Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2007, 06:15 PM

937 posts, read 2,834,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
RWF. Did you really post this? If so, what do you mean by "But... we don't want them next door to us." You're kidding, right? This is taken out of context, right?

If being a racist means that I'm more comfortable around my own kind, then we need a new definition of racist. The word has lost it's sting. I'm a white person with freckles. I've lived around the burbs of LA back in the 70's. My best friend was black and I met him before I can remember. I was 1ish. I was WAY too young to be affected by prejudgice. It's my experience that racism or whatever you want to call it- is learned. Gary and I were best friends; but I've got to admit, as we grew older, we both started to learn our "differences". Now, they lived two doors down from us. If anything, we lowered their property value and their presence increased ours. That's a fact.

What do you mean about bringing down your property value? If you're saying this as a statistical fact, then back it up right now! Show me proof. If you are saying this out of ignorance, then shame on you. That's a hurtful statement and I can see how others on here got upset. They are calling you a racist. I think that's wrong in itself. Aren't we supposed to refrain from personal attacks on here?

Some people moved next door to us where we live now. I guess you could say they are black. You could even say they are African American. I don't know for sure. They sound American. They don't sound Jamaican. It doesn't really matter to me. They have one of the nicest homes on our block. They fenced in their whole property, that's about 1.2 acre with PVC fence. It's very classy. It must have cost a fortune. Their home is way bigger than ours. Oh, but our property value is going down because they are black? Racist or not, how is that statement not offensive to every race?

Well, sad but true, property values do go down in some areas of the Suburbs if blacks move in because of the whole white flight thing. They dont want to buy a house if blacks are in the area so they keep moving north. Blame who you want, but its equally faulted to whites, blacks and realtors.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:03 PM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Wow. It's a whole different world here out west. I didn't even think of that. So the poster's statements were not necessarily racist at all. Well some on this thread were upset with her about something and I couldn't find out what it was if it wasn't that.

Well, Detroit is still the United States of America! That should count for something. God Bless those people as I know that there are factories lining border towns in Mexico that have thousands of kids working for 40 to 80 bucks a week building sub assemblies for the cars that we all drive. This has to be one huge factor in the decline of that area. These jobs used to belong to us.

Is there a presidential candidate that can guarantee that they won't sell us out to the lowest bidder? I'll vote for that person.

My point, I don't care if you're 8 miles, 16 miles, 1600 miles away. You can't get away from the mess that this global economy is leaving behind. Go to Mexico, China, Taiwan, etc, and see what I mean. They got all our jobs and they still want to come here and take our American money. What is my $3.17/gallon buying me that my $2.06/gal didn't buy me? More freedom? More security? If things keep going like they are or get worse, I want to be off this planet for a while.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:18 PM

106 posts, read 414,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtsBees View Post
Well, sad but true, property values do go down in some areas of the Suburbs if blacks move in because of the whole white flight thing.
Yeah, this is absolutely true. If whites are 75% of the population and the majority of them won't move into a neighborhood with a significant black population, then the demand for houses in that neighborhood will of course take a dramatic hit. I think everyone knows the link between supply and demand and prices.

I live in a nice neighborhood in Farmington Hills that is undergoing white flight and has been for some time. When the neighborhood was built in the early 1980s, it was probably 100% white, or nearly so. (Even Southfield to the east was overwhelmingly white at that time.) Now, my neighborhood is probably 60-70% black and probably 80% of the people who move into the neighborhood are black. So over time the percentage of whites keeps shrinking. If you take whites off the market for houses in this subdivision, you must conclude that this will affect property values.

Old 07-10-2007, 12:45 PM

5 posts, read 13,727 times
Thumbs up I live at 9 mile and Gratiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
I have recently seen some posts where the poster advises people that are moving here to stay north of 16 mile because anything south is too close to Detroit, and therefore already crime-ridden, or on the verge of being so.

I live in Royal Oak, and find this opinion to be silly. I am starting this thread to see if this is indeed the general consensus, or instead a minority opinion. If you share the "stay above 16 Mile" opinion, I would be curious as to what personal experience has led you to that conclusion.

Discuss!
I live very close to Detroit and disagree... I feel very safe here.. Its usually those who base their opinion on what they hear... If you look for the bad you will find it!!

Rev. Sheila

Old 07-10-2007, 05:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,297 times
Default In Response

Yes, I'll admit, I was one of those families that moved out of Detroit into the suburbs. Yes, I'll admit, it was because we were becoming the minority on out street. We really had no choice, as it was either live in safety or live in danger. I still love coming back into the city, as I see that it is undergoing a slow, but positive restructuring. Downtown is safer than ever. People my age (18-30) are moving back into the city. I personally think that it would be a cool place to live right now. The whole "If you move to Metro Detroit, stay north of 16 Mile" is absolute bull. And I saw that the person who posted in favor of that philosophy said that he didn't want a black family moving next door to him because their presence puts him in fear needs to realize that if he keeps running away he'll run out of places to run. Welcome diversity instead of putting Metro Detroit into an "Apartheid" state. And don't let your neighborhood get runned down, get involved with it, and do something for it.

Old 07-11-2007, 10:35 AM

18,015 posts, read 27,463,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwatts1522 View Post
And I saw that the person who posted in favor of that philosophy said that he didn't want a black family moving next door to him because their presence puts him in fear needs to realize
I didn't see that post, or it didn't catch my eye. The one that did was very similiar in that they posted that they didn't want a black family moving next door or even on the same block because they didn't want their home to depreciate. That's what caught my eye. I'm still astounded that in this day and age, with the EOE, I just googled this one-National Fair Housing Alliance, etc., that this could be the case. I guess it is what it is.

I think that if you fix your own house up inside and out, that's about all you can do. If your neighbor gets angry with you for fixing your house up so nice and decides to paint his house too, then you got something. Next thing you know it, the whole neighborhood is cleaned up. The property value for that neighborhood should then go up. If that don't work, then what do you do? Move some white people in? That just "sounds" rediculous.

Old 07-11-2007, 01:22 PM

34 posts, read 141,743 times
I am new to this site, but not to the city. And by city, I mean Detroit. Anyone from this area knows what one is talking about when you say went to the city. I am 32, white, and female. I have 5 children with my husband. We live in Warren in a beautiful 2500 sf home with 3 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms, and 2 kitchens. Our gardens are immaculate. We have a large yard, almost a full half acre, that our kids run and play in.
We can live north of 16 and pay close to $500,000 for the same house that we pay $105,000 for but we choose not too. We choose to have a home that we can easily afford, have a savings that has been built up to two years of living expenses in case of emergency, be able to provide all of our children with college savings, enroll them in whatever sport or activity they want, and still have money left over for vacations. All with NO CREDIT CARD DEBT. How many north of 16 can honestly say they do not live with credit card debt.
The schools here are Blue Ribbon Schools. The meap scores were on average, higher than Troy and Rochester Hills.
We take our family to Detroit several times a month. We go to Greektown, Campus Martius, River Walk, and any other festival we can. We drive up Jefferson and go to Belle Isle and get out to let the kids play. We go to the real Mexican Village, not the one right off the freeway but the restaurants that serve more authentic mexican food.
Last time I checked, the racial make up of Warren is still heavily favored in the white race.
City of Warren (http://cityofwarren.org/default.asp?area_2=comm/census.dat&area_7=nav/comm.dat&area_5=home/right.dat&objectid=C1D5BC0&ml_index=4&NC=5029X - broken link)

I belonged to a mothers group that met weekly. The moms that were from Pleasant Ridge, Troy, and Sterling Heights, all had sticks up their asses. When it came to topics about finding great deals at stores - they wanted out of the loop. No sales needed, I can afford full price was one actual comment.
I have always had wonderful experiences in Detroit and we will continue to take our kids there to learn about diversity in every form.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:02 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
I am new to this site, but not to the city. And by city, I mean Detroit. Anyone from this area knows what one is talking about when you say went to the city. I am 32, white, and female. I have 5 children with my husband. We live in Warren in a beautiful 2500 sf home with 3 bathrooms, 5 bedrooms, and 2 kitchens. Our gardens are immaculate. We have a large yard, almost a full half acre, that our kids run and play in.
We can live north of 16 and pay close to $500,000 for the same house that we pay $105,000 for but we choose not too. We choose to have a home that we can easily afford, have a savings that has been built up to two years of living expenses in case of emergency, be able to provide all of our children with college savings, enroll them in whatever sport or activity they want, and still have money left over for vacations. All with NO CREDIT CARD DEBT. How many north of 16 can honestly say they do not live with credit card debt.
The schools here are Blue Ribbon Schools. The meap scores were on average, higher than Troy and Rochester Hills.
We take our family to Detroit several times a month. We go to Greektown, Campus Martius, River Walk, and any other festival we can. We drive up Jefferson and go to Belle Isle and get out to let the kids play. We go to the real Mexican Village, not the one right off the freeway but the restaurants that serve more authentic mexican food.
Last time I checked, the racial make up of Warren is still heavily favored in the white race.
City of Warren (http://cityofwarren.org/default.asp?area_2=comm/census.dat&area_7=nav/comm.dat&area_5=home/right.dat&objectid=C1D5BC0&ml_index=4&NC=5029X - broken link)

I belonged to a mothers group that met weekly. The moms that were from Pleasant Ridge, Troy, and Sterling Heights, all had sticks up their asses. When it came to topics about finding great deals at stores - they wanted out of the loop. No sales needed, I can afford full price was one actual comment.
I have always had wonderful experiences in Detroit and we will continue to take our kids there to learn about diversity in every form.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elmoslg again. Dang it!

You last 3 posters are what we need more of! I myself just moved to the Metro about 1 year ago from southern California. We love it here! And guess what? We are also white, and feel safe here! We go to Detroit!

Welcome to the forums, everyone!!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:14 PM

34 posts, read 141,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffncandace View Post
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to elmoslg again. Dang it!

You last 3 posters are what we need more of! I myself just moved to the Metro about 1 year ago from southern California. We love it here! And guess what? We are also white, and feel safe here! We go to Detroit!

Welcome to the forums, everyone!!
i am new so forgive my ignorance, what is spreading Reputation?

Old 07-11-2007, 03:27 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elmoslg View Post
i am new so forgive my ignorance, what is spreading Reputation?
That little scale of justice in the upper right hand corner of each post. You can click on it and give rep points to someone you agree with, and leave a comment they can see in their control panel. You should be able to go see mine!

Remember to type in your name if you want them to see who gave them points, otherwise it is anonymous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit