Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 12:28 PM

4 posts, read 15,162 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in the downtown area. I need a safe, commutable town for a family. How long is a commute from ann arbor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 01:22 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,457,438 times
Some faculty I know at Wayne State live in A2 b/c they favor the progressive college-town setting above any inconvenience. That said, there will be inconveniences such as the commute (45+ minutes) and higher prices. It all depends on what you value. There are closer options in the area closer to the city that are good for families, such as Livonia and Plymouth, but they won't be as progressive.

Commute wise, the opposite end of the spectrum is Gross Pointe. You have the most convenient commmute from the 'burbs, fabulous housing stock with character, nice communities, and good schools, but you are somewhat isolated from the rest of Metro Detroit and a high number of day-to-day conveniences such as shopping. The wildcard is the proximity to water.

A third good option is the Woodward corridor north of the city. You have the closer 'burbs south of I-696 such as Ferndale, Huntingdon Woods, and Pleasant Ridge that have a lot of character. North of 696, you have Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham, Troy - all the way up to Pontiac and Rochester. Many of the houses are newer (post-war), and there's a bit more diversity once you hit Troy. Many of the towns have walkable "main street" type commercial areas if that's your thing. In my experience, this area has the most diverse things to do with a family and the requisite conveniences to raise one in a pleasant setting.

Old 05-24-2007, 01:32 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,207,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Some faculty I know at Wayne State live in A2 b/c they favor the progressive college-town setting above any inconvenience. That said, there will be inconveniences such as the commute (45+ minutes) and higher prices. It all depends on what you value. There are closer options in the area closer to the city that are good for families, such as Livonia and Plymouth, but they won't be as progressive.

Commute wise, the opposite end of the spectrum is Gross Pointe. You have the most convenient commmute from the 'burbs, fabulous housing stock with character, nice communities, and good schools, but you are somewhat isolated from the rest of Metro Detroit and a high number of day-to-day conveniences such as shopping. The wildcard is the proximity to water.

A third good option is the Woodward corridor north of the city. You have the closer 'burbs south of I-696 such as Ferndale, Huntingdon Woods, and Pleasant Ridge that have a lot of character. North of 696, you have Royal Oak, Berkley, Birmingham, Troy - all the way up to Pontiac and Rochester. Many of the houses are newer (post-war), and there's a bit more diversity once you hit Troy. Many of the towns have walkable "main street" type commercial areas if that's your thing. In my experience, this area has the most diverse things to do with a family and the requisite conveniences to raise one in a pleasant setting.
This poster is pretty right on. I just moved here from So Cal last year and live in Royal Oak. If you are looking at AA because it's a more progressive town but aren't sure because it's farther out and/or it's too expensive, you should check out Royal Oak or Ferndale. Both skew young adults/young families and are fairly liberal, especially Ferndale. Your commute wouldnt be bad. Both are safe areas and have a great "community" type vibe.
Also, if you could afford it, Grosse Pointe would be much closer as far as commuting, and is a beautiful, upscale city.
Best of luck!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:16 PM

999 posts, read 4,532,227 times
Ann Arbor would be a little too far for me. Try Plymouth, Northville, Canton, Novi, right down 96 or 696 to Detroit.

Old 06-04-2007, 06:16 AM

4 posts, read 15,162 times
Thanks very much for the help. The relocation people are telling me to go to Grosse Pointe, but I keep seeing all of these houses in foreclosure on the news there. People are saying its in decline. The houses there dont seem to be out of line for cost. I am not looking to buy a $400k+ home, and there are many there in the $250k range. I can't figure out how much of it is bashing by people who just plain old dont like it and how much is real.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:43 AM

Default Grosse Pointe is great!~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeirce View Post
Thanks very much for the help. The relocation people are telling me to go to Grosse Pointe, but I keep seeing all of these houses in foreclosure on the news there. People are saying its in decline. The houses there dont seem to be out of line for cost. I am not looking to buy a $400k+ home, and there are many there in the $250k range. I can't figure out how much of it is bashing by people who just plain old dont like it and how much is real.
Being new(ish) to the state, I can only tell you what I see other posters say, and I have only heard GLOWING reviews of Grosse Pointe from the people that live there. So glowing, that when we actually buy it will be one of top considerations even though it's far from where we currently live and work (Oakland county).

If you aren't familiar with Michigan's economy, then you should know that there are forclosures EVERYWHERE, not just in Grosse Pointe.

As far as being in decline, because of how hard hit Michigan is in general right now, I would say that would apply to just about every city and town in the state, to greater and lesser degrees. I would venture to guess that GP would be on the lesser scale. Your post is the first time I have heard anyone say such a thing about GP, and I am on city-data just about everyday!

To those that live there and would say it's in decline, I would venture to say it might be noticable to them, having lived there during Michigan's hey-day, but to a newcomer like you or me, it would probably still come across as one of the nicer and more affluent suburbs in America!

My wife and I just drove through GP in March, and in fact stopped and toured the Edsel and Eleanor Ford House (residents of GP have a free pass to tour the grounds, BTW. GP has tons of perks like this for it's residents). We found GP to be quite beautiful and full of charm and character. If you have children then this area should definately be one of your top choices, as the schools are great and the community is VERY family friendly.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2007, 11:57 AM

106 posts, read 324,304 times
Try the downriver area, Southgate, Riverview, Trenton, Wyandotte, Allen Park. They are about 15-20 minutes from downtown Detroit. Most of these cities are within a couple of miles of the 75 freeway. All of the cities above have great schools and shopping. There are 2 hospitals, one in Wyandotte and one in Trenton. Just an idea. Everyone wants to go north of Detroit instead of south. I don't know why. All areas are nice.
Good luck,
Kim and Jim

Old 06-04-2007, 02:14 PM

999 posts, read 4,532,227 times
I would choose not to live in Wayne County if Oakland County isn't too far of a drive for you. The Pointes are nice, but they're still Wayne County.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:37 PM

kpierce---Here is a copy and paste of another thread about GP...Jeff

"I can't tell you how lovely it was to move from Troy to Grosse Pointe Farms.

The pros are

1. 5 Private parks for Grosse Pointe residents only....you don't need to belong to a club anymore!

2. Garbage is picked up from our backyard

3. Excellent schools

4. Each city has it's own police/fire department...which means the police are at your door in a minute or less when disbatched

5. Extremely low crime rates

6. activites for family galore

7. you can bike everywhere...schools, shopping, restaurants

8. scenic lakeshore drive...oh did I mention all of the parks are lakefront

9.yes taxes are a bit higher but thats why we maintain such a beautiful city.

10. most streets have yearly block parties

11. I can call my local grocery store and have all of my groceries delivered for $5.00

12. Also my local Farms Market keeps my account on file so I never have to bring my purse in. It really helps when you have your children in tow or you just need to jump in the car because you forgot an ingredient and your back home in less than 5 minutes. They know everyone by name as well

Cons

We do not have major shopping chains nearby....and that's about all I can think of If I need to go shopping I can be at Somerset Mall in 35 minutes or Lakeside Mall in 25 minutes. Hall road is 20 minutes away and they have all of the big chain stores people crave, i.e. Target, Walmart, Lowes (I shop at our local lowes...very safe and clean)

Amazing...Amazing...Amazing!!!

I suggest you take a tour one day with a Realtor. They can show you all around and you can make an educated decision.

Good Luck!"

Just thought you could use this as more info if you are interested in GP. Again, no personal agenda to direct you there, as I live in Oakland county. Just trying to be helpful.

Old 06-12-2007, 01:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Kim View Post
Try the downriver area, Southgate, Riverview, Trenton, Wyandotte, Allen Park. They are about 15-20 minutes from downtown Detroit. Most of these cities are within a couple of miles of the 75 freeway. All of the cities above have great schools and shopping. There are 2 hospitals, one in Wyandotte and one in Trenton. Just an idea. Everyone wants to go north of Detroit instead of south. I don't know why. All areas are nice.
Good luck,
Kim and Jim
I have to agree. I've lived Downriver(Brownstown/Lincoln Park/Trenton/Rockwood) for 30 years. I've worked for many years in Oakland County. The downriver area is a nice place to live and offers a 20 min commute to Downtown Detroit. There is nothing wrong with most of Wayne County. I think it offers a great deal to a family with children.

Monroe County is another option, but you would have a bit longer of a commute, but in return you get what can be a very rural setting/small cities.

Excluding Detroit and a few norther Wayne County cities, I would feel safe anywhere, especially in Downriver area.

I'm not at all knocking Macomb/Oakland county. They are very nice also for the most part.

If you like "city" life you may be better served by southern Macomb/Oakland County. If you like a more "rural/suburbia" setting check out northern Macomb/Oakland, Monroe County, and south or south west wayne county. The downriver area is very much "suburbia"

Hope that hepls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit