Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 03:26 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,198,895 times

Advertisements

Oh! Why didn't I think of Pontiac! Perfect example that the "south of Troy" rule is just a load of hogwash.

Old 06-12-2007, 04:53 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,745,336 times
Once again you are comparing apples to oranges. Everyone in the Detroit area (at least natives) know that you stay clear of the city of Detroit and you stay clear of Pontiac (among some other metro area cities). That is another bad area that people who care try to avoid. I never said anything in the state above Troy is good. Heck, we could keep going and stay away from Flint while you are at!

Really I just think you sound jealous. You made the decision to be where you are. Great... but others (many others) desire to be out further and not so close to Detroit. You already mentioned in one of your posts about your close proximity to Detroit and that the cops are well aware of that and account for it. Why? Because the closer you get to Detroit and being in Detroit generally the worse off the area is. Sure, there are exceptions, but generally speaking.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:28 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,452,595 times
IMHO, RO's proximity to Detroit is a non-issue when it comes to crime. It's not THAT close. Places like Ferndale might have issues, but towns north of I-696 are pretty removed from the day-to-day happenings of the city. Perps tend to commit crimes in their neighborhoods or ones adjacent to it so they can make a quick getaway. AFAIK, there are no crime-ridden neighborhoods adjacent to RO. As I said, it's people who come into downtown RO at night to have some fun and then get carried-away after some drinks. This happens anywhere that has a nightlife.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
Once again you are comparing apples to oranges. Everyone in the Detroit area (at least natives) know that you stay clear of the city of Detroit and you stay clear of Pontiac (among some other metro area cities). That is another bad area that people who care try to avoid. I never said anything in the state above Troy is good. Heck, we could keep going and stay away from Flint while you are at!

Really I just think you sound jealous. You made the decision to be where you are. Great... but others (many others) desire to be out further and not so close to Detroit. You already mentioned in one of your posts about your close proximity to Detroit and that the cops are well aware of that and account for it. Why? Because the closer you get to Detroit and being in Detroit generally the worse off the area is. Sure, there are exceptions, but generally speaking.
Jealous? Um, let me just understate my true reaction this silly notion and say not quite. I just moved down here from Clarkston, which is a great town. I truly mean it when I say that we LOVE Royal Oak, and although Clarkston is fine, for us there is no comparison. There is simply more of an urban feel here, which we prefer. Clarkston was too lily-white and countryfied for our tastes.

Perhaps you thought that I was attacking everyone who lives north of 16 Mile? Absolutely not. I personally think that this area-the Woodward cooridor, Ferndale up through Birmingham-is the best part of this area to live in, with a few other towns that probably rival it. Obviously other people feel differently and choose to live where they feel is best for them.

But I think the notion that anything south of 16 Mile is just RIPE with crime, or is about to be, is just an extension of the racist attitudes that are prevalent here in the Metro. As well as being completely untrue.

We all know that Detroit has plenty of problems, one of them being crime. I don't see how it's a negative when towns close to crime-ridden areas have more police patroling to stop any spillover.

Anywho, this has gotten off the thread topic. Maybe I'll start another thread asking who feels the same way you do, and who doesnt!

Old 06-13-2007, 12:45 PM

Default This horse

is officially dead. I will stop beating it now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit