Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times

Advertisements

Wow, I didn't know that Highland Park was that bad. Why do you guys and girls think that is the case? How is Hamtramck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 02:05 PM

186 posts, read 588,043 times
Due to the size of Highland Park Compared to Detroit I'd have to say Detroit is worse as far as blight and crime although we know this because it's supposedly America's murder capital.

Old 04-23-2009, 06:53 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,072,540 times
So, how many years ago did that happen? When? What were their names? Street intersections? Places?

As for police departments lying - How? What cases have been documented? Why do you think suburban Michigan police departments are lying? Have any lawsuits been filed?

You said it was common to acknowledge rapes in Ypsilanti. What news articles? CNN? Do you have any sources that document this?

I must add that Detroit needs to be twisted in its arm until it does something to save itself. So does HP. The bashing should be made in a way to attack, stain, and malign the politicians who do nothing. The attacks should embarrass, discredit, and sadden the politicians who ignore their own city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyo313 View Post
On the other hand, I HAVE been attacked, beaten up, spat on, and had things stolen from me in the suburbs. Your white media does not report that sort of thing, though.

A crime committed in the downtown area is likely to be sensational, and thus be on the news. Aside from the occassional attack on a tourist or such, for the most part, downtown is quite safe. It's impossible to say which suburbs it might be safer than and which it is not, because municipal police departments (including your darling Rudy Giuliani) LIE when reporting to demonstrate improvement and encourage investment. That's not to say you cannot track some trends, but police departments to play numbers game.

A good example is Ypsilanti and the Eastern Michigan campus. While attending graduate school there back in the early 90's, it was common knowledge that women were routinely raped there, but this did not come to light until that poor young woman was raped and murdered (no point in saying "Brutally raped and murdered, because I don't know any other kind of rape and murder situations) there last year. I am willing to bet Ann Arbor does some of the same.

And what IS crime? Some reports use rape, murder and armed robbery only, but some communities have really high domestic violence rates without much in the way of rape or murder. Does this mean that they don't have crime? Hardly. The brutalized woman is no better off just because the attacker is her legal husband. Same for rape.

If you spend your energy looking for a violent Detroit or Highland Park, that is what you will get. If you work toward improving both the community and the image, both will happen.

Ending Detroit's (and HP's) negatives (both image and real challenges) begins with each of us as individuals.

Tony O - Founder SEMVest/Detropolis

Old 08-17-2009, 12:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,565 times
my sister was MURDERED Brutally in Highland Park July 19th, 2009. What was she doing? she was trying to find drugs to satisfy her addiction, does that make it ok? Is it ok that A Mother, A Daughter, a Sisters life was senselessly taken, someone who wouldnt harm a flee! Someone barely 5ft tall and never a more gentle sole????? Go ahead more to Highland Park, Mi were the savages live

Old 08-20-2009, 10:48 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmetro View Post
Although I've lived in Metro Detroit my entire life, I've never lived anywhere other than Oakland County, and although I've been to Detroit many times for outreach projects with Blight Busters and sporting events, I've never known a lot about "the hood". So, just out of curiosity, as a question for people with experience, which city is worse in terms of crime, poverty and overall quality of life? I know that they're both depressed, but I've only seen Highland Park from I-75, so I have no way of comparing them. Your comments are appreciated, just please don't make any racial remarks.
I find you get uniformly sad scenes unreeling in front of your eyes in Highland Park, and very mixed results in Detroit, with some beautiful neighborhoods, some sort of down at the heel, and some pretty cratered wreckage.

Tell me, what is Blight Busters? That sounds like EXACTLY what the whole metro area could use!

Quote:
Due to the size of Highland Park Compared to Detroit I'd have to say Detroit is worse as far as blight and crime although we know this because it's supposedly America's murder capital.
Shrewsbury Road, I want to repeat that Detroit won the Murder Capital Of the World crown in 1977, and has never won it again since. Washington, DC has worn the crown at least 2 different years since then, but NOBODY is terrified of DC they way they are of Detroit. Nobody here yet -- or anywhere else -- has given me even a half-hearted explanation of why that should be.

Old 08-22-2009, 11:30 AM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Quote:
Which is Worse: Highland Park or Detroit?
That's a question for the ages...like which is worse, shot or stabbed?

Old 08-22-2009, 10:25 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
How is Hamtramck?
It's infested with rat-a-lopes! It's even the trademark of one of the local taverns... If you wear the proper ankle guards, though, you should be OK.

I am sad to see the current condition of Highland Park, but I know decent people who live there and 3 of my friends work there daily without fear. It's not THAT bad, just run-down. They arrested Benjamin Atkins ages ago, so that threat is gone.

And I hate to tell youse, but there is plenty of crime in the white suburbs and other prettified places, too.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:56 PM

970 posts, read 2,968,416 times
Highland Park is worse, mainly because of how it got that way. Detroit's loss of middle and upper class people was gradual, but it took off after the 1967 12th Street Riots. After the closing of the Ford plant, the loss of the middle and upper class got out of control, and after the riots, the city basically collapsed in on itself. When everyone left, blight took over, and nobody wanted to move in. Basically, the only people that live there now are the people that cannot afford to move elsewhere.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,396 times
Highland Park for sure. It's poorer, crime is higher, and it's completely the same. Detroit, on the other hand, is diverse. There are bad Detroit neighborhoods like State Fair and Van Steuban; but on the opposite side of the spectrum, there's places like Grixdale and Indian Village which are very pleasant and suburban.

Old 04-20-2010, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 2,907 times
Hi, I am a recent resident that grew up in highland park michigan. I have seen all that city had to offer and how bad it has become. Highland Park is the worst city you can possibly image to stay in. It's full of young men who have thrown there lives away living the street life and being murdered or sent to prison for the rest of the lives. All though it has its faults the problem falls on government officials, law enforecement, and school systems that has failed to protect what once was a historic city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit