Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 06:33 PM

35 posts, read 101,113 times

Advertisements

I lived on the first street north of Hamtramck east of Jos Campau. I have to say that my neighbors there were nicer people and less troublesome than my neighbors in the suburbs. Yes, we had problems with prostitutes soliciting on my street corner and taking customers into the alley but I never felt unsafe living there. There was no drug dealing on our street and we all knew who the users were and if they came around, you could just tell them to scram. My section of the street still has 100% occupancy and a great mix of American and foreign born homeowners so I still recall it fondly. My problem with the area is that the schools on the Detroit side are quite sketchy and when we left, my daughter was a few months old. We rent the house to some friends and my daughter visits and loves to play with her little friends and the neighborhood kids. I still walk around the neighborhood at night during the summer if we are over at a friend's house and often walked to downtown Hamtramck for shopping. It wasn't that bad, honestly there are some things about my house down there that are better than the suburbs, like the great neighbors, cheap cost of living and proximity to shopping and recreation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 08:06 PM

1,497 posts, read 3,489,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroiteanca View Post
I lived on the first street north of Hamtramck east of Jos Campau. I have to say that my neighbors there were nicer people and less troublesome than my neighbors in the suburbs. Yes, we had problems with prostitutes soliciting on my street corner and taking customers into the alley but I never felt unsafe living there. There was no drug dealing on our street and we all knew who the users were and if they came around, you could just tell them to scram. My section of the street still has 100% occupancy and a great mix of American and foreign born homeowners so I still recall it fondly. My problem with the area is that the schools on the Detroit side are quite sketchy and when we left, my daughter was a few months old. We rent the house to some friends and my daughter visits and loves to play with her little friends and the neighborhood kids. I still walk around the neighborhood at night during the summer if we are over at a friend's house and often walked to downtown Hamtramck for shopping. It wasn't that bad, honestly there are some things about my house down there that are better than the suburbs, like the great neighbors, cheap cost of living and proximity to shopping and recreation.
Welcome to the board Detroiteanca! Though I don't live in Hamtramck, I do spend time there often, and I think it is really neat community.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:09 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,931,116 times
*I lived there in the eighties. Rented a flat. The building was not insulated and my furnace ran nonstop in the winter - outrageous bills even with cheap gas. Be cautious of these older buildings if you rent.
*Got pizza from Around The Korner on Holbrook - very good.
*An interesting nightlife always in flux. The Attic Bar on Jos Campau was a blues venue which hosted national acts occasionally. Other bars have a variety of entertainment and are places for new bands to hone their chops.
*Can't speak to the crime issue of today. Stuff happened, but not more than expected in a densely packed community. Some kid was setting garage fires. I don't recall any shootings or muggings - mostly petty property crimes.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 PM

333 posts, read 1,153,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
South end of Hamtramck is full of ghetto, cheap renters. The city seems to be taken over by even worse ghetto Detroiters in the day time.
Yeah, now that I think about it the blocks around Holbrook School are repulsive. Polish Village and the blocks between Fleming and Conant are still in decent shape though.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:51 AM

170 posts, read 495,958 times
Sadly I ended up not moving to Hamtramck. It has it's problems(like all places do)but is still dear to me. I love visiting there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit