Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2010, 02:54 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times

Advertisements

He did say he was "in shock".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 04:12 AM

27 posts, read 112,720 times
Default i found my old house today

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
What may seem to you to be "sob stories" are the truth, told by those who lived it. That's history, like it or not!
Well put and truthfully so. In regards to the post you answered Yes many of us would have banded together but to stand up and speak the truth not only are you suffering present conditions, but you are labled "Racist". I applaud your efforts on the truth of the matter. I lived on Lakewood below Jefferson in the fifties. A lovely neighborhood. I attended Guyton elementary. I remember hanging out on Jefferson Avenue on Saturdays after going to one of the three theatres within a half mile area. Jefferson was such a busy thriving business district then. To the writer of the sobbing post I say to Try doing that now. You will be accosted, mugged or have some sort of aggression perpatrated on your person. Sadly we moved to the Houston Whittier area. Years later the element caught up with us. It started by my daughter recieving un wanted attention from certain people who just could not accept she was not interested. (especially at 9 years old) Next came the break ins of the garage, then finally the home. Again, we were forced to flee what we worked so hard for. I can live next to anyone, just simply let me live worry free about the safety of my family and possesions that I have worked for. I am sorry if one has nothing but that is how everyone starts out that I know of. Get a job, any job. Work hard and rise among the ranks, it may take time but no one is entitled to hire in as the CEO unless qualified for the posistion. Bottom line, anyone can walk down my street (at the present time era) at any hour of the day or night without fear, go try doing that in your old neighborhood. Anyone who says they can are simply not realistic. Yes thats all I have are "sob" memories as well. I remember my mother, brothers and I going to the Hern Yards (not sure of spelling) and walking by the tracks to pick up coal that had fallen from the RR cars as we did not have much money. Many memories of the wooden floors at the Kreges at Lakewood and Jefferson, the mom and pop soda fountains down Essex street and throughout the rest of the neighborhood.

Old 12-22-2010, 10:54 AM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcapone View Post
Well put and truthfully so. In regards to the post you answered Yes many of us would have banded together but to stand up and speak the truth not only are you suffering present conditions, but you are labled "Racist". I applaud your efforts on the truth of the matter. I lived on Lakewood below Jefferson in the fifties. A lovely neighborhood. I attended Guyton elementary. I remember hanging out on Jefferson Avenue on Saturdays after going to one of the three theatres within a half mile area. Jefferson was such a busy thriving business district then. To the writer of the sobbing post I say to Try doing that now. You will be accosted, mugged or have some sort of aggression perpatrated on your person. Sadly we moved to the Houston Whittier area. Years later the element caught up with us. It started by my daughter recieving un wanted attention from certain people who just could not accept she was not interested. (especially at 9 years old) Next came the break ins of the garage, then finally the home. Again, we were forced to flee what we worked so hard for. I can live next to anyone, just simply let me live worry free about the safety of my family and possesions that I have worked for. I am sorry if one has nothing but that is how everyone starts out that I know of. Get a job, any job. Work hard and rise among the ranks, it may take time but no one is entitled to hire in as the CEO unless qualified for the posistion. Bottom line, anyone can walk down my street (at the present time era) at any hour of the day or night without fear, go try doing that in your old neighborhood. Anyone who says they can are simply not realistic. Yes thats all I have are "sob" memories as well. I remember my mother, brothers and I going to the Hern Yards (not sure of spelling) and walking by the tracks to pick up coal that had fallen from the RR cars as we did not have much money. Many memories of the wooden floors at the Kreges at Lakewood and Jefferson, the mom and pop soda fountains down Essex street and throughout the rest of the neighborhood.

Sounds like you're from my old stomping grounds. But I'm having a hard time placing where you were---Lakewood below Jefferson? I thought Jefferson was the end point, it was the river from there, or maybe It bulged out a bit from there? I don't recall a kresgees there, there was a Kresges on Mackand Lakewood, between Newport and Lakewood.

Do you remember the old Monthieth Library? I always thought it looked like an old castle, gray stone building, interesting architecture, the old wood flooring, that "basement" no one was supposed to go into (we kids decided there was a torture chamber there for those who damaged books)

It was a great place to grow up, but, sadly, a place we couldn't stay in. The last few years I lived there I remember laying awake at night hearing gun shots, people screaming, my Dad worked nights and he carried a gun going back and forth to his car, nice way to live,Well, I "fled" to a place where I can sleep at night, go to my car without someone watching me, and feel my efforts to pay off my home isn't sinking money into a losing cause. Guess that makes me a racist with a sob story, but at least I'm comfortable in my own home, don't I have the right to chose that?

Old 12-22-2010, 11:02 AM

Although I haven't been back for about 20 years, I keep up with the area through former friends, neighbors, websites, etc.

I googled my former address, I was shocked to see nothing but a vacant field. I just stared at that for a long time remembering all that happened there. My gradparents and parents lived there, 3 generations grew up there, now its just a vacant field, like nothing ever happened there. Most of the neighborhood around it is vacant field, too.

I'm hoping to write a little book, just a private printing, just for myself and my children, about that area. Of course, I will concentrate on what I know, my family, etc. Rather than a geneaology, a narrative of sorts, with pictures I have, what I can find, what I can remember. it will by no means be complete, but something to mark that people lived there.

Some people can take their children back to their former haunts and at least let them see their former homes, schools, places that they used to frequent. But I can't even do that. Most of the old neighborhood is destroyed, and what is left I'm afraid to go to. Perhaps putting together a little book that tells the story will give my kids some idea of where I came from, at least their memories won't be totally lost in time.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:05 AM

Let me tell you the contrast in my old neighborhood and current one---

Several months ago, I went to look for my cat, about 10 pm, I felt comfortable walking the street alone after dark. I tripped and fell, fractured my lower pelvis. As I lay there in a small driveway, it never occurred to me to be frightened of the area and who might do what to me. Also, I wasn't afraid for my dd, who was alone in the house. Fortunately, I had my cell and called 911, got an ambulance, many places in Detroit 911 won't even respond.

My point is, there I was, alone and vunerable laying in the street with a fractured pelvis, and I wasn't afraid, just mighty upset I'd gotten into that prediciment. But in Detroit, well, I probably wouldn't have ventured out at night by myself for anything!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:15 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Marylee do you have pictures from the past of your old house?

Old 12-22-2010, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osito View Post
Marylee do you have pictures from the past of your old house?

Yes, I do, would be glad to post them, but have to dig them out first. We recently moved and my stuff is still packed away. Those houses were small by today's standards, usually only one bathroom, although we did have a flush-up toilet in the basement. OUrs was a nice, 4 bdr, if only in the right neighborhood it would still be worth something.

As it was, I moved away, and my parents spent about another 3 years there. Finally they were forced to leave---my mother was attacked on the front porch, their house was vurgalarized twice, the house next door to them was burned and a mother and 5-year old child perished. My parents had lived there all my life, they thought it was their retirement place, then forced out. They literally fled like thieves in the night. My Dad was in the hospital and my mother was alone. They had already put a lease on an apt in Warren, but hadn't moved in yet. some friends came over one afternoon and helped my mother pack up the essentials, some furniture, basics, like clothes, cooking utensils, etc, then got her to the apt. They were all anxious to make it in one trip so not to be there after nightfall.

When my mother came back in a few days, the place was ransacked, she salvaged what she could, a lifetime of memories just gone. Also, their dog went missing. they thought they could keep her in the backyard and come by every few days to feed her, somehow she was gone, we don't even want to guess what was her fate. My parents were fortunate to have enough saved and income to be able to move without the proceeds of the sale of that house, which wouldn't have sold, anyways. My mother spent several months living in an apt in Warren with nothing more than a folding cot, some folding chairs and card table, a few lamps, a TV, etc, all they could carry. So, at the end of their working life, they were back to the basics. How's that for "white flight"?

They managed to make the apt more homey in time and spent their retitement in Warren, at least safe, but that's no way for decent, law abiding citizens to spend their retirement years. I saw what happened to them, I won't let it happen to me, hang any label you wish on me, its my life!

And I will try to post pictures when I can!

Old 12-22-2010, 02:51 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
There was a Kresge store at Lakewood & Jefferson. My mother worked there for a while in the early 60's after being transferred from the Mack & Chalmers store.

Old 12-22-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
There was a Kresge store at Lakewood & Jefferson. My mother worked there for a while in the early 60's after being transferred from the Mack & Chalmers store.

Was that where "The Hill" started? Remember "The Hill" was some shops in Grosse Pointe, including a Jacobson's, etc. I recall that Kresge's as being more upscale than the one on Mack Ave, guess that's why we never shopped there!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 29,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
...and I was horrified. I found the street, but all I found at my former address was a teal foundation and the remains of the pillars of my front porch. I used to feel safe in my neighborhood, but I was scared just trying to find my own former home. I drove up and down the streets where I used to let my children play. They're now full of remains of burned down homes, caked with garbage, and infested with assorted stray animals. I moved out of Detroit 17 years ago, when the neighborhood was still pretty OK. I'm still in shock that all that could happen in under 20 years.
They say you can never go home again. I did that after 4 years and I was so disappointed with what the new owners did to it. I will never do it again. I might even apply this to school reunions, old friends etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit