Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 01:44 AM

14 posts, read 39,915 times

Advertisements

Can you please comment on the circled area in terms of:
- safety
- elementary schools in the neighborhood
- commute to pontiac
- commute to detroit

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Sterling Heights (Dequindre and 16 mile)-sterling-heights-2.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 05:52 AM

339 posts, read 975,649 times
There are two schools districts in SH. I don't remember how they divide exacly but usually north of 16 mile is Utica Community Schools and south of 16 mile is Warren Consolidated. If you are looking at SH make sure you are in Utica Schools, its better and the taxes are lower. If you are working in Pontiac the farther north you are in SH the better, just jump on M-59 west. Now commuting to Detroit is going to be a pain. There are no easy expressways to get you there, just drive south and try avoiding rush hour.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,674 times
Sterling Heights has been in the news not even 24 hours apart for its crime stories. 4 (yes the homeowner had 4) Pitbulls attacked a man over by 16 and Mound while he was riding his bike. The dogs were unlicensed.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:46 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,641 times
Well, the houses in that area are pretty nice, and I believe it's Warren Consolidated schools, which aren't awful, but aren't great either. However, Sterling Heights has been getting pretty iffy lately. It's starting to see violent crime and even some blight along the Mound Corridor.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 PM

14 posts, read 39,915 times
Sorry, can you tell me what the mount corridor is?

Old 06-04-2010, 04:06 AM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Western Sterling Heights is by and large an okay place but it's not to everyone's liking. It is very diverse ethnically, more so than many would like. The strip malls on Ryan, Dequindre, and Mound (and going west into Troy) have something for nearly everyone, culturally speaking. There are many middle easterners, eastern Europeans, Asians, and Indians, among others. The Utica schools (north of 17 Mile in that part of town) are superior. Warren Con is at least average, but certain ethnic groups probably drive up the test scores somewhat. That area is zoned for Sterling Heights High, which has been known for ethnic problems for the last twenty years or so. It's probably okay crime-wise, though the old Meijer had a lot of problems (don't know how safe the Lowe's and Target are that replaced it).

The "Mound Corridor" is just what they call Mound Road sometimes. It's two miles east of Dequindre. Mound is mostly industrial. Van Dyke (another mile east) is the one that feels seedy now in spots. The Super Wal*Mart and Meijer on Van Dyke bring in lots of outsiders from South Warren and Detroit.

Old 06-04-2010, 06:14 AM

339 posts, read 975,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by us66 View Post
The "Mound Corridor" is just what they call Mound Road sometimes. It's two miles east of Dequindre. Mound is mostly industrial. Van Dyke (another mile east) is the one that feels seedy now in spots. The Super Wal*Mart and Meijer on Van Dyke bring in lots of outsiders from South Warren and Detroit.

Mound is not that bad. But Van Dyke is just yuck. I hate that they put that Walmart there. It used to be 3 miles south in Warren and they moved it to SH. I wish it had stayed in Warren!!

Old 06-04-2010, 04:41 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
That may be a recent build Wal*Mart, but it's already run down. The store is also run as though they assume you shoplift, which is why I stopped going to that one. The outdoor security is no less pervasive. The Roseville one is much the same but I've actually heard stories of crime inside the store. I kinda feel sorry for the city of Warren on this one; Evil*Mart totally used them...good riddance to that location, too. Nothing but bad memories of my once-frequent trips there.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:02 PM

970 posts, read 2,967,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Mound is not that bad. But Van Dyke is just yuck. I hate that they put that Walmart there. It used to be 3 miles south in Warren and they moved it to SH. I wish it had stayed in Warren!!
There's boarded up apartments on Mound (I think, but I haven't been out that way in FOREVER!). I remember it being Mound, but I know it's Sterling Heights.

Old 06-05-2010, 02:13 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,070,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIEng View Post
Mound is the new home for the wellfare office up by 18 mile road. Parts of Ryan are little sketchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit