U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-11-2010, 10:49 PM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
9,133 posts, read 9,938,784 times
Reputation: 15338

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lions552 View Post
I have so many fond memories of growing up and living in Detroit. The Thanksgiving parade, shopping at Hudson's, going to Tigers', Pistons', and Lions' games, car shows, concerts, etc.

On Thanksgiving we would go to the parade then have dinner at my grandmother's house. Most of my family lived in the city, so we always got together for holidays and other events. We also went to my grandmother's house every Christmas Eve. Every holiday season my family would go see the Detroit Symphony. The dinners, holidays, parties, BBQs...such great memories. We lived in solid, well kept, cozy homes. But now they've either been demolished or completely gutted.

My husband and I finally left Detroit and the state of Michigan in 1991. We haven't been back since. It totally depresses me to know what has happend to our beautiful city. The best times of my life were in Detroit. My parents experienced even better times. The fact that I can't go back to re-live some of the memories, or to raise my kids here really depresses me. I'll never get over what has happend to my hometown.

I see youve mentioned the Lions as part of a fond memory of growing up in Michigan. The Tigers and Pistons, yea lots of good years for them. The Lions???? UGHHHH not so sure about that one. You had better be grey haired and using a cane to be old enough to remember the Lions being good. lol
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2010, 06:14 PM
 
18 posts, read 40,992 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I see youve mentioned the Lions as part of a fond memory of growing up in Michigan. The Tigers and Pistons, yea lots of good years for them. The Lions???? UGHHHH not so sure about that one. You had better be grey haired and using a cane to be old enough to remember the Lions being good. lol
True Lions fan right here, no matter how horrible they are.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 02:24 PM
 
Location: Detroit suburb
9 posts, read 17,566 times
Reputation: 16
Yeah. it happened again today! They stopped me and held me up for an hour in a torrential rainfall. They tore apart my car and let me go with the threat if they catch me in that area again, I will go to jail. They found no drugs, paraphenialia, anything. I am there on the up and up...I am white was my crime.
I will stay out now 'cuz he said if I am even there again, he will take me to jail.
WTF! Is Detroit off limits to whites?
Unbelievable!
Screw them!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,860,801 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatherj43 View Post
Yeah. it happened again today! They stopped me and held me up for an hour in a torrential rainfall. They tore apart my car and let me go with the threat if they catch me in that area again, I will go to jail. They found no drugs, paraphenialia, anything. I am there on the up and up...I am white was my crime.
I will stay out now 'cuz he said if I am even there again, he will take me to jail.
WTF! Is Detroit off limits to whites?
Unbelievable!
Screw them!!
Detroit's off limits to whites? I'm white myself, and I go to Detroit a lot, and I've never been arrested or even pulled over. Ever.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Warrendale Neighborhood
2 posts, read 6,942 times
Reputation: 12
Detroit most definitely IS worth saving my friend... people like you are part of the problem NOT the solution... you criticize the earlier poster for her leaving the city 17 years ago... but you just add fuel to the fire.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,066 posts, read 24,091,611 times
Reputation: 9882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
...and I was horrified. I found the street, but all I found at my former address was a teal foundation and the remains of the pillars of my front porch. I used to feel safe in my neighborhood, but I was scared just trying to find my own former home. I drove up and down the streets where I used to let my children play. They're now full of remains of burned down homes, caked with garbage, and infested with assorted stray animals. I moved out of Detroit 17 years ago, when the neighborhood was still pretty OK. I'm still in shock that all that could happen in under 20 years.
Are you truly surprised? I knew your neighborhood 20 years ago (I did not live there but spent substantial time in the area), and yeah it was okay. Right across Van Dyke, and a few blocks over, there were hundreds of burned down homes, or empty lots where homes had been. Why would you be surprised that it would eventually cross Van Dyke and hit your former area? It was inevitable that when people left the problems would spread to areas left behind. I'm sorry that you have to see the old place look like that, but were you really surprised by this?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2010, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Detroit's Marina District
970 posts, read 2,860,801 times
Reputation: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Are you truly surprised? I knew your neighborhood 20 years ago (I did not live there but spent substantial time in the area), and yeah it was okay. Right across Van Dyke, and a few blocks over, there were hundreds of burned down homes, or empty lots where homes had been. Why would you be surprised that it would eventually cross Van Dyke and hit your former area? It was inevitable that when people left the problems would spread to areas left behind. I'm sorry that you have to see the old place look like that, but were you really surprised by this?
I never said I was surprised, I knew the amount of urban decay in the area was bad. But, when I was driving down there, I kept thinking to myself, "Okay, maybe someone still lives there, and they're maintaining it!", but no.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 AM
 
Location: North of Canada, but not the Arctic
18,746 posts, read 16,767,472 times
Reputation: 22596
It would be a surprised to me if 20 years years from now my current neighborhood looks like many of the areas of Detroit. I'm only a few miles away from some pretty bad areas, but I can't imagine the current group of residents allowing their homes to fall apart, or causing problems (burglary, arson, etc.) I'll be pretty darn angry if I see that someone has destroyed the place where I had so many happy times. It might explain why many former Detroiters feel the way they do.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,066 posts, read 24,091,611 times
Reputation: 9882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
It would be a surprised to me if 20 years years from now my current neighborhood looks like many of the areas of Detroit. I'm only a few miles away from some pretty bad areas, but I can't imagine the current group of residents allowing their homes to fall apart, or causing problems (burglary, arson, etc.) I'll be pretty darn angry if I see that someone has destroyed the place where I had so many happy times. It might explain why many former Detroiters feel the way they do.
Of course. The poster I was asking, lived just across Van Dyke from some pretty bad areas. It wasn't miles away. Of course I would be angry too, if it had happened where I grew up.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2010, 11:14 AM
 
Location: Metro Washington DC
15,066 posts, read 24,091,611 times
Reputation: 9882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I never said I was surprised, I knew the amount of urban decay in the area was bad. But, when I was driving down there, I kept thinking to myself, "Okay, maybe someone still lives there, and they're maintaining it!", but no.
I guess I read the word 'horrified' and assumed it meant that you were surprised.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top