Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 04:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,669 times

Advertisements

[LEFT]Hi everyone,

I just got a surgical job at Henry Ford Hospital (near Wayne State University) and I will be beginning in June.

I am a single 27 year old gay male that has lived in Santa Monica, CA (a very trendy part of LA with a lot of cultural diversity) and I'd like to live in a similar area. I am probably looking to rent a studio or a 1 bedroom but I'll consider buying a small loft or condo if I like the area. Price should not be an issue.

The area should be near enough that I can drive to the hospital within 15 minutes preferably, 30 minutes max, because I will be taking call from home.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and suggestions!!!
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2010, 05:01 PM

902 posts, read 1,925,986 times
Ferndale is a very gay friendly city located 1 mile from the Detroit border on the main roads of 9 Mile & Woodward , Detroit starts at 8 Mile & Woodward , and much of the Wayne State campus is right off Woodward near downtown Detroit . Ferndale also has a gay organization located in downtown Ferndale (small city ) Maybe they could help you out , good luck and welcome .

Welcome: Welcome (http://www.goaffirmations.org/site/PageServer - broken link)

Old 01-25-2010, 07:12 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,455 times
I'll suggest Ferndale or Royal Oak.Ann Arbor would be the best city for you (California vibe there), but the commute to the Midtown area woudl be a long commute.

Old 01-26-2010, 11:10 AM

93,266 posts, read 123,898,066 times
What about the Palmer Park area of Detroit?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:27 AM

3 posts, read 6,876 times
I live in Research Lofts which is wakling distance to HFH (5min walking, 1 min drive) and is in an very secure and fastly growing area. I am actually looking to rent my 2-bedroom bi-level loft (or even sell, if possible). Don't let the media perception of Detroit fool you. The Midtown/New Center area is full of young professionals who enjoy living in the city and all the cultural amenities it has to offer. If you are looking for a diverse area, this is the place. And this loft complex is just as diverse.

I could go on and on. If you are interested in learning more, feel free to shoot me a message.

Old 01-30-2010, 09:30 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,033 times
I would also suggest Royal Oak. I think they have loft type apt downtown where you could walk to restaurants so on. Living in Ca is very different then MI but MI is a lot cheaper that is for sure. Also less traffic. Good luck in your move

Old 01-30-2010, 09:59 AM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Michigan is wonderful, no matter where you end up, I'm sure you'll be made to feel at home and hope you enjoy your days here!

On that note, I second Ferndale, Royal Oak, Berkley, even some places in downtown Detroit. Look along the east side of town, particularly, near the water. There are a lot of beautiful homes there. Detroit has a pretty decent sized homosexual community, and from what I hear from friends of said persuasion, they are accepted openly by nearly everyone.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:43 PM

333 posts, read 1,154,268 times
I must emphasize on Hazel Park. I lived in Hazel Park for nine years, and was moved to northern Royal Oak by my parents' doing. I must tell you though, Hazel Park is a much nicer community than people believe. The city has a very even balance of young and old citizens, and has such a small-town charm; yet it is very urban, holding the third highest population density in Michigan (at 6,700 per square mile, approximately).

Not only that, but Hazel Park being a brother city to both Ferndale and Warren, is ethnically diverse and very gay-friendly. People in Hazel Park enjoy many parks and recreational centers, very easy-going traffic, and a large range of homes, from tidy bungalows to very large suburban mansions. Not only that, but it is one of Detroit's smallest densely-populated suburbs; with a population of 18,000. The small population and high density make for a very tight-knit community.

Hazel Park's downfall, in your case, is that it is a detatched-home bedroom community. Alot of Hazel Park is small business (which is a very noble thing to say, but then again, it also means sometimes a lack of jobs) and light industry, and the rest is residential.

One key point about Hazel Park is that it is a gateway community, meaning it is a suburb directly outside of Detroit. This often arises stereotype, but most of it is false. As far as wealth, crime, and traffic; Hazel Park is easily compared to places such as South Royal Oak, Berkley, and Warren. However, multiple freeways are easily accessible from HP, and to drive from the center of the city at Nine Mile and John R. to the Henry Ford would only be 9 minutes (8.2 mi). Hazel Park is literally in the middle of it all, though. The city is 5 minutes from Downtown Ferndale, 7 minutes from Downtown Royal Oak, 15 minutes to Downtown Detroit, and nearby many attractions such as the Pontiac Silverdome, C.J. Barrymore's, the Michigan State Fair, and our own hometown pride, the Hazel Park Racetrack; which is currently the largest horse racing venue in Michigan and also sports many gambling events.

Hazel Park is a beautiful, close-knit community with many affordable homes for sale. Most homes are available for under $70,000; being multiple-bedroom, multiple-bathroom one-story houses. Forclosed homes can even go as low as $5,000.

However, if it is your preference to have a loft or studio apartment, I would suggest Downtown Royal Oak. Downtown specifically. While Royal Oak is a community with a large LGBT population, the citizens outside of Downtown tend to be much snobbier and tight-browed from what I've experienced.

Old 02-24-2011, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uclaorusc View Post
[LEFT]Hi everyone,

I just got a surgical job at Henry Ford Hospital (near Wayne State University) and I will be beginning in June.

I am a single 27 year old gay male that has lived in Santa Monica, CA (a very trendy part of LA with a lot of cultural diversity) and I'd like to live in a similar area. I am probably looking to rent a studio or a 1 bedroom but I'll consider buying a small loft or condo if I like the area. Price should not be an issue.

The area should be near enough that I can drive to the hospital within 15 minutes preferably, 30 minutes max, because I will be taking call from home.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your help and suggestions!!!
[/LEFT]

Where did you end up moving to? I will also be moving to the same area in June and coming from the San Franciso culture (although originally from Boston). I am looking for a young multicultural/diverse area with lots of good food, community feeling, and close to the highways, etc. I would prefer the ability to walk to coffee shops, grocery stores, and staying away from complete suburbs. Any suggestions?

Old 02-24-2011, 07:51 PM

68 posts, read 161,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calieskimo View Post
Where did you end up moving to? I will also be moving to the same area in June and coming from the San Franciso culture (although originally from Boston). I am looking for a young multicultural/diverse area with lots of good food, community feeling, and close to the highways, etc. I would prefer the ability to walk to coffee shops, grocery stores, and staying away from complete suburbs. Any suggestions?
If he doesn't respond I would recommend you make another thread asking for suggestions. There are many Detroiters that would love to help you out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit