Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 05:05 PM

27 posts, read 112,718 times

Advertisements

SC, Like yourself, I only had to walk to the corner (Lakewood and Jefferson) to find everything I needed. I don't remember to much about living on St. Jean near Mack as I was a bit younger. I do remember Cunninghams as my Dad took us there for a soda evry now and then. The days in summer were never ending. Walk anywhere without worry. I can remember walking to Jefferson Ave. when I was just 6 or 7 years old.
The Cinderella was a blast! I can remember sailing the empty pop corn boxes off the balcony. Went mostly to the Lakewood theatre. Movies like The Giant Claw, Black Scorpion, Monster That challenged the World. Give a kid a quarter and he/she was in Heaven. I went to Guyton, would have gone to Jackson but moved.
Got my first bike from the chieny man. (not sure of spelling). Can still remember the street cars going down jefferson. (I was young then but remember).
I mentione in an earlier post about the coney island on Warren across from the City bus parking lot. The Hot Dogs were so good.
When I was 15 I worked at a "Pure" gas station at springle and mack. Used to go to Top Hats at Warren and Connots after work to sit in the window on the stools and listen to the jukebox.
If one has lived it, (growing up in Detroit at thet time) all you need do is sit back, close your eyes and be immediately back in time.

Last edited by alcapone; 01-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.. Reason: Forgot header
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 05:56 PM

419 posts, read 758,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Does anyone remember Motor Products on Mack Ave? Does anyone have pictures? My grandfather worked there about 1920-1928, thereabouts. I have one picture of it, can't find any pictures on google, etc. I would be very interested if anyone has pictures of Motor Products they could post, thanks!
Wasn't that the first Henry Ford shop/plant? I think it was located near Beaubien St. & Mack. I bought a large book at the Henry Ford Museum when I was there in 2003. I remember reading about his first plant on Mack Ave. and the name Motor Products sounds familiar. There was also pictures of the building in the book. I think I also read that the building stood for many years. I think it was finally leveled, but not sure. Of course, the book is packed away in a box in Pittsburgh, which I will probably never see again.

I am amazed that you can remember so many stories that your grandfather told you. Sure wish we had those stories on tape.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithwand View Post
We lived on Manor until 1956 when I was 3.
I do not remember living there but drove by in 1980.
It was def. not the same from pictures my family had.
What a shame.
My grandfather built many homes in Detroit in the 1920s-40s when he passed away.
He would be saddened if he could them now.
Where was Manor located? If your house didn't look too good in 1980, I would hate to see it now, if it is still standing.

I bet your grandfather would be sad to see the condition all of the houses he lovingly built.

Quite a few years ago, I saw a picture in one of the Detroit newspapers showing several old Polish women probably in their 80's standing in front of their beloved Catholic church while it was being destroyed to make way for the new Hamtramack GM plant. They were crying and their priest was trying to comfort them. That church had been a huge part of their entire lives. While not as devasting, I had a similiar feeling as I stood in Campus Martius park watching them swing the wrecking balls at the old city hall. There was absolutely no reason to destroy that building.

Old 01-04-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapone View Post
SC, Like yourself, I only had to walk to the corner (Lakewood and Jefferson) to find everything I needed. I don't remember to much about living on St. Jean near Mack as I was a bit younger. I do remember Cunninghams as my Dad took us there for a soda evry now and then. The days in summer were never ending. Walk anywhere without worry. I can remember walking to Jefferson Ave. when I was just 6 or 7 years old.
The Cinderella was a blast! I can remember sailing the empty pop corn boxes off the balcony. Went mostly to the Lakewood theatre. Movies like The Giant Claw, Black Scorpion, Monster That challenged the World. Give a kid a quarter and he/she was in Heaven. I went to Guyton, would have gone to Jackson but moved.
Got my first bike from the chieny man. (not sure of spelling). Can still remember the street cars going down jefferson. (I was young then but remember).
I mentione in an earlier post about the coney island on Warren across from the City bus parking lot. The Hot Dogs were so good.
When I was 15 I worked at a "Pure" gas station at springle and mack. Used to go to Top Hats at Warren and Connots after work to sit in the window on the stools and listen to the jukebox.
If one has lived it, (growing up in Detroit at thet time) all you need do is sit back, close your eyes and be immediately back in time.
Too funny, while you were throwing pop corn boxes off the balcony, we were sneaking puffs on cigarettes. We would sit there smoking until the ushers made us put them out. There was one usher who just ignored us, so we puffed away. All of this went on at night though, never went to the Cinderella during the day.

The Uptown theatre was completely filthy after the last movie let out. Popcorn, candy wrappers and other garbage covered the floor. Pop was only in a small dixie cup and was only available from a pop machine. I remember it was very sticky and we were not allowed to take it into the theatre.

I don't remember the coney island. Was it near Conner? If so, maybe it was Cupid's. I remember going often to a Big Boy's drive-in when I was 16 or 17. I don't remember where it was located. Maybe on Harper?

My parents bought me a new bike when we lived on Barham. It was a pretty blue with handlebar breaks. Unfortunately, that bike became a real pain. I had to drag it down a flight of steps to get to the street, then drag it up the steeps when I came home. I couldn't leave it alone for fear of someone stealing it. I finally bought an old beater bike for $2.00. Maybe, I got mine from the sheeney man too. I loved that bike because I could throw it down anywhere and leave it underneath the steps when I came home. The bike so bad that nobody would want it, so no fear of theft.

I wish I had paid more attention to my surroundings while growing up. I also wish I had taken a lot of pictures of the streets, stores & houses. But, who goes around taking pictures of their neighborhoods. I guess I thought everything would always remain the same.

Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,404,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Wasn't that the first Henry Ford shop/plant? I think it was located near Beaubien St. & Mack. I bought a large book at the Henry Ford Museum when I was there in 2003. I remember reading about his first plant on Mack Ave. and the name Motor Products sounds familiar. There was also pictures of the building in the book. I think I also read that the building stood for many years. I think it was finally leveled, but not sure. Of course, the book is packed away in a box in Pittsburgh, which I will probably never see again.

I am amazed that you can remember so many stories that your grandfather told you. Sure wish we had those stories on tape.
I do remember Grandpa first came to Detroit in 1914, right after he and my grandmother married. They came from PA, he said they took a boat up the Erie canal, strange, since he used to work for B&O railroad? But looking on a map, it made sense.

He got employment practically the second he stepped off the boat, working unloading! Then later went to work for Detroit Shipbuilding, and worked through WWI there. he got a deferrment from the war due to doing essential war work. Then later went to work for Motor Products, which was within walking distance of his home (well, for him it was!). Then got laid off from Motor Products during the Great Depression, and found work driving a trolley bus for about 3 years. meantime he built up his own little business, so he never depended on "big business" again. His business thrived during WWII, he amassed a lot of money, then, sadly, he lost most due to Grandma's high medical bills. She developed cancer, they didn't have insurance, and Medicare was not yet enacted, either pay or die. She had the best of care, in Bon Secours, but he died practically broke.

I really doubt the Motor Products he worked for was part of Ford, he never mentioned that. he did say it went out of business around 1950's, knew several coworkers who got screwed out of their pensions. In those days, you either worked 30 years or nothing, no prorated pension, many were laid off within one day of retirement! Those were the days!

Sadly, his home and business are now just a vacant field, gone back to weeds. There's many stories out there like his, I just wish I had more to go on than my memories. Most of his posessions, memoribilia, etc, were destroyed via a fire and vandalism. but that's Detroit for you!

Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

I've done some researching, no, the Motor Products my Grandpa worked for was not a part of Ford. It was a independent company that supplied parts to automakers. the East Side was dominated by chrysler, Ford was more towards the West Side.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 PM

27 posts, read 112,718 times
Default East Side

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Too funny, while you were throwing pop corn boxes off the balcony, we were sneaking puffs on cigarettes. We would sit there smoking until the ushers made us put them out. There was one usher who just ignored us, so we puffed away. All of this went on at night though, never went to the Cinderella during the day.

The Uptown theatre was completely filthy after the last movie let out. Popcorn, candy wrappers and other garbage covered the floor. Pop was only in a small dixie cup and was only available from a pop machine. I remember it was very sticky and we were not allowed to take it into the theatre.

I don't remember the coney island. Was it near Conner? If so, maybe it was Cupid's. I remember going often to a Big Boy's drive-in when I was 16 or 17. I don't remember where it was located. Maybe on Harper?

My parents bought me a new bike when we lived on Barham. It was a pretty blue with handlebar breaks. Unfortunately, that bike became a real pain. I had to drag it down a flight of steps to get to the street, then drag it up the steeps when I came home. I couldn't leave it alone for fear of someone stealing it. I finally bought an old beater bike for $2.00. Maybe, I got mine from the sheeney man too. I loved that bike because I could throw it down anywhere and leave it underneath the steps when I came home. The bike so bad that nobody would want it, so no fear of theft.

I wish I had paid more attention to my surroundings while growing up. I also wish I had taken a lot of pictures of the streets, stores & houses. But, who goes around taking pictures of their neighborhoods. I guess I thought everything would always remain the same.
I think that Coney Island was at the southeast corner of Conner and Warren. Who doesn't remember those Pall Malls and Chesterfields that were so easy to sneak out of Dad's cigarette packages. The Big Boys, I think was at Chalmers and Harper. Not sure though as I only was there once or twice. Those theatres, what fun. Cartoons and 2 or 3 matinee films. I can remember paying 15 cents. Wow, that was a lot of entertainment for that little bit of money. I used to enjoy Rocket Man on tv along with Howdy Doody and Milkys Party Time (Twin Pines).
Lots of guys had Mo-Peds then. I used to dream of getting one.
Can't ever forget spending Sunday in front of the tv watching Bill Kennedy with my Uncle. I used to sneak up late at night and watch Night Watch Theatre. On Saturday late night was Schock Theatre. I can still remember the Host telling you to "Insulate yourself from Schock"in that scary voice just as the movie started.
Lots of times we would go down Jefferson to look at the giant stove. Looking back now I wonder why as kids we kept going back to sit and stare at it.
I spend lots of time on the "Fabulous Ruins Od Detroit" site. Tons of pictures on it. All telling a sad tale.......

Old 01-04-2011, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I've done some researching, no, the Motor Products my Grandpa worked for was not a part of Ford. It was a independent company that supplied parts to automakers. the East Side was dominated by chrysler, Ford was more towards the West Side.
Here is a link to the WSU Virtual site to see a picture of the Motor Products Co. There are 3 images all taken in the 1930's. The plant was located at 11801 Mack Ave. I don't think anything exists at that address. But, the best I can tell the plant was located between Conner & St. Jean, closer to Conner.

By the way, the Ford shop on Beaubien was a sort of dinky place that he moved to in 1904 and later added another story. At that time Ford only assembled auto's. He purchased all parts from outside suppliers.

WSU Virtual Motor City Collection (Detroit News):*52553*52553

Hope the link works and this is the right plant.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 PM

428 posts, read 1,082,879 times
Manor runs a ways but we were North of Joy Rd, East of Schaeffer.

In the early 1960's Lydia our cleaning lady (we considered her our second Mom) would sometimes take us home to spend the weekends. She lived on Clairmont. Her husband would take us to the store and we had a great time. My folks would drive down to get us.

When the riots broke out we asked them to come to Birmingham and stay with us until it was over. She declined so that she could sit on her porch and show that a black family lived there.

Years later we went to her mothers funeral and were starting to get harassed; why we were there etc.
She saw us and came out and told them we were her family and then everyone became nice.

It is a shame to see Detroit change.

My wife grew up in GP and mentioned to me about the sheeney man too. I had never heard of it. Think he sharpened knives or something.

Old 01-05-2011, 12:41 PM

My wife grew up in GP and mentioned to me about the sheeney man too. I had never heard of it. Think he sharpened knives or something

Now I remember the Chieny Man---vaguely. He'd come by and sharpen tools, housewives would take their kitchen knifes, garden tools, etc to him for sharpening. He just disappeared one day, like so much of the old neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit