Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2007, 06:11 PM

111 posts, read 485,334 times

Advertisements

Royal Oak schools are fine and well funded. They are consolidating some schools as a natural progression from a high-child-content district. But at the same time they are building NEW schools.

Rumor has it, over the next 5-6 years, they will be building another new school. So things are looking up in regards to the school as we will have newer facilities, teachers are well paid, the funds are there. More and more families are locating back into Royal Oak, especially as new developers build bigger homes.

After all, it is the city of parks isn't it? There isn't anywhere in the world like Royal Oak, where there is a park for every 1,000 residents, and nearly 1 part every square mile!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:42 PM

1,608 posts, read 9,746,228 times
You really can't go wrong with Bloomfield, Troy or Rochester Hills. My family all lives in Troy. It's consistantly ranked as one of the safest cities in the country, yes the country. They also have great schools and a lot of shopping, freeway access, low crime, etc. It's a great city. Personally I am more fond of Rochester Hills, I like what it has to offer, I really like the hills. I think the hills give it some character. They also have great schools there.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:00 PM

111 posts, read 485,334 times
I find RochHills to be a bit snooty, almost like Birmingham out in the country more.

I lived there, and know several people still living there, and they tell me this hasn't changed, and this is one aspect keeping me from ever moving there. I like my kids to have an eclectic mix of other students so nobody develops that "I am better than you" attitude. Troy is ok, but I don't think it is on an upswing and there is a large minority influx there - just to get that out there for people who may or may not like that.

That is a pretty important aspect to choosing a location IMO. Royal Oak and Berkley have my vote.

Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
RochHills is snooty like a Pontiac Bonneville, meaning in its own mind. The rest of the world has a clue and already got the Acura. The Detroit area has 'character' but it's not worth one-upping the GM Joneses and the Ford Smiths. Then again, most Detroit suburbs have more character than those in Chicagoland. Chicago is just giant sprawl.

If I had turned into some kind of corporate family man, I'd hang my hat in Northville-ish. Rochester/Shelby/Troy is dull, and Bloomfield is definitely snooty, as it Oakland Township, which is what people often have in mind when they discuss RochHills. McMansions for everyone!

Old 06-18-2007, 03:32 PM

29 posts, read 114,216 times
Taxes are a bit cheaper in Macomb County than Oakland County.

Stay in Rochester Hills or Shelby Twp. Area they are a bit cleaner areas and better Schools.

Old 06-18-2007, 05:16 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,900,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deb68 View Post
Taxes are a bit cheaper in Macomb County than Oakland County.

Stay in Rochester Hills or Shelby Twp. Area they are a bit cleaner areas and better Schools.
Commuting to anywhere in Oakland County or Wayne County from Shelby is a bad idea. Why anyone moving to the area would choose Macomb over Oakland is beyond me ... Oakland has L Brooks Patterson, and even Eminem won't live in Macomb County anymore!

Old 06-20-2007, 01:43 PM

3 posts, read 7,676 times
rochester / oakland twp is great area w/ paint creek trail for biking/walking plus downtown rochester & orion are nearby for quaint downtown scene - commute to troy is not bad down a side road or !-75 depending on time of departure

Old 12-29-2007, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 52,663 times
Default Franklin MI

I am considering a job in Franklin. My husband and I, empty nesters, currently live in a small MI town near the lake with our two large dogs. We like the small town atmosphere (1 stoplight town with a walkable downtown with shops) but also want access to a health center and shopping within 20 mins. We would be open to spending 250k to 350k to get a 3 bedroom house on at least 1/2 acre lot. We would like a hilly wooded area with a close knit community.I would like my commute to be under 1/2 hour. Can you give me recommendations?

Old 12-29-2007, 11:04 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There is a bit of traffic in the Rochester Hills area at times. it depends on your definition of traffic.

We moved from Orange County two years ago. The only "traffic" that I have here encountered that is worthy of the term in comparison to what we are used to was from Detroit to Rochester Hills during rush hour and when there was a Pistons game. Even then it was more a minor and temporary annoyance than a persistent problem. Traffic is not really traffic unless you are not moving at all at least 30 - 40% of the time. Try spending 1.5-3 hours going 37 miles (OC to LA) on daily basis, then come back and see if you think Rochester has a traffic problem.

Where can you find a shack in OC for $500K? maybe in some gang infested areas or ten feet from a busy train track of freeway, but I doubt it.

However there are some compensating factors, especially for the first five to ten years. Try Christmas on the beach (weird, but really cool at first). Play frisbee on the beach in the morning and go skiing in the mountains in the afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit