Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 11:29 AM

7 posts, read 22,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmax View Post
Basically, right now, Detroit is the homeless shelter of the Free World.
Yeah, that's not true.

bonezip, the entire city is not just one slum, but it has issues. Issues that would prevent me from suggesting someone who doesn't live here to just jump up and buy a house in say, Highland Park, without prior knowledge of the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2010, 05:35 PM

19 posts, read 27,807 times
Hell with the Highland park, I saw video in youtube and it's really bulldozed, and that mentioned library has abandoned...
but damn, Detroit have cheapest real estate on whole country, why just don't try to buy a house in some more live places? maybe 'white' hoods which not so dangerous? I think that city can't be in decline always, it can't just die.

Last edited by bonezip; 06-09-2010 at 05:51 PM..

Old 06-10-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonezip View Post
maybe 'white' hoods which not so dangerous?
Well, I'm not sure about other cities, I guess there aren't any dangerous 'white' hoods, huh?

But I guess that statement wouldn't apply since Detroit really any of those safe 'white' hoods to speak of, being that metro Detroit is a city with mostly African-American residents, over 80%. Most of the neighborhoods I'm familiar with only have African-Americans living there.

Being that I'm African-American, that particular statistic isn't a bother to me though suppose outside of that fact I would love more diversity.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:42 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
Most of the neighborhoods I'm familiar with only have African-Americans living there.
I'm sure that there aren't entirely black neighborhoods. There has to be at least 2-3 white families living in those neighborhoods.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
I'm sure that there aren't entirely black neighborhoods. There has to be at least 2-3 white families living in those neighborhoods.
Remisc how long you live in Detroit? and if you'll happened at once to move in the city with family, which relatively safe hood you would choose then?

Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remisc View Post
Seriously, I'm not exaggerating about the neighborhoods on the West/Northwest side of Detroit. Now the Eastside of Detroit I believe might have a bit more diversity, but I'm not as familiar with that part of town.

Old 06-11-2010, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
Seriously, I'm not exaggerating about the neighborhoods on the West/Northwest side of Detroit. Now the Eastside of Detroit I believe might have a bit more diversity, but I'm not as familiar with that part of town.
diversity? I just now checked zip codes of Bloomfield, Birmingham Ferndal 80-90% of whites living there, it's look like blacks living only in black line whites only in white. I feel the smell of racism.

Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 PM

530 posts, read 1,551,227 times
bonezip,

"I feel the smell of racism."

So are you going to stay away from Metro Detroit??

Where do you hail from??

Old 06-12-2010, 08:29 AM

970 posts, read 2,968,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonezip View Post
Remisc how long you live in Detroit? and if you'll happened at once to move in the city with family, which relatively safe hood you would choose then?
I no longer live in Detroit, but I used to. If you want to live in Detroit itself, look the Indian Village and Palmer Woods neighborhoods. If you want to live near Detroit, but not inside the city itself, look for suburbs like Hazel Park, Harper Woods, Warren, or any other inner-ring suburb.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:03 AM

4 posts, read 7,936 times
Hi, guys. My name is Dominick Luther Williams an educator in the state of Louisiana. I have a B.A. in Psychology/Sociology and a Masters in Education Administration and Supervision. Last November, I purchased a home on West Greendale Street in Highland Park, MI and is anticipating relocating there June 15,2010. Several blogs, youtube, and other internet sources really reflect on MI economic barriers, blight, social and cultural disapation in the city of Detroit and Highland Park. Reared in a rural neighborhood with the population being 97% Anglo-Saxon, can be disheartining and depressing facing many racial barriers and opposition as an African American. For the past 12 years I have resided in the city of New Orleans, which CNN stated to have the highest crime rate in the world, but I beg to differ. Upon visiting highland park, MI it was a beautiful neighborhood, not many blotted properties in the area. The same home I purchased in Highland Park, MI very well may go for over $500,0000.00 immulating the same type of neighborhood, including blot. I am 32 years old with three kids and a wife. I am looking forward to re-locating and contributing as an advocate for community reform. My intention is not to look for work, but if applicable I will take upon the challenge. My major source of income will be investments that I own in other states. Afraid of dying is not my greatest fear, but afraid of living and doing nothing to help a beautiful city with such a large population of African Americans. I am looking forward to building a team of grassroot motivated young individuals in building community efforts with present resources Detroit and the surrrounding area presently have. Anyone instrested or any ideas fill free to contact on my mobile at 504-208-8847 or dominickd@aol.com. Please hold the negative comments and concerns, I am only intrested in solutions to transforming Detroit, MI.

Thanks,

Dominick Luther Williams M.Ed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit