Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 10:21 AM

491 posts, read 1,115,568 times

Advertisements

U of D may be the best school in the city limits. What would be the competition, Cass Tech? Anyway, in metro Detroit, it would be Country Day and Cranbrook.

You know, if you can drop $100K or more to send your kid to high school.

I think Liggit in Gross Pointe is almost equally as expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 11:06 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,873,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RingWalk View Post
U of D may be the best school in the city limits. What would be the competition, Cass Tech? Anyway, in metro Detroit, it would be Country Day and Cranbrook.

I think Liggit in Gross Pointe is almost equally as expensive.
I saw an ad in the newspaper recently- it was either the GP Academy or Liggett, and not one graduate was accepted into an Ivy League school.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:36 AM

That's funny. I don't even know how you get into those schools. (One of our) valedictorians had like a 4.6 and a 34 on the ACT, applied at every Ivy league school, and didn't get into a single one. Ended up at MI. Of course he was Asian, which didn't help. I guess you seriously would need to, in addition to being a borderline genius, also be class president and a highly ranked golfer or something.

Old 07-09-2011, 01:23 PM

72 posts, read 149,741 times
Quote:

I think Liggit in Gross Pointe is almost equally as expensive.[LEFT]

Renaissance would probably be the closest competition. Someone said Renaissance was the best school in the city. It's not. U of D is. Renaissance may be the best PUBLIC school (that also lets girls in). If you've got kids and you're moving to Detroit to indulge your desire to live in a $300,000.00 house that would cost a million and a half in the suburbs, if you could find a similar house there, you can probably afford a smaller house and U of D or a nicer house in the suburbs and better public schools. Priorities.

I'd love to live in a house like that and could afford it if I was kidless. Kids complicate things. Having young kids and moving to Detroit is not an acceptable move for most families.
[/LEFT]

Old 07-09-2011, 01:29 PM

72 posts, read 149,741 times
Quote:
UD Jesuit is one of the best schools in the state. The connections one makes at that school are absurd. I have many friends who are alums from that school, primarily from Grosse Pointe, and they are all well-connected. Going to UD Jesuit can be your ticket. I'm talking big industry people, real estate, finance, law, politics, and everything in between. It's the old boys club of Detroit and it feeds right into membership at the Detroit Athletic Club. "Come in here, dear boy, have a cigar. You're gonna go far, you're gonna fly high. You're never gonna die. You're going to make it if you try. They're gonna love you." That's UD Jesuit.
Haa haa, yep, that's the place. I believe it's also the alma mater of the murderer that Mayor Bing wanted to install on the Board of Police Commissioners. With U of D connections you can go to prison for murder, get out and they make you Police Commissioner! Can you imagine?

Old 07-09-2011, 06:06 PM

Yep that is one of the huge things holding Chicago back as well, the schools suck ass. If they could fix that, a LOT of people that move out would stay and raise their kids here. Who wants to live in the suburbs? Maybe Rahm will fix it.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:07 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,373,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
I saw an ad in the newspaper recently- it was either the GP Academy or Liggett, and not one graduate was accepted into an Ivy League school.
Well Grosse Pointe Academy doesn't have an Upper School. And Liggett historically sends 1/4 to 1/3 to University of Michigan. The *** laude (honor society) usually sends 5-10 kids to Ivies. The senior class is usually only 60 kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit