are really nice. Founders is a great place to watch a youth ballgame and the ice rink is nice as well. They are currently adding an outdoor skate park. Other areas and parks are also very well kept.

People - My perspective is that I moved to Michigan from the east coast and I always felt people here were nice and not rude. I have heard from others and also read in forums like this that others have a somewhat different opinion. It really depends on what you are used to. I like most of my neighbors - some are a little distant at times but all are friendly if approached. I think the society we now live in with the internet and TV, music, etc feeds the individual to disassociate and this may be why things seem to have changed over many years. I'm not knocking it either way - time moves on.

To sum it up I believe anyone who is considering a move here would find a wonderful area with lots to offer inside and outside the hometown. I've long felt that this west-side area (including Novi, Northville, Livonia etc) is more of a hub than anywhere else in the metro area. You are handy to downtown Detroit via freeways, Royal Oak, Pontiac/Auburn Hills, and don't forget Ann Arbor is really only about 15-20 minutes by freeway as well. Shopping, restaurants, schools, accessibility all make this a nice area to live in.

Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,749 times
Sorry I'm a little bit late on this...

I grew up in Farmington Hills and lived on the north side at 13 mile and middle belt. I Went to Eagle Elementary, Warner Middle and Harrison High. I graduated in 2002 and moved away for college but still have friends there and visit frequently.

The schools are top notch. They have the newest technology, clean facilities and the staff maintains a strong reputation for education and extra curriculars. The teachers are actually paid well so the kids that want to learn get a great education. I think one poster commented on "other" students coming in from "surrounding areas" and brining with them "violence." They were referring to black students coming from Detroit, this trend is definitely noticeable at Harrison High School but no need to worry. The kids that come from Detroit actually want the opportunity to learn in an environment with great teachers and zero hostility. I never felt unsafe while at school, we had a few fights and some other BS but no more or no less than your average suburban school system. I don't remember the exact statistics but I think Farmington Public Schools have well above average test scores and one of the highest graduation rates in the area.

For a few consecutive years earlier this decade Farmington Hills was the safest city in the state. The police are ALWAYS out patrolling. Be careful because the city's (Farmington + Farmington hills) are ticket happy. The police love pulling you over for going 5 over then searching your vehicle for any other violations they can tack on. If you do get a ticket, set up a court date. All the city wants is your money so you can likely get any misdemeanor moving violation lowered to a 0 point blockading charge. For residents this is an inconvenience but it basically means the city is well funded. The police and fire departments are impressively staffed and have the latest gadgets for doing their jobs efficiently and effectively. When I was a kid, my friends and I would go out at night for some wholesome shenanigans, 80% of the time the police would end our evening so you can rest assured that they are out doing their jobs. The biggest crime problem seems to be with drugs, mainly weed. But that appears to be an issue in every community around America.

The city is located south-centrally in Oakland county and serviced by I-275, I-696, M5 and M10. You can get to downtown Detroit in as little as 15 minutes, and really everywhere in the metro area in under an hour. You can be on your way to anywhere in the country within a few minutes of pulling out of your drive.

Typical Michigan when it comes to stuff to do. There are a few good libraries, community centers and parks located all around town. Detroiters love strip malls so they're on every major intersection. Of course we have the corporate chains but there is also a great mix of unique successful business' which are owned by friendly entrepreneurs. Any type food you can think of should be easy enough to find. You can walk around downtown Farmington any time of the day or night although there is virtually no night life besides the few bars full of regulars. If nightlife is your scene, your best bet is to head to Royal Oak or Ann Arbor.

Farmington Hills is diverse, there is a notable mix of Blacks and Whites, and all the prominent religions and cultures. Racism, sexism and ageism exist everywhere today in subtle undertones, Farmington Hills is no different, you may get a few glances if you don't quite fit the mold but no one will ever outright persecute you and the majority of the citizens will welcome you no matter how different you are.

Living costs are manageable. Especially on the annual household salary listed previously. Property values appreciate and taxes are not astronomical. The majority of the neighborhoods are well kept and occupied by sensible homeowners. There is that "low rent" district referred to earlier on the south-east side of the city. I had a lot of friends in high school that lived over there, the people in those neighborhoods were hard working blue-collar individuals. The "low rent" homes were actually well kept (with the exception of a few outliers) small, older houses. If your looking for an apartment or condo there are a few community style developments in the area as well as a few dozen complexes offering small one bedrooms up to four bedroom townhouses. Apartments start at the $700-900 range.

Farmington Hills is a good reflection of Detroit culture. The city is what you make of it. Its not quite the picturesque portrait of suburbia but its as close as you can really find. All in all not a bad place to live and raise a family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit