Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 02:45 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,749,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Oops, I misspoke here. I thought Insulin Pump was simply what we ALL have/refer to in our bodies as way/mechanism we "produce" insulin. I was saying that, I didn't want to max out "use" of my insulin stores in some way, by eating high GI foods causing spikes/rapid rises in blood sugar.

I thought eating more complex carbs (though my confusion is that, despite beans/rice, etc. being "complex slower-metabolizing carbs") they would actually -- keep steadier NOT faster -- rises in blood sugar. Again, I'm now lost on that issue & need clarification.

I don't understand the mechanism of diabetes/insulin resistance/etc. well enough, thus am asking for as much clarification as can be. Sorry to mislead in the wrong direction.
See, there is a mechanical device that is called an insulin pump. You can understand why it looked like you were not diabetic and were using insulin. It's good to ask questions; that's how you learn.

"Insulin resistance is a condition in which the body produces insulin but does not use it properly. Insulin, a hormone made by the pancreas, helps the body use glucose for energy. Glucose is a form of sugar that is the body's main source of energy." Check this link: Insulin Resistance and Prediabetes - National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2012, 09:51 AM

56 posts, read 90,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
Oops, I misspoke here. I thought Insulin Pump was simply what we ALL have/refer to in our bodies as way/mechanism we "produce" insulin. I was saying that, I didn't want to max out "use" of my insulin stores in some way, by eating high GI foods causing spikes/rapid rises in blood sugar.

I thought eating more complex carbs (though my confusion is that, despite beans/rice, etc. being "complex slower-metabolizing carbs") they would actually -- keep steadier NOT faster -- rises in blood sugar. Again, I'm now lost on that issue & need clarification.

I don't understand the mechanism of diabetes/insulin resistance/etc. well enough, thus am asking for as much clarification as can be. Sorry to mislead in the wrong direction.

I thought this, that, I heard, I think, I don't understand, etc.
Really, do you think it is sensible to base something as important as your health on hearsay, sound bites, website comments, newspapers, friends, your own ideas about food and the body, etc?

Jumping from one thing to another and to another is a sure recipe for disaster.
Read books on health - I recommend The South Beach Diet - learn about the Glycemic Index, about the pancreas and see your doctor for real medical advice as they've been to school for years to learn about the body and the mind and also, they apprenticed for years under very knowledge doctors before they got the title Doctor.
That's why we pay them so much money and why its not wise to DIY.

One side effect about learning about diabetes, for me, is learning about different food and how our bodies utilize them all and also, what crap is sold to consumers who have no idea what they are eating. Its really the silver lining on the cloud.
A diabetic diet (a life plan for food not the temporary food change gimmicks) is actually a really good lifetime diet for everyone who is generally healthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes