Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2011, 11:29 AM

48 posts, read 63,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [JS] View Post
Royal Oak and Berkley are significantly different cities.

For starters, Berkley's income is more stable. Berkley, I'd say, is mostly white collar workers. Royal Oak has white collar workers and young professionals with low-ranking factory workers, families on unemployment benefits or welfare, and poorly educated people who can not find any job prospects in between. Berkley is middle class, Royal Oak has to equal out to be "middle class".

The houses are smaller in Berkley, that's true, but they're better kept. Plus, crime in Berkley is lower, and the police are alot more active.

And I know this is gonna **** people off, but lawn parking. I've never seen people parking on the lawn in Berkley. Drive through Royal Oak and it's all over the place.
Honestly, I disagree with all of this.

If anything, Royal Oak is more affluent. Vinsetta Blvd. has beautiful old homes, and the areas surrounding downtown have nice, big, older homes.

In contrast, Berkley is basically 100% tiny postwar bungalows. It looks like the less desirable parts of Royal Oak (north, towards Clawson, and east, towards Madison Heights).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 02:58 PM

333 posts, read 1,153,994 times
The Vinsetta neighborhood is one small part of Royal Oak though. No more than 2 square miles, in an eleven square mile city. That's what nobody understands. It's alot smaller of a neighborhood than the majority of people think.

I'm not sure if you're talking about Hendrie, or around Downtown in general, but there are alot of rougher patches around Downtown where the houses look pretty trashy.

If you go through the average Royal Oak neighborhood, it doesn't appear to be bad, but it's certainly not Berkley.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:17 PM

655 posts, read 2,202,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinhiryuu View Post
its also illegal to not deliver in certain areas that are low income or crime. to fight this, they just dont build pizza huts where they dont wanna deliver

Good. Pizza Hut is overpriced and overrated anyway.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:49 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,903,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slappy san View Post
Good. Pizza Hut is overpriced and overrated anyway.
Pizza Hut is actually well-represented in some areas of Detroit. There's one on Eight Mile near Hayes and one on Warren near Cadieux in East English Village. Neither offers delivery or even sit-down service, even though they're in the big old PH buildings, they're carryout only, and there's BR glass everywhere, and the pizza comes out of a slot in the wall. There might still be a Domino's or two. Mack and Van Dyke comes to mind but I don't know if that one's still there.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:04 PM

Location: Detroit's eastside, downtown Detroit in near future!
2,053 posts, read 4,391,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Pizza Hut is actually well-represented in some areas of Detroit. There's one on Eight Mile near Hayes and one on Warren near Cadieux in East English Village. Neither offers delivery or even sit-down service, even though they're in the big old PH buildings, they're carryout only, and there's BR glass everywhere, and the pizza comes out of a slot in the wall. There might still be a Domino's or two. Mack and Van Dyke comes to mind but I don't know if that one's still there.
There are actually a lot of Dominos, Jets, Little Ceasars etc throughout the city. ALL pizza huts I've been to look like that now. Its not a Detroit thing. In recent years they have changed them to a carry out only. When I was FL same thing. Plus there are a bunch of Pizza Huts as well throughout the city. Some pizza places deliver, some don't. Hey it doesn't matter to me anyway, I rarely eat chain pizza. Esp nasty pizza hut. I'll take Pizza Papalis or Buddy over them anyway.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:47 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitlove View Post
I'll take Pizza Papalis or Buddy over them anyway.
No, no, no. DiGiorno is where its at!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:11 PM

Quote:
There are actually a lot of Dominos, Jets, Little Ceasars etc throughout the city. ALL pizza huts I've been to look like that now. Its not a Detroit thing. In recent years they have changed them to a carry out only. When I was FL same thing. Plus there are a bunch of Pizza Huts as well throughout the city. Some pizza places deliver, some don't. Hey it doesn't matter to me anyway, I rarely eat chain pizza. Esp nasty pizza hut. I'll take Pizza Papalis or Buddy over them anyway.
Papalis is nice every once in a while, but it's way too expensive. Costco pizza is well-represented in my house. Both my local PHs (Macomb Mall and Seminole Hills, Mt. Clemens) still have sit-down seating. Mt. Clemens delivers too.

Old 03-19-2011, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
No, no, no. DiGiorno is where its at!
lol never had a DiGiorno but the commercials make me want to try it

Old 03-19-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
Papalis is nice every once in a while, but it's way too expensive. Costco pizza is well-represented in my house. Both my local PHs (Macomb Mall and Seminole Hills, Mt. Clemens) still have sit-down seating. Mt. Clemens delivers too.
I know not all PHs are like that but most are. When I lived in Daytona Beach the one there is carryout only with bulletproof glass and everything but the one in nearby Ormond Beach (DB is basically the ghetto and OB is like say West Bloomfield) is eat in. Both deliver. If I'm not mistaken, some PH in the city deliver as well. The one on Warren by Cadieux comes to mine. It just depends on which one you go to. Once again, I don't eat it so I'm the wrong one to ask.

PP is def expensive. But I'd rather eat that or Buddys or Taste Pizzabar over any chain. A lot of chain places are nasty. I'll just stick to trying local stuff and neighborhood pizza places over eating at a chain

Old 03-19-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
I know not all PHs are like that but most are. When I lived in Daytona Beach the one there is carryout only with bulletproof glass and everything but the one in nearby Ormond Beach (DB is basically the ghetto and OB is like say West Bloomfield) is eat in. Both deliver. If I'm not mistaken, some PH in the city deliver as well. The one on Warren by Cadieux comes to mine. It just depends on which one you go to. Once again, I don't eat it so I'm the wrong one to ask.

PP is def expensive. But I'd rather eat that or Buddys or Taste Pizzabar over any chain. A lot of chain places are nasty. I'll just stick to trying local stuff and neighborhood pizza places over eating at a chain
I drove through Midtown last night and there's a Passport (suburban chain) on Woodward now. Couldn't believe it. I haven't found a pizza chain in SE MI I don't like, with the possible exception of Buscemi's and maybe Chuck E. Cheese- well okay, sometimes Pizza Hut, but they'd taste a lot better if they cost less (I go for WingStreet). Papalis is an acquired taste but occasionally hits the spot. Where's Taste? I've never heard of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit