Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 09:26 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,000,902 times

Advertisements

I left a Tigers game once at 11 at night. Well the friend I was with lived in Warren. I had the bright idea of taking Gratiot to Van Dyke after the game instead of fighting traffic to get on 75. Well I'm going down Van Dyke at 11 PM and around McNichols we get stopped by the longest train I think I have ever seen. We were the only car stopped. Well then we noticed some shady looking hoodlums standing on both sides of the street staring at my car. Well I put the car in reverse just in case they approached and I would just fly down the street in reverse. Anyways a Detroit cop pull up next to me in the center turn lane. That was a big sigh of relief. Well before the crossing bars were all the way, he peels out literally squeeling his tires and hangs a left on McNichols through a red light. Suddenly I didn't feel as safe as I thought he was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2010, 07:26 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
I left a Tigers game once at 11 at night. Well the friend I was with lived in Warren. I had the bright idea of taking Gratiot to Van Dyke after the game instead of fighting traffic to get on 75. Well I'm going down Van Dyke at 11 PM and around McNichols we get stopped by the longest train I think I have ever seen. We were the only car stopped. Well then we noticed some shady looking hoodlums standing on both sides of the street staring at my car. Well I put the car in reverse just in case they approached and I would just fly down the street in reverse. Anyways a Detroit cop pull up next to me in the center turn lane. That was a big sigh of relief. Well before the crossing bars were all the way, he peels out literally squeeling his tires and hangs a left on McNichols through a red light. Suddenly I didn't feel as safe as I thought he was.
That area is creepy enough in broad daylight, let alone at 11 at night with a bunch of people eying your car. Sounds pretty scary.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:19 PM

8 posts, read 17,645 times
No, this is against the law unless he had a legal reason to be running the lights. You should have taken down the Police car number and called the Police Dept. and reported him. Many Police Departments around the country take advantage of the law, and their positions. This is not the way they were trained nor is it acceptable behavior, but until they get caught or until someone reports them like you should have done then they will get away with breaking the same laws that you would be ticketed for. Community involvement has never been more important than in todays world.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:23 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,392,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysandy View Post
No, this is against the law unless he had a legal reason to be running the lights. You should have taken down the Police car number and called the Police Dept. and reported him. Many Police Departments around the country take advantage of the law, and their positions. This is not the way they were trained nor is it acceptable behavior, but until they get caught or until someone reports them like you should have done then they will get away with breaking the same laws that you would be ticketed for. Community involvement has never been more important than in todays world.

I'd keep my mouth shut if I were you. They all get away with it...make one of them "police' their own and they can make life pretty difficult for you

Old 04-19-2010, 03:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
This is fairly common in residential areas. The police are told not to turn on their sirens and lights unless ablsolutely necessay becuase it is very distrubing to the residents. I always thought tht it be more distrubing to me to be run over by a policeman speeding along with no siren, but apparently, others disagree.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:17 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,103,050 times
It's like that here in KY too, honestly.

Old 04-20-2010, 07:02 AM

937 posts, read 2,833,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snappysandy View Post
And you know that he had no legal reason, how? Take down his car number and call and report him and waste their time and efforts because YOU have ZERO idea how the police operate. Good job, way to be a nagging nanny. Next time they respond to your residence for a call, I hope they stop at every red AND green light on the way.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:00 PM

272 posts, read 723,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redford dude View Post
I don't know why but I've been seeing this a lot in Westland and Livonia lately. I don't know if there's an emergency or if they just figure the can get away with it so why not? They do turn their flashers on for a split second while going through the lights, however.

I've seen this quite a few times in Redford and Livonia. In fact, one time I saw a cop do this, and ended up behind him in line a few minutes later inside of McDonalds. Maybe he heard they were almost out of coffee??

Old 04-20-2010, 09:32 PM

937 posts, read 2,833,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivoniaMi View Post
I've seen this quite a few times in Redford and Livonia. In fact, one time I saw a cop do this, and ended up behind him in line a few minutes later inside of McDonalds. Maybe he heard they were almost out of coffee??
It's not out of the ordinary to get a call, start heading there, and then get cancelled.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:49 AM

272 posts, read 723,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
It's not out of the ordinary to get a call, start heading there, and then get cancelled.

Yeah, I know that happens. But not as often as I see this going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit