Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:24 PM

866 posts, read 4,258,309 times

Advertisements

Harper Woods, St. Clair Shores, and possibly Grosse Pointe Woods are in your price range. I would either seroiusly look into the Grosse Pointe school district of Harper Woods or affordable areas of Grosse Pointe Woods. St. Clair Shores is nice, but the school district doesn't compare to the quality of education that you will find in the Grosse Pointe schools. You could also look into some areas of Grosse Pointe Park which are in the even better school district of Grosse Pointe South if you don't mind the commute to Harper Woods everyday. By the way...Grosse Pointe Woods and the small section of Harper Woods that is part of GP schools in part of Grosse Pointe North schools not the better Grosse Pointe South schools. Just something to consider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Harper Woods schools aren't that bad. It's not like Detroit public. Harper Woods schools are pretty safe. People are talking like it's the end of the world to go to Harper Woods public. They aren't as good as Grosse Pointe but they aren't bad.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:33 AM

12 posts, read 29,515 times
Hi! I will also be starting as an intern at St. John this coming July. I've been looking at this duplex unit in Moross Rd, about 3mins walk to the hospital?. Is that a safe area to live in? They say it's awfully noisy there. Is that true?I'll be staying there with my husband and our dog, we're planning to have a baby soon so safety is really a big factor for us. Thanks!

Old 03-26-2010, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wobertow View Post
Hi! I will also be starting as an intern at St. John this coming July. I've been looking at this duplex unit in Moross Rd, about 3mins walk to the hospital?. Is that a safe area to live in? They say it's awfully noisy there. Is that true?I'll be staying there with my husband and our dog, we're planning to have a baby soon so safety is really a big factor for us. Thanks!

Where on Moross? It is a main road. Also if you live by St Johns you'll have all the sirens. Nobody will recommend it because it's the city of Detroit. The schools are bad so you'd have to look into private school if you stayed there awhile.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:28 AM

I see. Thank you for your input. Which places would you recommend? Is Warren safe? Roseville? Thanks again!

Old 03-26-2010, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I see. Thank you for your input. Which places would you recommend? Is Warren safe? Roseville? Thanks again!

What you'll find on this forum is a Detroit phobia. People are terrified of anything near Detroit and they are also afraid of their own shadow. Grosse Pointe is the obvious choice for around St Johns. if you can't afford that, than east side of Harper Woods, St Clair Shores, Eastpointe are good choices. Warren and Roseville aren't bad, but why go there when you can get similar neighborhoods in Harper Woods and Eastpointe that are closer?

Old 03-26-2010, 11:20 PM

Hi Scolls! Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into your suggestions. May I message you again if I come up with new apartment choices? Thanks again!

Old 03-27-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Hi Scolls! Thank you so much! I'll definitely look into your suggestions. May I message you again if I come up with new apartment choices? Thanks again!

Sure. I live in Harper Woods within walking distance to St Johns. My fiance also works there.

Old 03-27-2010, 08:40 AM

that's amazing! i've been looking at 3 units there in harperwoods- kenosha, roscommon and pointe garden apartments. What do you think of these? Is your fiancee a resident at st. john's also? what specialty? thanks scolls!

Old 03-27-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
that's amazing! i've been looking at 3 units there in harperwoods- kenosha, roscommon and pointe garden apartments. What do you think of these? Is your fiancee a resident at st. john's also? what specialty? thanks scolls!
She's just a nurse. Renting apartments in Harper Woods is hit or miss. Harper Woods is pretty mixed between black and white. If being a city that's 50/50 is going to bother you, then you'll want to look elsewhere. Some people just can't seem to handle that. Haven't heard too much about Pointe Gardens. Eastland Village used to be nice but I have heard some bad things about that place. Stay away from the Eastland Mall area all together. On Roscommon and Kenosha, are you talking about houses? I don't recall apartment complexes on those streets. Roscommon isn't a bad street. The police station is right down the street on Harper. Police patrol that area often. You can find good deals on houses to rent. Look east of 94. Some streets to look at is Lochmor, Country Club, Beaufait, Hunt Club, Anita just off the top of my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit