Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2010, 04:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,697,478 times

Advertisements

Hi. In 2007 my a1c was 6.0 so a doctor i was seeing but me on a low dose of Metformin 500 mg per day. my a1c in 2008 went down to 5.6, then rose up a bit to 5.9 at the end of '08 but my doctor took me off it

in the fall of 09 i started an exercise program and stuck faithfully to it tho i didn't lose any weight.
at the end of 09 a1c rose to 6.3 so i went back on metformin this time 1000 mg per day. i also was taking paxil 25 mg but tapered off it because my doctor told me the Paxil may have caused weight gain so i could lose weight if i went off it. so i went off it

then i got called to jury duty and had to spend 2 weeks disrupted from my schedule. i took public transit and ate larger breakfasts to tie me over until 1PM for lunch. I was too tired to go to the gym despite the fact that the bus dropped me off right by the gym

after jury service was done i had to catch up on my work missed from jury service. i worked 6 days a week for 2 months and again just felt too tired to go to the gym

after an 82 year old retired co-worker who had come to visit us commented to me about how much weight i gained(this guy is like a father/uncle to me and i respect his opinion), i ran to the doctor. my a1c went up to 6.7, my triglycerides went to 390 from 170, my liver enzymes doubled (I have these things taken care of by a doctor BTW) and i was noted to have a vitamin D deficiency

my doctor added amaryl to the metformin regimen and my last glucose reading was 75(before amaryl it was 129) and i am getting normal fingerstick readings(say mid 80's to hi 90's) when i come home from work

however, i notice i am thirsty often (but it could be due to the water pill i am taking for my bp) and my right foot seems numb (tho it could be due to the heavy varicose veins in my right leg) and there is an odd cold sensation in both feet that comes and goes, something i had noticed 5 years ago before the glucose even became an issue

also i notice i am even hungrier despite the metf and amaryl medications which are supposed to supress the appetite, and sometimes i feel weak before a meal, but not always

today i had my eyes checked and the doctor told me there's no sign of diabetes in the eyes and i just needed stronger lenses as it's been 4 years

my bp has been stable and was 120/70 due to the water pills and Diovan

I have never had any dangerously elevated readings on my home glucometer, worst case was before the amaryl my readings were maybe 10 points higher than before (like instead of 90 normally before dinner it was 100)

so i guess what i am trying to ask is can one still suffer damage to nerves eyes etc even if your readings are decent and controlled by medication? i know i have some protein in the urine but it's being controlled by the diovan

in other words, can one develop complications even if you are under good control?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2010, 05:07 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,756 times
You can get thirsty or hungry, if your blood glucose is too high. Read more: Amaryl Information from Drugs.com

Go to this site and ask your questions. You will get answers to your concerns.
DiabetesDiscussions

Just curious, why do you think you are pre-diabetic? Based on your earlier post and this one, you are diabetic. Have you seen an endo doctor?

Old 07-04-2010, 05:53 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,336,651 times
Sounds like diabetes is in your future and what you are getting now is the early warning signs, your only option to postpone the inevitable is to strictly adhere to a healthy diet and make sure you are at the right weight for your size..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:32 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,790,095 times
I am surprised your doctor chose to prescribe you medicine first before giving you a chance to change your living habits. I guess they are all different.

In December of 2009 my A1C was 6.1. With a glucose tolerance reading of 247 my doctor's diagnosis was diabetes. Instead of prescribing me medicine he decided to allow me to change my lifestyle which, at the time, was devoted to consuming large amounts of carbohydrates. He enrolled me in a diabetes management class ... this helped immensely because a dietician set goals for carbohydrates, fats, and proteins and the nurse taught everything about managing the disease. A food journal helps. I increased my activity level by jogging, riding bikes, and yard work.

Since December, I have lost 58 pounds by eating a carbohydrate restricted diet (180 g per day) with an ultimate goal of losing 20 more pounds. That will get me to 180 pounds. My jogging distance is up to a mile and a quarter (I couldn't even run an 8th of a mile at the beginning).

My most recent A1C dropped to 5.3. My blood sugar readings are all normal, and I feel great. All of this done without medicine.

There's no secret to it, whether or not you are taking medicine you have to live by healthy habits. If you let yourself go this disease will hit you like a tsunami. It takes hard work, discipline, and moderation to live with diabetes.

Good luck.

Old 07-12-2010, 12:24 PM

7,143 posts, read 12,678,151 times
Simple carbs--the white kind found in white flour (white bread, biscuits, hamburger buns, cakes, cookies, pizza crusts, pretzels) and potatoes

and

refined sugar (and high fructose corn syrup)--common delivery systems are soft drinks, sports drinks candy and some fruit drinks--are the two main food culprits that lead to diabetes. Sugar destroys the adrenals...our bodies aren't designed to handle the 120 pounds of sugar Americans eat (on average) each year.

How much/many of each are you eating??

Avoid them and it's possible to avoid diabetes.

Read Taube's book: Good Calories. Bad Calories. http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/bo.../Kolata-t.html

If you've got a big sweet tooth and are eating like a Pillsbury Doughboy, then maybe you can switch up your diet.

Are you willing to try?

Old 07-14-2010, 04:11 PM

Default i am not a dessert eater

nor a machine food eater, i don't drink or smoke. my "sweet cravings" are not for cakes or cookies but for watermelon, fruits, too many fruit juices(tho i studiously avoid the hi fructose corn syrup)

i cut out home fries as i usually go out for breakfast once or twice a week on my off days. no more home fries, i am sure those were doing it. love white potatoes

i eat too many eggs because my cholesterol(good total, hdl and ldl) is low but my triglcerides are high. i find eggs are the only thing that sustains me, if i have oatmeal i will be hungry in no time and have headaches and feel cranky

i know, i have to see a nutritionist, i'm a mess

Old 07-16-2010, 01:19 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
I would take out the fruit juice--it's a blood sugar nightmare. Sorry, I know you probably love it but I had a friend who made iced tea and just added a bit of fruit juice for flavor. You never did say how your wt is but I'm guessing you're overweight?

Old 07-16-2010, 01:22 PM

Default i can't tell

you my weight, i just can't. 'nuff said

but thanks for the concern and input tho

Old 07-16-2010, 01:24 PM

Default best thing i

can tell you is that my glucose was just now 75 thanks to amaryl and metformin and i have eliminated home fries from my breakfast which i have had once or twice a week

this past week i have felt a little thinner and have felt better, hope it continues tho

Old 07-16-2010, 10:54 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,807,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
you my weight, i just can't. 'nuff said

but thanks for the concern and input tho
Well I didn't ask you what you weigh, but you're right, nuff said. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes