Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:17 AM

118 posts, read 139,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The only nice areas are its suburbs, the city itself is awful. That is why Detroit has some of the worst suburban sprall around. NO one wants to be too close to it, or especially insided Detroit. There are places in southeast Mi that you can drive by 400k houses, go a few blocks crossing a Detroit city limits sign and enter a ghetto immediatly. I know I have upset some people with my response but the OP asked what is so bad about Detroit and I have given my answer.
Outsiders can hate on Detroit all they want, for us who grew up there it will always be home and it's certainly nowhere as bad as you portray it. The suburbs may have less crime but they are just as dead. House after house with nothing to do, that's why most of those suburbanites find themselves in Detroit or driving all over the metro area during the weekend. I'll take living in downtown Detroit over any of those generic communities. Ain't it funny how those guys above 8mile hold their nose when driving through Detroit but when asked where they're from they'll proudly say Detroit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2010, 04:33 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post

Yep, Detroit area is hideous and cold and dark!
Um, those pictures are not from Detroit. Near enough for a weather forcast but not indictitive of the condition of roads and bridges in Detroit where many are falling down.

Detroit has many issues such as failing infrastructure, roads in poor repair, abandoned buildings, gangs, crack houses and failing schools. I used to live in Detroit. I called the police once because I had a crazy person on my front porch threatening me (he ended up throwing a brick through my front window just as I managed to slam the door). They showed up FOUR DAYS later. How's that for quick response? A gang of kids once beat my cat to death but the only witness would not testify against them becuas I'm white and the kids in question were black. He said he couldn't testify for a white woman against black kids (strangely, he was Mulatto).

Detroit has too many issues for me to ever consider going back. I should get an "I survived Detroit" T-Shirt or something for having managed to escape alive. I'm happy to say that I have next to nothing to do with Detroit today. The DMC is the only place I go in the city. I'm enjoying surburban life just fine.

Old 02-13-2010, 04:45 AM

Detroit is a major city and not a suburb. I think you'll find in most cities it'll take the police longer than a snap of the fingers to come to your house for verbal threats. Anyways, where in Detroit did you live? I lived near where Cadieux and Warren intersect.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:13 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StefanProgovac View Post
Detroit is a major city and not a suburb. I think you'll find in most cities it'll take the police longer than a snap of the fingers to come to your house for verbal threats. Anyways, where in Detroit did you live? I lived near where Cadieux and Warren intersect.
This was more than a verbal threat. The guy was standing in my front yard, armed with a base ball bat and threw a brick through my window when I slammed the door on him. I'm lucky all he did was smash out my front window. I would think being in a situation where bodily harm or property damage is happening would warrant faster than a FOUR DAY response time. I can't believe anyone would defend this. It's insane to show up four days later. My insurance company managed to get the window replaced faster than the police response time.

How can you justify a four day response time when someone is being threatened with bodily harm?

WRT to the idiot in my front yard, he lived behind me and his house was broken into from the back yard. Since my back yard backed up against his, he decided it was us. So he came over, armed with a baseball bat to get his stuff back. When he couldn't get me outside or get in, he smashed in my front window. Fortunately, he left when I told him I'd called the police. If he'd known it would take them FOUR DAYS to respond, I'd probably be dead. Do you HONESTLY think this situation warranted a FOUR DAY response time? I could have been dead, embalmed and burried in that time. Needless to say, I sold my house, at a loss, and got the he double hockey sticks out of Detroit and I will never go back. I don't care how you dress up a pig, it's still a pig.

Even if it was a verbal threat, a threat is a threat. When someone is confrontational, you don't leave your citizens to deal with the situation alone. I will NEVER go back to Detroit. If it wasn't for the DMC being located there, I wouldn't set foot in the city. They can have cops sitting around writing traffic tickets but they can't respond to a citizen being threatened? Detroit sucks. Period. Where I live now, my husband, accidentally, set off the panic alarm on our house alarm (keys in his pocket must have hit the red button) and the police were there before I got off the phone with the alarm company. Detroit is all yours. I don't want it.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that the house in question was less than four blocks from the nearest precinct!!!!! Did I mention Detroit sucks?

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-13-2010 at 07:27 AM..

Old 02-13-2010, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How can you justify a four day response time when someone is being threatened with bodily harm?
I'm not so much justifying as saying your problem would repeat itself in many large cities. I doubt the police would have responded all that faster in NYC or LA or Chicago, etc. If this took place in the summer I could see how the police may have overlooked it. Detroit explodes in the summer, most of the crimes for the year take place during the summer months.

Quote:
WRT to the idiot in my front yard, he lived behind me and his house was broken into from the back yard. Since my back yard backed up against his, he decided it was us. So he came over, armed with a baseball bat to get his stuff back. When he couldn't get me outside or get in, he smashed in my front window. Fortunately, he left when I told him I'd called the police. If he'd known it would take them FOUR DAYS to respond, I'd probably be dead.
Something similar happened to me. I was having bad tensions with a neighbor over a couple years and a couple times my car was vandalized and broken into for its stereo. I suspected it was my neighbor the whole time but did nothing more than accuse him at this point. I simply never replaced the stereo and cracked the windows so if someone wanted to take something from the inside I didn't need a huge repair bill (I locked the wheel). In the end, I left to buy groceries one day leaving my less than year old son in the house. I come back to the door forced in, my TV removed as well as about $100 in cash which I was going to use for food over the next month. My son was thankfully not harmed but it was one of those incidents that just shakes you to your core. In a fit of impulsive rage I barged into my neighbor's house while he screamed for his wife to call the police and began trying to find the TV and money as proof. I didn't find them and left. I later fixed his door and he dropped all charges.

Quote:
Detroit is all yours. I don't want it.
I don't live in Detroit anymore I'm just tired of people slagging on it, especially people who never lived there but make sure to drive there every weekend.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:12 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,105,917 times
Quote:
Um, those pictures are not from Detroit. Near enough for a weather forcast but not indictitive of the condition of roads and bridges in Detroit where many are falling down.

Detroit has many issues such as failing infrastructure, roads in poor repair, abandoned buildings, gangs, crack houses and failing schools. I used to live in Detroit. I called the police once because I had a crazy person on my front porch threatening me (he ended up throwing a brick through my front window just as I managed to slam the door). They showed up FOUR DAYS later. How's that for quick response? A gang of kids once beat my cat to death but the only witness would not testify against them becuas I'm white and the kids in question were black. He said he couldn't testify for a white woman against black kids (strangely, he was Mulatto).

Detroit has too many issues for me to ever consider going back. I should get an "I survived Detroit" T-Shirt or something for having managed to escape alive. I'm happy to say that I have next to nothing to do with Detroit today. The DMC is the only place I go in the city. I'm enjoying surburban life just fine.
You're blind and foolish.

Also, I recently had a run in with a guy downtown at about 10:30PM, the cops took about 5 minutes to get there.

Infrastructure in Detroit isn't as bad as you'd think. The ground level streets in some neighborhoods have potholes, but the bridges are in far better condition than some of those in Chicago or other places. The highways are clear and well laid out and there's little to find at fault with them.

You've obviously never been to Ohio.

Some of Detroit's schools, and especially the suburban ones are great. We have a lot of Michigan transplants opening businesses in Lexington from Detroit. We even have a Coney Island in Lexington now (I had it the other day and was greeted by a woman from Livonia, who makes a real-deal coney)

Things may have been bad when you lived there, but even though the economy continues to tank, people are at least TRYING to improve the city. I love it to death.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
This was more than a verbal threat. The guy was standing in my front yard, armed with a base ball bat and threw a brick through my window when I slammed the door on him. I'm lucky all he did was smash out my front window. I would think being in a situation where bodily harm or property damage is happening would warrant faster than a FOUR DAY response time. I can't believe anyone would defend this. It's insane to show up four days later. My insurance company managed to get the window replaced faster than the police response time.

WRT to the idiot in my front yard, he lived behind me and his house was broken into from the back yard. Since my back yard backed up against his, he decided it was us. So he came over, armed with a baseball bat to get his stuff back. When he couldn't get me outside or get in, he smashed in my front window. Fortunately, he left when I told him I'd called the police. If he'd known it would take them FOUR DAYS to respond, I'd probably be dead. Do you HONESTLY think this situation warranted a FOUR DAY response time? I could have been dead, embalmed and burried in that time. Needless to say, I sold my house, at a loss, and got the he double hockey sticks out of Detroit and I will never go back. I don't care how you dress up a pig, it's still a pig.

Even if it was a verbal threat, a threat is a threat. When someone is confrontational, you don't leave your citizens to deal with the situation alone. I will NEVER go back to Detroit. If it wasn't for the DMC being located there, I wouldn't set foot in the city. They can have cops sitting around writing traffic tickets but they can't respond to a citizen being threatened? Detroit sucks. Period. Where I live now, my husband, accidentally, set off the panic alarm on our house alarm (keys in his pocket must have hit the red button) and the police were there before I got off the phone with the alarm company. Detroit is all yours. I don't want it.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that the house in question was less than four blocks from the nearest precinct!!!!! Did I mention Detroit sucks?
What part of town was this, and what did you do to have yourself in that situation anyways?

Old 02-14-2010, 12:41 AM
YHD

7 posts, read 17,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
What part of town was this, and what did you do to have yourself in that situation anyways?

Did you not read where she mentioned that the guy that lived behind her had his house broken into and so he assumed that it was her and that's why he came over with a baseball bat?? Just read a little bit...that's all

Old 02-14-2010, 07:05 PM

I honestly think there was more to it than that. I've never heard of anyone coming to anyone's house in the middle of the day with a ball bat because of something of that sort. Unless she was already doing something crazily shady or actually did it, I see no reason why the person would think such a thing, especially in the city where there are all sorts of neighbors.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:48 AM

13 posts, read 50,496 times
When in Detroit, it is interesting to note the collars covering the bases of the street lights in the city, the collars were put in place to prevent residents from stealing electricity. I worked for a company in Detroit for a few years and one of the things that the company had to do every few months was to verify phone numbers. Auditors would walk around and verify the phone numbers on the phone bill were actually legitimate - they always found residential and cell phone numbers that Detroiters had somehow go placed on the company bill.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit