Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2010, 12:07 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliemae20 View Post
I have Black flies in my house downriver Allen Park, Micihigan, How do they get in all over windows Help Please
Our chicken lays very small eggs, but they are unusually tasty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2010, 01:13 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Well, Since We're Talking About Selling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
This is a typically boring and pointless reply on the subject. I specifically articulated a number of things that many Blacks do that is offensive to most white people and despite your long winded response, the only point you managed is that not all Blacks do the tings I mentioned and that you get along fine with your white neighbors.

Saying "not all of them or us" has to be the most over used cliché in modern times. Of course not all Blacks are annoying and offensive and of course there are many that are fine upstanding individuals. That doesn't change the fact that if one lives in a black neighborhood, they are going to experience a great deal of the annoyances I mentioned. Sure, mixed in with the ultra annoying hip hop kids and all the other morally bankrupt animals are good people as well. Nobody ever said otherwise.

Why don't you put your silly little straw man to bed and ask your self what you can do to help change the negative image that so many Blacks have worked so hard to deserve. After all, based on your own words, you moved to a mostly white neighborhood because you yourself obviously prefer living there and are willing to pay for the privilege. In other words, although you take the opposite view toward what I am saying, your actions indicate that your true beliefs are no different from mine and you just don't want to admit it.

I don't do white guilt. And I don't buy that "painting with a broad brush" or racist views BS. The vast majority, and yes it is the vast majority, don't want to live in predominantly black neighborhoods for the reasons I mentioned and evidently neither do you. Sell that white guilt crap to someone who will buy it.
You can sell that tough-guy attitude to someone who will buy it too...apparently, you are still living under the illusion that because YOU say something, it's the gospel truth...well, it ain't...

And confidentially, I AM doing something to change that negative image you love to harp on so much---it's called getting my black a** out of bed every morning, going to work, being a good husband and son-in-law, and generally acting like I was instilled with good manners and home training...being a good neighbor to all around me...supporting my wife as she goes back to school to add to her skill-set...

You can huff and puff like the big bad wolf, and call my opinions and arguments 'straw men' til cows play beach volleyball, but the fact remains---I am black, will be black til the day I die, and I am a living breathing argument in FAVOR of not acting like some stereotypical do-rag wearing, loud-mouthed, knuckle-dragging, waste of flesh and organs---y'know, the kind of people that that alleged 'vast majority' you trumpet about doesn't want breathing their air...

And another thing...if my travels DO take me back to a predominately black neighborhood, I won't sit in a dark corner, sucking my thumb and wailing 'there goes the neighborhood!'...instead, I'll be the one who wants to be a positive example to look up to---the guy who keeps his lawn mowed, his driveway shoveled, his house painted and landscaped, who speaks to his neighbors no matter what end of the social spectrum they fall on, and tries to show them that, just because society loves to LABEL you as a 2nd class citizen, doesn't give you license to LIVE or ACT like one...keep your head up, your back straight, look people in the eye when they talk to you, speak English and not Ebonics, and generally be someone people WANT to be around, not the polar opposite...

And for the record, yes, people are painted with a broad brush, and some espouse some blatanly racist views...happens every day, and not just with blacks either...entire races and genders endlessly stereotyped because of either the actions of a few, or the unwillingness of others to put down the 'brush' and actually interact with them...this 'white guilt' you beat your chest about 'not buying'? I think it's a crock, and I say again, I'm not trying to make whites or anyone else assume responsibility for events that happened years ago, or stuff that I did that had a negative impact on me...that stuff is on ME, not 'Mr Charlie' (another, as you so delicately put it, 'overused cliche', used by blacks to label whites), and if some whites choose to feel guilty, so be it, but I for one am not asking them to...sorry if this seems like another (your words) 'boring and pointless' reply, but I am thankful that you are not the final judge and jury as to what comes from my mouth, or my keyboard, and I'll continue to 'articulate' on the subject as long as I have brain cells, an opinion, and means to express myself or, barring that, as long as I dadgum well please, thank you very much

Old 07-06-2010, 01:35 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
And another thing...if my travels DO take me back to a predominately black neighborhood, I won't sit in a dark corner, sucking my thumb and wailing 'there goes the neighborhood!'...instead, I'll be the one who wants to be a positive example to look up to---the guy who keeps his lawn mowed, his driveway shoveled, his house painted and landscaped, who speaks to his neighbors no matter what end of the social spectrum they fall on, and tries to show them that, just because society loves to LABEL you as a 2nd class citizen, doesn't give you license to LIVE or ACT like one...keep your head up, your back straight, look people in the eye when they talk to you, speak English and not Ebonics, and generally be someone people WANT to be around, not the polar opposite...
Fortunately, for you and those around you, you would be a wonderful example. For a white person, they would get lambasted in more ways than one. Just the way it is, whether we like it or not. A white guy in a predominantly black neighborhood, at least in MI, would not stand a chance or even an opportunity to show a good example.

Old 07-06-2010, 01:43 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,678 times
Lightbulb Kimba---Thanks For Your Thoughts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
Fortunately, for you and those around you, you would be a wonderful example. For a white person, they would get lambasted in more ways than one. Just the way it is, whether we like it or not. A white guy in a predominantly black neighborhood, at least in MI, would not stand a chance or even an opportunity to show a good example.
But is what you say really that much of the truth? Would a white person, who acted exactly as I described, living in a predominately black 'hood, be subject to that much ridicule in this day and age, even in MI?

I really hope that the 'brush' hasn't treated whites that same way...I'm willing to give EVERYONE, race notwithstanding, the benefit of the doubt...

Old 07-06-2010, 07:47 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,946,467 times
Well, I would be afraid to try. Maybe that is where the problem lies. Who can afford to put their lives, their home, their families safety on the line to find out? Maybe one day it will be that way.

Here is Las Vegas, I see much less of a racial barrier. It is refreshing. I wish MI would catch up.

Old 07-07-2010, 01:41 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,402,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanJoe2 View Post
We recently drove through parts of Detroit on our way to visit a nephew who now works in Dearborn. It was shocking, and "Escape From New York" was brought up as we sped past the decay and desolation.

I never expected to see anything like that in this country: blocks of boarded up houses, abandoned factories and commercial buildings. It was so bizarre I could imagine tourist buses crunching through broken glass to allow people to see the ruins of Detroit.
There is a hint of this now in parts of California. There are many deniers who refuse to see it.

It is like cancer.

Old 07-07-2010, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,869 times
Like all of nature, the unstopable forces of time will win out. Someone of my decent will walk through a field of grass that what was once 14/schoenherr where i grew up in a 1/2 biased family. We are all grains of sand in this universe of ours and in just a slight 30-40 years almost all of the people posting will be but a memory in their families memories. life is short have fun, love as much as you can, try to treat those like you might be, and hope and prey for us all. There is no right way, just the way, we can maybe make some small contribution, but Einstine, washington, King Jr., bobby, Jack, and even the easter bunny are all long gone. Live for today, move if you must, but to what? i live in a almost all white suburb, whose local newspaper list all the "police beat" activity every week. Dont be fooled.............ROCK-ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 07-24-2010, 05:56 AM

82 posts, read 346,054 times
Hehehe sounds like ole "catfish" is laid up real nice. Escaped the ghetto & ended up in a civilized middle class neighborhood. I can't blame him for choosing an 80% white neighborhood, after all we know what the 80% black areas are like.

Man indicted in murder of 73-year-old woman

Yeah catfish, it's easy to tell someone "it's not that bad" in black communities like Detroit. Real easy from where you sit. I bet when you do "go back and offer a positive example", it's between 10-11 am on a Tuesday, right? hahaha

Old 10-24-2012, 02:13 PM

6 posts, read 8,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edub View Post
Please cut the BS.

The first city to experience white flight was Oak Park which is now quite dangerous. And if you think Southfield hasn't seen increases in crime you must be living on Mars.

Look, the fact of the matter, like it or not is that the perception many people have toward Blacks is based on a well deserved reputation. You can try to paint it as "racism" all you want but the facts don't lie.

The fact is that crime, violence and other social decay is far higher in black neighborhoods. Add to that loud, boisterous behavior, rude conduct and a host of other annoyances and you have a situation that is unpleasant to most Whites. You may also be interested to know that spouses of black men are 7 times (700%) more likely to be victims of domestic abuse than spouses of Whites. So, not wanting your daughter to date a black guy is another case in which there is ample justification. Not to say it should never be allowed.

You can cry racism all you want but the facts are the facts. Not being racist doesn't mean people must close their eyes to the obvious and blindly accept abhorrent conduct.

I am one person who would not want to live in a black neighborhood. I'm not saying there are not a lot of great people in these neighborhoods or that these areas are unlivable, just that the down side is too large. Crime aside, I can not stand the hip hop, ghetto culture. I hate the ridiculous looking cars with rims as tall as I am and bass that is sure to annoy everyone within a 1 mile radius. I hate the super loud, annoying hip hop ring tones that are always left ringing as long as possible. I hate the clown costumes so many of the kids wear with their pants at their knees. I hate listening to ay,ay ay and other boisterous ghetto slang always shouted at the top of the lungs so as to disturb everyone around.

Blacks that conduct themselves like normal, respectful, polite human beings I have no problem with. But, unfortunately even in the best black neighborhoods a lot of the aforementioned will be found and the less I see of it the better. I don't think it is racist to choose to live among as many decent people as possible.
Well Said, son, Well Said.

Old 10-24-2012, 03:27 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
This is one of those situations where you have to be a sheep in wolves clothing, you have to come and go like a loser, drive a junky car, keep your self unkept, but clean. Its really the only way to avoid being a victim to savages. In order for savages to leave you alone, you have to blend in with the savages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit