Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2009, 12:07 AM

283 posts, read 495,924 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hhJ_49leBw

Looks more like a third world country. So Very Sad. One can only cry.

Last edited by REIRehabber; 12-27-2009 at 12:23 AM..

Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times
Is there a point here?

I gave up after minute 9. I guess I have to correct all the wrong information he spewed about the UAW.

Employees do not make $74 an hour. That number is arrived by taking all the active employees wages and benifits and the retirees salary and benefits and dividing them by the number of active employees (note there are more retirees than active employees) My dad cracked 50k once or twice. Never 130k

The UAW got rid of the jobs bank and many other fringe benefits.

The UAW made concessions by setting up a VEBA fund and taking billions of dollars of retiree health care cost off of the companies.

The UAW health care does not cover lasik eye surgery. My dad has worn glasses all his life and the vision coverage is mediocre at best.

The 7 weeks vacation is false. It's 4 weeks vacation (2 weeks of which must be taken in July so the factories can retool for the new model year) The rest is paid vacations (damn those unions for wanting Christmas off)

In his ramblings he failed to mention GM went from 50% market share in the US to 25%. How did the UAW cut market share in half again?

I love how he stands outside the Packard Plant and says plants like this one, leading the viewer to believe it was a big 3 plant. That company has been defunct for nearly 40 years.

He also didn't mention that the big 3 built factories outside of Detroit. In fact, the Big 3 didn't build a single factory in the city of Detroit in the 60's. That lead to the growth of Detroit's suburbs which still remain as some of the most affluent.

He also didn't mention the riots of 67 and the racial segregation in the area.

Chicago has had democratic mayors and have had liberal policies and that hasn't effected their prosperity. In fact, Chicago hasn't had a republican mayor the past century. New York City has mostly been democrat up until Guiliani and Bloomberg doesn't know what he is.

Seems more like sensationalism with an agenda to me.

Old 12-27-2009, 12:58 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,001,970 times
OK so I finished watching and he lost all credibility when he said there are bears in Detroit.

Also, how come he didn't do this report from Grosse Pointe, Bloomfield, Birmingham etc?

Old 12-27-2009, 08:11 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,849,212 times
REIRehabber, please step away from the YouTube propoganda videos. Topic closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: