Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 07:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I've been reading this forum long enough to know that the advice given around here is pretty stereotypical. No one is going to recommend Harper Woods. You'll be hard pressed to find a place to rent for $800-900 in Grosse Pointe. I wouldn't recommend the apartments on Beaconsfield. You can actually rent a house in Harper Woods for $800-900. I knew someone who lived in the apartments by 9 Mile and Jefferson. IIRC they were pricey but definitely nice.
thank you for the tip, but can you tell us why would you not recommend a flat in Beaconsfield?

Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Yac; 09-06-2010 at 02:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 04:15 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,003,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gencolour View Post
thank you for the tip, but can you tell us why would you not recommend a flat in Beaconsfield?

I'm assuming the flat you are talking about on Beaconsfield is Eastland Village. That area by the mall experiences a lot of issues with cars getting broken into. That apartment complex also has been none as getting a bad element in there and possible drug dealing.

Old 09-05-2010, 10:15 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Eastland Village is a good looking complex, but rents are too high for where it is and the HW Schools, should you need them. There's a complex on Vernier immediately east of the Interstate that is okay, a co-worker of mine moved out recently and his place was pretty nice. Don't know what he paid in rent.

Old 09-05-2010, 03:51 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
HW Schools
Isn't Harper Woods serviced by Grosse Pointe Schools?

Old 09-05-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Isn't Harper Woods serviced by Grosse Pointe Schools?

Just a section of south east Harper Woods. Harper Woods does have their own district. Not all areas east of 94 are in the Grosse Pointe district. I'm fairly certain up by Vernior between 94 and Mack is Harper Woods. Harper Woods schools aren't that bad. People place too much on test scores and expecting schools to raise their kids. Harper Woods, especially west of 94, have a transient population coming and going. Lots of families moving into Harper Woods from Detroit who were in bad schools before getting to Harper Woods schools.

Old 09-06-2010, 12:12 PM

970 posts, read 2,969,028 times
Quote:
Just a section of south east Harper Woods. Harper Woods does have their own district. Not all areas east of 94 are in the Grosse Pointe district. I'm fairly certain up by Vernior between 94 and Mack is Harper Woods. Harper Woods schools aren't that bad. People place too much on test scores and expecting schools to raise their kids. Harper Woods, especially west of 94, have a transient population coming and going. Lots of families moving into Harper Woods from Detroit who were in bad schools before getting to Harper Woods schools.
Well, you know what they say. You learn something new every day...

Old 04-26-2012, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,341 times
Default Still have that positive experience?

Quote:
My experience has been nothing but positive. I They aren't coming here to deal drugs and work the corners.
You still living in the same Harper Woods neighborhood dude? How about that incident a few weeks ago on the corner of Warren and Frankfort where that gentleman's son was shot while in their SUV? And how about last night's shooting in an alley in Harper Woods? And did you hear about the gal returning home from work a few years ago at approx. 11:30 p.m. who was shot at at the corner of Cadieux and Outer Drive by one of two gentlemen who approached her car? That was a good friend of mine's daughter. When she made it up to the 7/11 on Moross and Harper, she called the cops and they told her to come in Monday morning and make a report.........

You can talk up the east side of Detroit all you want but the reality is, the blacks who can afford it are even moving out to the suburbs to get away from the rampant crime..........

As a side note, the house my parents used to own lies right between Warren and Outer Drive down on Three Mile Drive. A once beautiful neighborhood of brick, tudor homes, is now a ghetto with vacant lots up and down the street. The brick garage that used to be in the backyard was falling over the last time I drove by.......I doubt it's still standing now.

Old 05-01-2012, 07:30 PM

42 posts, read 162,033 times
i live in detroit, 48236, the houses here are pretty cheap ,but its very safe, i live one block from Harper woods and close to St Johns Hospital., ive lived here since october and ive never felt threatened and im a white early 20's male, its about 40% white and 50% Black on my block (McCormick).

Old 05-06-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnie da blade View Post
You still living in the same Harper Woods neighborhood dude? How about that incident a few weeks ago on the corner of Warren and Frankfort where that gentleman's son was shot while in their SUV? And how about last night's shooting in an alley in Harper Woods? And did you hear about the gal returning home from work a few years ago at approx. 11:30 p.m. who was shot at at the corner of Cadieux and Outer Drive by one of two gentlemen who approached her car? That was a good friend of mine's daughter. When she made it up to the 7/11 on Moross and Harper, she called the cops and they told her to come in Monday morning and make a report.........

You can talk up the east side of Detroit all you want but the reality is, the blacks who can afford it are even moving out to the suburbs to get away from the rampant crime..........

As a side note, the house my parents used to own lies right between Warren and Outer Drive down on Three Mile Drive. A once beautiful neighborhood of brick, tudor homes, is now a ghetto with vacant lots up and down the street. The brick garage that used to be in the backyard was falling over the last time I drove by.......I doubt it's still standing now.
Not sure why you are ranting to me about the east side of Detroit when I lived in Harper Woods. Second, Cadieux and Outer Drive don't intersect, third if she called the police at Moross and Harper, that's Detroit. Not sure how all this really applies since what was being discussed was about Harper Woods and not Detroit. I moved to Huntington Woods because both me and my wife's work moved us to northern Oakland county. Did you hear about the old woman who got murdered in her home in the forum's darling Royal Oak?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit