Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:50 PM

3 posts, read 12,007 times

Advertisements

I will be moving to the Detroit suburbs from Long Island , NY this summer. I am trying to secure a Master's level position in social work before I make the move. Anybody have any suggestions? I plan on moving to the Southfield or Sterling Heights area. Please email me at kay726@aol.com with any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2007, 07:54 PM

Default In addition

I also forgot to ask,can anyone recommend a good vet or doggy daycare for my puppy in the Detroit metro area. Thanks!

Old 06-04-2007, 01:08 PM

9,313 posts, read 11,063,252 times
Kay,
I'd suggest state, county, and city websites, easily found on the net.
Search for hospitals on the net, if that's an area of interest.
If you're a member of NASW they could be helpful. I've found them of limited use other than their own agendas, however. You could contact a board member from the region you plan to move to. It's luck of the draw how user friendly they'll be.
You might contact the MI licensing board and see if they have a jobs list.
I'd suggest you go to work on getting a MI SW license before you move. It can be easier collecting the paperwork while you're still where you went to school and have been working, rather than try to do it all remotely.
I've been licensed in several states and they go from mild to wild as far as user-friendliness; some are just bizarre.
Having a live license will also assist in your job search, although some states allow you to be placed while the application is being processed.
Good luck. Sounds like MI could use a lot of SWs these days.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:46 PM

Default Social Work Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Kay,
I'd suggest state, county, and city websites, easily found on the net.
Search for hospitals on the net, if that's an area of interest.
If you're a member of NASW they could be helpful. I've found them of limited use other than their own agendas, however. You could contact a board member from the region you plan to move to. It's luck of the draw how user friendly they'll be.
You might contact the MI licensing board and see if they have a jobs list.
I'd suggest you go to work on getting a MI SW license before you move. It can be easier collecting the paperwork while you're still where you went to school and have been working, rather than try to do it all remotely.
I've been licensed in several states and they go from mild to wild as far as user-friendliness; some are just bizarre.
Having a live license will also assist in your job search, although some states allow you to be placed while the application is being processed.
Good luck. Sounds like MI could use a lot of SWs these days.
Thank you for your response. Is there an particular area of social work that is in demand in Detroit?

Old 06-05-2007, 05:55 PM

9,313 posts, read 11,063,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay726 View Post
Thank you for your response. Is there an particular area of social work that is in demand in Detroit?
I don't know, I don't live there. But the licensing board is a place to start, and the schools nearby like U of M, Wayne State U, SW Departments will hopefully be helpful.
There's lots on the net, check out the Detroit News & Detroit Free Press.
Find Jobs - Social Worker Jobs in Detroit, MI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit