Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 01:16 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
People can tell me that because we're living in a suburb of Detroit, my kids will grow up to think that because they are white, they are superior.
Who said anything about superiority? Not me... just because people like to be around their own kind (whether it be black, white or Hispanic, etc.) it doesn't mean anyone thinks they are superior. I guess according to you when Asians like to be around Asians or Mexican's around Mexican's it means they all think they are superior to others? Or does that logic of yours only apply to whites that like to be around other whites?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 01:59 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,522 times
Anyone who says anything objectively negative about Detroit is assumed to be a racist, or at best, a segregationist. And any suburban police department who doesn't hire every black person who applies, even though they have two or three times the percentage of black people on the police department than is reflected in their city's population demographics, is less open to diversity than the City of Detroit, even though they actively resisted hiring suburbanites and whites.

Think about it. Freeman Hendrix vs. The Hip Hop Mayor. The voters in Detroit chose the Hip Hop Mayor and may God bless them, they got what they deserve.

As far as the suburbs all being white, that's nonsense. There are so many black people fleeing Detroit that that can't possibly be true anymore whether you're talking about Dearborn, Livonia, the Bloomfields, etc. Not to mention majority black suburbs like Southfield.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:03 PM

418 posts, read 1,784,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Who said anything about superiority? Not me... just because people like to be around their own kind (whether it be black, white or Hispanic, etc.) it doesn't mean anyone thinks they are superior. I guess according to you when Asians like to be around Asians or Mexican's around Mexican's it means they all think they are superior to others? Or does that logic of yours only apply to whites that like to be around other whites?

Um...didn't I say that I DID NOT want my kids to grow up thinking they are superior? Your logic just doesn't make sense to me. But oh well...agree to disagree. I'm not going to argue about it.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:21 PM

35 posts, read 176,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
For example: What would happen if a suburban politician advocated for more traffic enforcement on the border streets because of all the Detroit criminals coming into their suburb? There is more than one Detroit politician who blames crime on all the suburbanites coming into Detroit for prostitutes and drugs. I don't deny that this happens, but it's a drop in the bucket compared to "domestic" Detroit crime. I lived there for most of my adult life before bailing out.
They were discussing prostitution at the time. You have to admit most Johns caught in Detroit are not from here, and until very recently neither were the hookers -- the fines in Detroit were low, so they'd come from near and far.

Law enforcement doesn't work very well if you can't even discuss an entire category of crime for fear of being branded racist.

And, AFAIK, Detroit residents committing crimes outside Detroit-proper are quite rare. Criminals don't usually rob, rape, or murder outside of their home neighborhoods. They don't know the area, so they don't know where to run if they're interrupted.
Quote:
As far as the PD being 40% white, that's a result of white police officers going to court to end affirmative action. The case was finally settled, in the offiers' favor a few years ago, MUCH to the chagrin of city management.
When was the DPD 80% black, as the city has been for almost decades?

You really don't want to fight about the PD's Affirmative Action program. Before it the city was majority black, but almost all the cops were white. No blacks made it past Sergeant.
Quote:
After that, they lost residency too. Now if you're white and applying with the Detroit PD, you face the real possibility of your application being "lost". I personally know a white guy from Vegas who went through this.
Uhh...

I hate to break this to you, but city government is notorious for being bad at paperwork. You have to physically be in the office, several times a week, for months, to get the most basic city paperwork done. When did he apply? The PD has not really been hiring for years.

And the guy was from Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if the city discriminates against non-residents, for the simple reason that the people in city government loved the residency requirement. Our people need the work more than most suburbanites, and can do the job; so the city government does not like hiring non-Detroiters.

That goes even for purely honorary positions -- my Mom's on several non-paid city commissions that have to be confirmed by Council. And every damn time they ask her where she lives. She always gets confirmed. Non-residents who want to help Detroit for free, OTOH; usually get shot down.

Quote:
Bottom line, the Detroit PD is 40% white in SPITE of anything they've done to manipulate racial demographics on the department, not because of it. The DPD is NOT recruiting white folks. If I can find some of the quotes I saved, I'll post them.
Umm...

Not actively recruiting a group is not the same as discriminating against it. If it was every company in the world would be racist against Barack Obama because nobody specifically recruits half-Kenyans.

And like I said, the DPD has not actively recruited for some time. There's no money to pay for new cops, even if we need them.
Quote:
But in the meantime, what do you think would happen if an 80% white city publically funded a private entity to the tune of $40million and said "Only white companies, business people, contractors and investors will be allowed to be part of the project"?
How do you think that would go over? Because that's exactly what they tried to do in the City of Detroit with the "African Town" marketplace. Only it was $40million in a publicy funded project to exclusively benefit black business people, investors and contractors.
Probably what happened to the City -- they'd have made major headlines about being racist idiots and changed their minds very quickly.

I'm not going to defend the vote. It was dumb. We didn't have the money to give, and giving out only to blacks would have been evil. Counter-productive, too -- nobody's better suited to import African Art than South African whites.
Quote:
How about Cosandra and Casandra Rutherford? Do you remember that "non racial" incident? Some European-American women from the suburbs were downtown for the fireworks and were robbed and beaten by two African-American Detroit women and I think a man. It was all captured on video on national TV. That's not the "anti European-American" part. After the "ladies" were arraigned, instead of using the situation as a chance to appear tough on crime, Mayor Coleman Young PAID FOR THE DEFENSE ATTORNEY FOR THE PERPETRATORS!!! What kind of message do you think he was sending to the suburbs? "Come on down, we love you?" Hell no, he was saying "Abandon all hope ye suburbanites who enter here."
I'm 26, so I've never heard of this incident. I can't find a source for it online, either.

Are you sure it happened that way?

Nick

Old 06-11-2007, 04:47 PM

35 posts, read 176,998 times
Quote:
Anyone who says anything objectively negative about Detroit is assumed to be a racist, or at best, a segregationist. And any suburban police department who doesn't hire every black person who applies, even though they have two or three times the percentage of black people on the police department than is reflected in their city's population demographics, is less open to diversity than the City of Detroit, even though they actively resisted hiring suburbanites and whites.
Two points:
First, you're dinging Detroit for only having 4*it's demographics in white cops.

Second, I'm not calling you racist. Factually incorrect, and strongly biased against the City, yes; racist, no.
Quote:
Think about it. Freeman Hendrix vs. The Hip Hop Mayor. The voters in Detroit chose the Hip Hop Mayor and may God bless them, they got what they deserve.
Freeman didn't have much to run on. When he took over the schools they didn't improve. The only real change is he spent all the money the previous board refused to spend, so his successors have crappy schools but no money to save them.

His only real card was competence, so his tenure running the Reform Board killed him.
Quote:
As far as the suburbs all being white, that's nonsense. There are so many black people fleeing Detroit that that can't possibly be true anymore whether you're talking about Dearborn, Livonia, the Bloomfields, etc. Not to mention majority black suburbs like Southfield.
And Inkster.

That's why I don't mean to imply you're racist. An 80% black city that favors it's residents in police hiring is always going to have a majority black police force. Same with mostly white cities that favor their residents. But both end up more mixed than their demographics anyway because the talent pool for cops is regional, and the region is much more mixed than the cities inside it.

Nick

Old 06-11-2007, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Um...didn't I say that I DID NOT want my kids to grow up thinking they are superior? Your logic just doesn't make sense to me. But oh well...agree to disagree. I'm not going to argue about it.
Get the chip off your shoulder. Nobody said it was you that said it. See below, khfar is the one that was talking superiority and that's why my question was directed at (which is why I had quoted him), not you.

Quote:

People can tell me that because we're living in a suburb of Detroit, my kids will grow up to think that because they are white, they are superior.
GAH!

Old 06-11-2007, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Get the chip off your shoulder. Nobody said it was you that said it. See below, khfar is the one that was talking superiority and that's why my question was directed at (which is why I had quoted him), not you.

Well, if you'll check your post, BOTH of those were me. Khfar.

I don't see that I have a chip on my shoulder, either. I said I didn't want to argue about it. Where's the chip? I was dropping it, and still am. Done.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:03 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,958,973 times
Khfar
Thank You and I'm glad you took the position you did.
Don't take the attack personal, it's not, you only ruffled some feathers when you refused to jump on the separatist bandwagon and the hate mob.
Thank you for your input on this forum.

Old 06-11-2007, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Well, if you'll check your post, BOTH of those were me. Khfar.

I don't see that I have a chip on my shoulder, either. I said I didn't want to argue about it. Where's the chip? I was dropping it, and still am. Done.
Oh, I didn't realize they were both you. But you did bring up the superiority, which is what makes me think you have a chip on your shoulder. If you say you don't then I'm probably just reading you wrong. It's hard to tell what people mean through reading online boards. Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of people.

But...Just because some people like to live in communities with people like themselves doesn't mean they think they "superior." Just means they feel they have more in common with those people, feel more welcome, feel more connected, feel safer...

Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Oh, I didn't realize they were both you. But you did bring up the superiority, which is what makes me think you have a chip on your shoulder. If you say you don't then I'm probably just reading you wrong. It's hard to tell what people mean through reading online boards. Sometimes it's hard to tell the tone of people.

But...Just because some people like to live in communities with people like themselves doesn't mean they think they "superior." Just means they feel they have more in common with those people, feel more welcome, feel more connected, feel safer...
No, no. I didn't mean to come across that way. I've never been known to have a chip on my shoulder. And you are very right, it is hard to tell what people are actually meaning sometimes, on message boards.

And by your last paragraph...I think I understand more where you are coming from. My biggest problem was that I don't want my kids to think that because they live in a mainly white area, that we are the only people that matter. I just couldn't seem to find an area in metro Detroit that fit our criteria, that also had some diversity. So we chose W. Bloomfield.

Anyway...no harm done, right? Olive branch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit