Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 07:18 AM

260 posts, read 768,577 times

Advertisements

Has anyone in the Detroit area or suburbs moved from Seattle or Los Angeles? My husband wants to move to be near family, but I just cannot imagine giving up life here in the PNW (previously lived in LA). How have you adjusted? Give me reasons not to move or to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 16,252 times
Hi,
I moved from west seattle in 2003 to Mi. I really do miss the weather in Seattle, but I also like the seasonal changes here in Mi.. The Detroit area is beautiful in the fall with all the color changes. You do have to get use to the winter months as it is much colder than Seattle, but having lived with REI so close I learned along time ago how to dress for cold. Housing prices are much more reasonable here in Michigan, but the taxes are higher. I remember complaining about my $2500 taxes in Seattle. Michigan has higher property taxes, plain and simple. I wouldn't hesitate to move here if you have a job lined up, or your retiring. Michigan has alot to offer, many lake side communities, that are reasonably priced. We couldn't even think of living on a lake in Seattle, but with have a house on the lake now.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:57 PM
rlt

86 posts, read 152,728 times
Well, here's one very important piece of information: DONT MOVE TO THE DETROIT AREA!

You will hate it!

But it's only the Southern Lower Pen. The rest of the state is gorgeous!!

Old 03-11-2010, 06:12 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Quote:
Well, here's one very important piece of information: DONT MOVE TO THE DETROIT AREA!

You will hate it!

Blah, blah, blah. There are plenty of beautiful places to live in southeast Michigan.

Old 03-11-2010, 06:29 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlt View Post

You will hate it!

I have to disagree with this statement too. Detroit has some suburbs that rival anything any other city has to offer. The outlying areas here in SE Michigan aren't too shabby either. We live in a small town in Monroe Co. and have a wonderful quality of life: it's safe, clean, the people are very friendly, and the neighborhoods are really nice. And, we only live half an hour from Detroit Metro Airport. I LOVE where we live in SE Michigan! Also, Ann Arbor is a world class city that probably has a very Seattle-like vibe in many ways, since it is an intellectual, artsy town and home to one of the most well respected universities in the country.

Old 03-11-2010, 08:23 PM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
It is hard to say whether you will like Michigan or not. I think it depends on what you expect out of an area you are living in. I know the west coast is more sophisticated, more liberal and Im sure offers more urban amenities. Michigan surely will feel slow and quiet to you. I bet you will notice the people are a bit more socially conservative than you may be used too. I have never been to Seattle, but have seen LA and SF, so I know that even our biggest urbanized area (southeast michigan) will seem small to you. There are some pluses to this however, like alot less traffic, and lower cost of living. Do you enjoy the outdoors?? boating? fishing/hunting? camping?, do you like snow and winter?? These are some things to think about. It seems that people who are happy with Michigan life tend to like some of these things. If you hate cold and snow, you probably should not come here. That would likely be a deal breaker. Now if think you may like some of what Mi has to offer, but want a little bit of an artsy progressive "west coast" type of enviroment then canudigit has a point about Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has a much different feel from most midwest towns, and you may feel more at home there. I think if you choose Mi, you will also find the people friendly and welcoming to you.

Old 03-12-2010, 05:32 AM

260 posts, read 768,577 times
We are retired, and conservative (at least financially), so we will not miss the liberal hubris here in Seattle. I don't think I will mind the snow except I hate walking on ice and driving on it even more. I just feel like the cold will keep me house bound in the winter and the humidity and mosquitos will keep me housebound in the summer. Is that true of most people? I love going out in the rain so Seattle suits me there. Do people go to Chicago for city life? We like Ann Arbor but again it would be a little too liberal to suit us. We will probably go to Plymouth. I love hearing that the people are friendly.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
Ann Arbor is pretty liberal, but there are plenty of beautiful suburbs of Detroit that are much more conservative, Plymouth being one. Also check out Northville, Novi, Bloomfield Hills, Troy, and Rochester, just to name a few. And most of the outlying farming areas, such as Monroe County, are pretty socially conservative. I read somewhere that Livingston County, just north of Ann Arbor and the Oakland County suburbs, is the most Republican county in Michigan, so it won't be hard to find like minded friends.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:38 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,950,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
Has anyone in the Detroit area or suburbs moved from Seattle or Los Angeles? My husband wants to move to be near family, but I just cannot imagine giving up life here in the PNW (previously lived in LA). How have you adjusted? Give me reasons not to move or to move!
Don't do it!!!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM

9,470 posts, read 10,803,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcalgal View Post
We are retired, and conservative (at least financially), so we will not miss the liberal hubris here in Seattle. I don't think I will mind the snow except I hate walking on ice and driving on it even more. I just feel like the cold will keep me house bound in the winter and the humidity and mosquitos will keep me housebound in the summer. Is that true of most people? I love going out in the rain so Seattle suits me there. Do people go to Chicago for city life? We like Ann Arbor but again it would be a little too liberal to suit us. We will probably go to Plymouth. I love hearing that the people are friendly.

I have an aunt that lives near plymouth, she likes it there. I live farther out in the state, but from here, yes people make the trip down too Chicago for trips to the "big city". Women seem to get together for shopping trips down there, and young people go there for the nightlife. Chicago is the hub of the whole midwest, so you will find it all there. About a four to five hour drive. Yes we have humidity and mosquitos, but they do not keep us housebound in the summer, and if you take up winter sports you have an excuse not to be housebound in the winter either. I noticed you said you were retired, so im gonna throw this out there, Traverse city is one of the most popular cities in the state for retirees. I know your looking at the SE part of mi, but thought you should know that. Scenery around TC is unbeatable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit