Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:26 PM

20,951 posts, read 19,384,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Golden rule of argument. When the other person resorts to insults, they have realized that they are wrong and hav enothing meanigful to say.
That's true! lol. My original comments spoke for themselves I thought, so yeah, I really didn't have anything meaningful to add.

Last edited by Retroit; 03-04-2011 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting discussion tactic. Make things up and then when you get called on it - chang ethe subject and pretend that you did nto state unsupportable facts. You must be a politician.
Yeah, I run countries in my spare time.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
AH HAA. I understand this demonstrates why New York failed to grow. Or Hongkong, or San Diego. Detroit was certinaly stunted in its growth. THa tis why it became the 4th largest city in the US. Sorry the argument just does not make sense. Calculus does not govern the growth of a City. In fact many Cities, possibly most, grow lopsided, not equally.
Most American cities have grown outward at about the same rate as Detroit. Like Detroit, other cities like Chicago, San Diego, Los Angeles, New York (to some extent), Miami, Cleveland, etc. grow in a lopsided fashion, so it is only to be expected that they will grow more in one direction (or some other fraction of a circle). A half circle with a radius of 23 miles contains the same area as a circle with a radius of 16 miles.

Old 03-04-2011, 07:43 PM

No. you actually said that libraires are a thing of the past and are dying out.

And I stand by that comment. Many libraries in Detroit have closed. Troy's has or will. Other cities are being pressed for funding and are reducing staff or hours. I know it's been discussed at council meetings in my city. Also many bookstores have or will close. Border is closing I think 4 stores in metro Detroit.

Last edited by Retroit; 03-04-2011 at 07:54 PM..

Old 03-04-2011, 07:51 PM

It is my understanding that the arriff approach was dumped because it ws not working. It just created tarriff wars and inflation. But I am no economist. I do not find that kind of thing very interesting.

That's fine, but I actually do find it interesting and, no, it was not dumped because it created tariff wars and inflation. It was dumped because it was believed that by allowing other countries to dump their goods here, they would allow us to dump our goods there. And that did in fact work out pretty good for us for awhile. Then foreign countries surpassed us in their ability to outdump us and it came back to bite us in the butt.

But unfortunately, because not enough people in this country find economic history very interesting, we have become disillusioned into thinking we must accept status quo (like my Latin? ) and not dare change our approach when things are not working out to our benefit. We as a country, have relinquished our sovereignty, in favor of failed economic ideologies.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:04 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,066,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davante View Post
Detroit Michigan has its share of problems. I do believe that Detroit can straighten up. Detroit may be predominantly black, but look at other northern cities. Chicago is bad, but can do better. Philadelphia is bad, but it has its own share of problems. So yes, yes, and again, yes, Detroit can improve. I have much faith in Detroit. (Detroit-*2004)
Many of us have kept the faith for the last 40 years...play the same lotto numbers long enough and eventually you win...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit