Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 03:35 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times

Advertisements

What about Saline just south of Ann Arbor? It's not that far from the airport and you still check out the things that Ann Arbor offers.

Plymouth is another area to look at as well.

Where in NY are you coming from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 07:29 AM

46 posts, read 104,524 times
Ann Arbor is ok .. We just moved from the area due to unemployment.. Ann Arbor revolves around the University and is very busy. It has good areas and bad areas as well as good and bad schools. They are currently laying off around 150 teachers in Ann Arbor. Last I checked Saline is beautiful , I had planned on relocating there for my children and the high school before MI tanked. The schools are first rate and well within your budget I am unsure of the local school funding for Saline this year. You may also want to look closely at the driving distance to your husbands job, depending on where the job is located in Detroit, traffic, and distance the travel time can vary.
Good luck

Old 04-26-2010, 04:46 AM

30 posts, read 54,715 times
I am a teacher, so I am well aware that scores don't necessarily dictate the quality of education. I am looking for a district that can offer my children the opportunity to be well-rounded, with lots of options for different programs, sports, etc. Obviously, strong academics, but not to the point where the kids have no lives. A healthy balance of activities and a low student/teacher ratio is always key! I will check out the above...haven't really looked at Plymouth yet, but definitely want a a town with charm...definitely doesn't sound like Novi. I also definitely don't want my husband's commute to be more than 30 min. He drives about an hour-hour and a half now and it's just too much. I don't want to do that again. We have the opportunity to control all of these variables, I want to get them right this time! Schools, small town feel, less than 30 minutes...can I really have it all??? How far is the commute from Plymouth? I really appreciate your input!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What about Saline just south of Ann Arbor? It's not that far from the airport and you still check out the things that Ann Arbor offers.

Plymouth is another area to look at as well.

Where in NY are you coming from?

We are moving from Port Jefferson, NY.

Is it true that Saline is a very religious area?

Old 04-26-2010, 06:52 AM

90 posts, read 200,152 times
Hi thex,

I also read online that Ann Arbor public schools is laying off 150 teachers. Def. check out their website to see what's going on. I've also been reading proposed budgets & curriculum standards online for a few school systems as there is a chance we might be coming back to CT in a few years (since DH's company is HQ out of NYC). Standards are a little different.

Good luck in your search. I think we have decided to focus our search on Grosse Pointe, but Ann Arbor also sounds like a fabulous community.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:02 PM

90 posts, read 200,152 times
I just caught that you are from Port Jeff! I'm in Fairfield, right across the sound. My godfather lived in Port Jeff so we used ot take the ferry over all the time

This is what I have heard from people who have been in both places (CT and MI), Plymouth is more of a small town atmosphere. If you want something more urban/suburban (more like LI), then I'd go for Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has UM plus I think three other universities, so you'll have access to local theater, sports, a wide variety of people and things to do. Zingerman's Deli is supposed to be amazing! And you aren't that far from Detroit proper. Chicago is four hours away.

If the bulk of my husband's business wasn't north of Detroit, we'd be looking for a house in Ann Arbor. My friend's friend who is moving back to MI is looking in A2. I love living in a university town now (Fairfield U., Sacred Heart Univ.) and will miss that in GP.

Good luck! Keep us posted! My husband goes out June 1st, and we are joining him Aug. 1st. I'm taking a house hunting/school visit trip in early June. Will you be able to go out and drive around before you need to move?

Old 04-28-2010, 06:44 PM

My husband leaves on Sunday, so we should have a better idea about what we are looking for. Funny you used to come to PJ all the time! It's a nice little town. My in-laws are in Tolland, CT, which is right near UCONN! So we are on the ferry, too! Must have crossed paths at some point!

I will be able to take a couple of trips out to visit first, but still trying to workout the logistics of all 3 kids, sports, tantrums with my 22 month old, etc.! It's not easy pawning 3 kids off on anyone! LOL! Anyway, I need to start getting some dates in mind.

Just had my first potential buyers come tonight to look at my house. I just want it to go quickly! So stressful with the thought of hubby leaving me to do it all by myself! We are taking a bath in our house since we purchased in the peak of the market in 2005! UGH! So, hoping to spend less there, but am noticing that the taxes are not much better than what we pay here on LI!!!

I will definitely keep you posted, and you do the same! Can't wait to hear all about GP...it's really stunning!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:10 PM

1,996 posts, read 3,159,074 times
Coldjensens gave you some good advice - the city of Plymouth, though small, has great older housing stock and an adorable downtown area. Plus its within the Plymouth-Canton school district, one of the top 5 in the metro area. I would say the commute would be about 20 minutes. The Township of Plymouth, surrounds the city and is typical surburban sprawl.

Also Dearborn, has some charming neighborhoods, and has two downtown areas, but only some of the schools are real good. The commute to the airport is also pretty good, it's just straight down I-94.

Old 04-30-2010, 12:31 PM

93,234 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywidow View Post
I just caught that you are from Port Jeff! I'm in Fairfield, right across the sound. My godfather lived in Port Jeff so we used ot take the ferry over all the time

This is what I have heard from people who have been in both places (CT and MI), Plymouth is more of a small town atmosphere. If you want something more urban/suburban (more like LI), then I'd go for Ann Arbor. Ann Arbor has UM plus I think three other universities, so you'll have access to local theater, sports, a wide variety of people and things to do. Zingerman's Deli is supposed to be amazing! And you aren't that far from Detroit proper. Chicago is four hours away.

If the bulk of my husband's business wasn't north of Detroit, we'd be looking for a house in Ann Arbor. My friend's friend who is moving back to MI is looking in A2. I love living in a university town now (Fairfield U., Sacred Heart Univ.) and will miss that in GP.

Good luck! Keep us posted! My husband goes out June 1st, and we are joining him Aug. 1st. I'm taking a house hunting/school visit trip in early June. Will you be able to go out and drive around before you need to move?
What about Rochester Hills/Rochester then? It is also very nice and Oakland University is there as well. Some of it is in Auburn Hills as well. Oakland University - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Home - Oakland University

Old 05-01-2010, 02:00 PM

Thank you for all the input! My husband leaves tomorrow and we will hopefully get a better idea of what's out there from his trips around town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit