Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 04:02 PM

171 posts, read 303,272 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Not really, that wasn't even a year ago. WORST case scenario there may be few extra vacant homes on those blocks. Detroit's population decline has slowed since the recession so it's highly doubtful that all of those blocks rotted out in less than 12 months time. If it did, then Detroit would have to statistically be on track to having a steeper decline in population then last decade which is very highly unlikely seeing that last decade was an abnormal decade of decline for Detroit. I've been through a couple of those areas as recently as the past month. I often google street view places that I've been to just to see how much it has changed, as of right now, it's pretty accurate and a great tool to use. But that's all it should be used for, is to find potential areas. I recommend you always check out places in person before making any decisions.

Thanks. I'm going to note those addresses down. I'll be in Detroit sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. I'll drive buy and check them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Not really, that wasn't even a year ago. WORST case scenario there may be few extra vacant homes on those blocks. Detroit's population decline has slowed since the recession so it's highly doubtful that all of those blocks rotted out in less than 12 months time. If it did, then Detroit would have to statistically be on track to having a steeper decline in population then last decade which is very highly unlikely seeing that last decade was an abnormal decade of decline for Detroit. I've been through a couple of those areas as recently as the past month. I often google street view places that I've been to just to see how much it has changed, as of right now, it's pretty accurate and a great tool to use. But that's all it should be used for, is to find potential areas. I recommend you always check out places in person before making any decisions.
All very true. Some neighborhoods have actually improved some since the most recent google street pics were taken. Some have gotten worse but like you said not a lot of change in the past year.

I've also started to see some of the google street pics of Detroit that have been updated in 2014. So parts of Detroit it's possible to find fairly recent pics.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:18 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by downandoutinthed View Post
Mine is not a suggestion but more a plea for anyone's help. How can I get this abandoned house next door to my mother's torn down? I live in Detroit, we've been looking at the eye sore for fourteen years now.please someone help!!!!
First step - find the owner, if any. After 14 years you must have some clue about that. Anybody ever visit the property, or do you already know the property is ownerless?

Old 07-15-2014, 05:49 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,887,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdemH View Post
Thanks. I'm going to note those addresses down. I'll be in Detroit sometime in the next 2 weeks or so. I'll drive buy and check them out.
//www.city-data.com/zips/48221.html
this zip code has an estimated population of 42K, 7.6k ppsm, about a quarter of the population are renters, median household income of $42k, average rent is $817. City-data actually has alot of useful info. Zillow is a pretty good site to spot out properties for sale on the map. With these two sources plus Google street view you should probably have some pretty strong candidates by the time you get here.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:39 PM

123 posts, read 199,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beans213 View Post
Try contacting a group named blight busters. I think the guy who runsit name is george.

Also i dont know what area your mom is in, and there may be other options depending on the neighbor hood.
John George - Motor City Blight Busters. But it looks like they concentrate on Brlghtmoor and Old Redford.

See this Free Press story about Duggan's first 6 months in office. The mayor says they will be tearing down 800 properties a month this fall from 150 now. Seems like a stretch, but I hope he pulls it off,

How Duggan has tackled Detroit's 3 biggest problems in his first 6 months | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Old 07-15-2014, 09:45 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
I just came across this, but for the past year or so, organizations have mapped out Detroit's blight. There's different criteria for describing the condition of the property and if you come across blight, be it a vacant house or trashy vacant lot, you can download an app to your smart phone that allows you to photo the property, describe the condition it's in, and have it updated on the map.

https://www.motorcitymapping.org/#t=...=detroit&f=all

https://www.motorcitymapping.org/contribute

Old 07-16-2014, 01:48 AM

429 posts, read 971,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmantx512 View Post
John George - Motor City Blight Busters. But it looks like they concentrate on Brlghtmoor and Old Redford.

See this Free Press story about Duggan's first 6 months in office. The mayor says they will be tearing down 800 properties a month this fall from 150 now. Seems like a stretch, but I hope he pulls it off,

How Duggan has tackled Detroit's 3 biggest problems in his first 6 months | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
Thank you. I was half way there lol. I'm not sure if the person who was asking for help said what area her mom lives in (I may have missed it)
A few other areas have groups that sometimes help with abandoned houses. Your correct about blight busters concentrating on brightmoor.

I know the neighborhood that's a little east and a tiny bit north of where I live gets together a couple times every year a tackles a project of some sort. Wether it be reclaiming the playground from overgrown weeds and fixing what's broken. To cleaning up all the yards of the abandoned houses and cutting back all the trees or hailing away all the rubbish and junk that had been dumped on an empty lot. I don't think they have torn down any homes yet but they deff do their best to keep them sealed up and maintained from the outside. Then the following weekend they have a BBQ or party and it seems like almost everyone that lives there attends. It's a nice family oriented gathering. With kids and adults.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:39 PM

37 posts, read 49,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I like the controlled burn idea, similar to what forestry services do. Select houses that are not adjacent to occupied dwellings. Invite outside fire departments to come into the city to train their personnel. Win-win for everyone.
Can't do it. Firefighter training with controlled burns requires compliance with EPA regulations, NFPA 1403 and other safety standards, which require anything dangerous (asbestos, vermiculite, etc) be removed from the home prior to training. Most of the homes are already damaged and would have to be rehabbed to be safe enough to use for training.

Any demolition requires following union contracts, city bidding processes and contracts, environmental regulations, etc. That's why it costs $10K to demolish a 1000 square foot house. Fifteen years ago when I used to be in a Marine Corps Reserve engineer unit, between us and the SeaBee Battalion at Selfridge ANGB we could have knocked down a couple blocks over a drill weekend. City refused to even discuss it, and we couldn't get permission from higher HQ and JAG anyway.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:29 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDuke View Post
Can't do it. Firefighter training with controlled burns requires compliance with EPA regulations, NFPA 1403 and other safety standards, which require anything dangerous (asbestos, vermiculite, etc) be removed from the home prior to training. Most of the homes are already damaged and would have to be rehabbed to be safe enough to use for training.

Any demolition requires following union contracts, city bidding processes and contracts, environmental regulations, etc. That's why it costs $10K to demolish a 1000 square foot house. Fifteen years ago when I used to be in a Marine Corps Reserve engineer unit, between us and the SeaBee Battalion at Selfridge ANGB we could have knocked down a couple blocks over a drill weekend. City refused to even discuss it, and we couldn't get permission from higher HQ and JAG anyway.
That figures. Too bad all those firefighters who died going into burning abandoned buildings couldn't have refused to do so because the building was not EPA-compliant.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:31 PM

21,136 posts, read 19,714,475 times
http://www.detroitmi.gov/Portals/0/d...0Buildings.pdf

http://www.detroitmi.gov/Departments...nDivision.aspx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
View detailed profiles of: