Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times

Advertisements

In 2006 I had a bad gal bladder and it got gangreine. It damaged my pancrease and my intestines. I had 60% of my intestines removed because of it. I also walked out of the hospital as an insulin shooting diabetic. The problem is, my blood sugar or pancreas is not predictable, in that I often hit extremes of high and low for no reason. It's like my pancreas decides when it wants to work and when it don't.

I have measured my BS at 2pm and it was 230. By 5pm I was in a coma and taken to the hospital. Blood work showed my Blood Sugar at 1408. I've also measured my blood sugar at 11am (prior to lunch) and was at 160. (I was in the hospital at the time). Before lunch arrived at noon, I was in trouble and they measured my Blood Sugar at 37.

A couple years ago, I had the opportunity to rescue a dog. She's half blue healer, half border collie, and all smart. She strives to learn and constantly wanting direction. She was very easy to train and I went to the extreme of training her to silent commands. She is a very exceptional dog.

While working in the shop on wagons, surrey's and such, my blood sugar has dropped and I've had to quick grab a snack. I notice it when it's about 50-60 range. At night, while sleeping, it will wake me up at about 30-40 range. While working in the shop, a friend noticed something and pointed out to me that my dog, Timber, acts funny when my blood sugar drops. So I started paying attention to the dog. She can reliably let me know when my blood sugar is in the 60's. Several times, I've woke up in the middle of the night because Timber was licking my face and pawing at my chest. I always thought she had to go out, so I'll get up, let her out and while waiting, I'll grab a hand full of chips or something. Never thought anything of it. She comes back in, I go back to bed. Once I realized that she was acting funny when my blood sugar dropped, I got to thinking about it. So when she'd wake me up in the middle of the night, I started getting up and immediately check my blood sugar. Again, I would be 60-70 range. So I started fine tuning her training and I rewarded her for waking me up. Mind you, I didn't want to give her too much of reward in the middle of the night because it would be too easy to get her used to the idea that she could get a snack anytime she wanted.

About a month ago, I contacted an organization and set up a test for her. Because of my disabilities they came to my town a couple weeks ago and tested Timber. We took her to restaurants, senior citizen center, dog park, grocery store, etc. I'm very proud of her. My dog Timber is now a Registered Service Dog.

They say that a service dog is not a pet. In this case, she is a service dog, a pet, and a very loved Companion. I spoil her.

When I go out and plow snow on my 4 wheeler, she rides on the tool box. In 2 years, she's never fallen off. But I was concerned with her being cold. I dress warmly, so I made sure she is comfortable too. Here's a picture of her on the back of my 4 wheeler:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2012, 11:53 AM

1,298 posts, read 2,242,751 times
This is so awesome. Precious friend you have there!

Old 02-17-2012, 07:41 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,759,798 times
Default What a great story. Thanks.

Rescue dogs are the best; I have two myself. I'm seeing a nice cushy dog bed with attached dome for your hero to ride in, especially to keep those little feet warm and toasty. The bed looks similar to a cat bed, only bigger, for a dog...that would be cool. Is that a human coat on the dog? I never thought of doing that; thanks for the idea.
Attached Thumbnails
I'm a very lucky individual-dsc00712.jpg  

Old 02-18-2012, 02:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,942,330 times
You have a lovely companion! So amazing that she senses and alerts to changes in your glucose levels.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:00 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,150,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timneh5 View Post
Rescue dogs are the best; I have two myself. I'm seeing a nice cushy dog bed with attached dome for your hero to ride in, especially to keep those little feet warm and toasty. The bed looks similar to a cat bed, only bigger, for a dog...that would be cool. Is that a human coat on the dog? I never thought of doing that; thanks for the idea.
I didn't like any of the dog coats I could find around here. All of them were open in the belly with just a velcro strap across. That is a Wal-Mart insulated hoodie in size 3T for toddlers. She weighs 35 lbs. Just recently, a store in town started carrying a dog coat that is a pull over hoodie. They are longer than a kids coat, but don't know what kind of fight it would be to put it on a dog. This coat is real easy, she steps right into it and then I just zip it up.

She has insulated boots that I put on her when it's really cold, but the day the picture was taken it wasn't too bad, about 20°F out. Gets any colder than that and I'll put her boots on her. Surprisingly, she wears them just fine and doesn't fight them. The soles are a little slick so I have to do something about that. Was thinking of glueing some rubber strips across them.

Last edited by ElkHunter; 02-18-2012 at 08:21 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes