Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 07:15 PM

10,117 posts, read 19,464,926 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
My insurance company pays for one kind of strips, lancets and meter. My doctor gave me another meter and intro package of strips and I found out how expensive strips were for my free meter and freaked. The pharmacist was the one that let me know my insurance wanted me to use what ever it is I use.

Doctors deal with so many insurances they can't keep it straight.

I was also told I could reuse lancets at least twice. The first year I was diagnosed I got several boxes of lancets -- I'm still using them up.

I also check on my arm. Less painful than my finger and since I'm pretty stable I don't need to use my finger to stick.

Thanks for the info---I've got a lot to learn!I guess I should contact my insurance and see what they cover. I can understand why so many people just give up, its such an insurance nightmare, many are on a fixed income, and being caught in the middle. Then, they don't even bother to look at a lot of tests, anyways!

The lancets are ridiculous! Mine comes in a device like a pen, it literally forces you to use a fresh one every time. Sometimes the blood drop doesn't work, and you need to re-take it. My cute little lancet device holds 7 lancets---then you have to change it out. I guess they're so afraid you might "share" it---like who would share a blood glucose test?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 07:33 PM

37,277 posts, read 41,501,637 times
You do not have to use the expensive lancets. Ask for something cheaper.

To get a reliable sample, wash your hands in warm water first. Do it long enough that the skin feels warm. Make sure that the lancet is adjusted to a sufficient depth, too.

Unless your diabetes is poorly controlled, it may not be necessary to test four times a day. You may be able to test less often but vary the times, so that you get values from a wider range of situations. This assumes your diet is good.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM

15,646 posts, read 26,344,103 times
But at the beginning of having this diagnosis, I think everyone tests and tests.... I know I did till I calmed down about it and got a handle on it.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:11 AM

10,117 posts, read 19,464,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
But at the beginning of having this diagnosis, I think everyone tests and tests.... I know I did till I calmed down about it and got a handle on it.

I have been testing 8-10X/day! That is, like you say, to get a handle on it. I'm recognizing patterns, how various foods affect me, etc. I've only been at this for 3 weeks! Its an eyeopener! Once I get more under control, I will probably test 2x/day.

But I've had doctors simply hand me a starter kit and walk away. No instructions, no RX for supplies, they just leave you on your own. Many doctors don't even know supplies are covered, at least in part, by insurance. I guess they see the supplies sold OTC at local pharmacies and think its just something the patient buys on their own. Many also have no idea how expensive those supplies are.

It seems I keep running into the most incompetent doctors!

Old 09-25-2012, 06:42 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,761,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
I have been testing 8-10X/day! That is, like you say, to get a handle on it. I'm recognizing patterns, how various foods affect me, etc. I've only been at this for 3 weeks! Its an eyeopener! Once I get more under control, I will probably test 2x/day.

But I've had doctors simply hand me a starter kit and walk away. No instructions, no RX for supplies, they just leave you on your own. Many doctors don't even know supplies are covered, at least in part, by insurance. I guess they see the supplies sold OTC at local pharmacies and think its just something the patient buys on their own. Many also have no idea how expensive those supplies are.

If your doctor's office can't or won't do it, call your insurance company yourself or look on line and check to see what brands are covered. The technicians at the front desk should be able to do this for you. You have to ask; rarely does anyone do anything automatically.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:53 PM

15,646 posts, read 26,344,103 times
Quote:

Absolutely keep a food diary. That was a big help for me.

Old 09-25-2012, 06:58 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,167,553 times
The dr has to tell the insurance company that the patient needs more insulin, strips , meters etc ....it is not the drs regulating it , it is most definately the insurance companys ...

Old 09-26-2012, 09:56 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,367,772 times
I know, my Dr. tells me I'm diabetic but then tells me to test just once a day... HUH? With my insurance I can get 100 strips a month which I just make do.

Old 09-28-2012, 01:38 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,477,863 times
Quote:
Each meter is coded to its own strips, you can't just buy "cheap" strips to work with any meter. That's how they get you---free meter and charge sky-high for the strips!

Also, can't they get it through their heads, you need as many lancets as strips! Why give you a cute little starter kit with 10 strips and 7 lancets Guess I'll raid my sewing box and use a needle!

They keep talking about how serious diabetes is (and it is), then do everything they can to stand between you and proper care.
When i first got diagnosed with diabetes i was doing the 4 strips a day with new lancet every time, i found that it was getting expensive,20yrs later i change the lancet once a year and take a blood reading once a day usually when i wake up as thats when my Blood sugar reading is the lowest.

Old 09-28-2012, 08:05 AM

37,277 posts, read 41,501,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
When i first got diagnosed with diabetes i was doing the 4 strips a day with new lancet every time, i found that it was getting expensive,20yrs later i change the lancet once a year and take a blood reading once a day usually when i wake up as thats when my Blood sugar reading is the lowest.
Doesn't the lancet get dull and hurt more?

You do need to know what your blood sugar is doing related to meals, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes