Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 05:54 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

First and foremost, the ADA had a Fasting Blood Glucose normal range from 70 to 110, and then lowered it to 60-99. I just had labs. Prior to this one, I got in the 90s a couple of times. Per the old standard, I was ok, and per this new one, I'm not as ok. This last FBG revealed an 84, so I was happy.

I got an A1C of 5.7. Still, doc told me I'm tipping toward "pre" status.

One of the things I am aware of is that high stress or something severely taxing raises cortisol levels and the endocrine system reacts to keep those under check, under ANY circumstances. Therefore, the endocrine system has built-in LIMITED elasticity.

Can a person get readings like the above and still be diabetic, such as through spikes? I eat ANYTHING I want. In fact, in the period covered by that A1C, I ate anything that struck my fancy for 3 weeks in Europe and eat a candy bar whenever shopping at the store. I am about 15 lbs. over my ideal.

Can this flip over into diabetes? Or will I most likely remain in this range? The last FBG record I found was in 2005 and it was 85.

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 10-29-2012 at 06:42 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Remember that the hemoglobin A1c reflects the average of your blood sugar over several weeks.

A1c Hemoglobin Levels Test for Diabetes: What's Normal?

"For people without diabetes, the normal range for the hemoglobin A1c test is between 4% and 5.6%. Hemoglobin A1c levels between 5.7% and 6.4% indicate increased risk of diabetes, and levels of 6.5% or higher indicate diabetes. Because studies have repeatedly shown that out-of-control diabetes results in complications from the disease, the goal for people with diabetes is a hemoglobin A1c less than 7%. The higher the hemoglobin A1c, the higher the risks of developing complications related to diabetes."

So your level of 5.7% is indeed sneaking into that "pre-diabetic" range.

So you might want to ditch the candy bars!

Edited to add: There is no way to know whether you will stay in the current range or progress. Watching your diet should help, though.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 10-29-2012 at 06:32 PM..

Old 10-29-2012, 06:21 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,406,247 times
I'm certainly no expert, but I wouldn't worry at those levels.

My BG recently hit 600+ Yes, that's cause for extreme concern. I've since gotten it down, with diet, exercise, and meds. My most recent 30-day average was 177, which is still quite high, but on the right track!

Op, if I were you, I'd just watch the diet. You can test your own BG, just buy a meter, strips, and lancets. You don't need a prescription. The RX helps with insurance payment. Try Walmart, they have a cheapie that's about $15, I think its called Relion --sp?

Anyways, OP, you certainly aren't diabetic, probably not even pre-diabetic. Since the ADA changed their desirable BG numbers a lot of people have been confused.

So, this would be my advice--

-try to lose weight
-monitor your BG yourself, try to see if there's any patterns, triggers, etc.
- change your eating habits---easier said than done. cut out the sweets, candies, eat regular meals, don't skip meals, etc

Good luck!

Old 10-29-2012, 06:24 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
First and foremost, the ADA had a Fasting Blood Glucose normal range from 70 to 110, and then lowered it to 60-99. I just had labs. Prior to this one, I got in the 90s a couple of times. Per the old standard, I was ok, and per this new one, I'm not as ok. This last FBG revealed an 84, so I was happy.

I got an A1C of 5.7. Still, doc told me I'm tipping toward "pre" status.

One of the things I am aware of is that high stress or something severely taxing raises cortisol levels and the endocrine system reacts to keep those under check, under ANY circumstances. Therefore, the endocrine system has built-in LIMITED elasticity.

Can a person get readings like the above and still be diabetic, such as through spikes? I eat ANYTHING I want. In fact, in the period covered by that A1C, I ate anything that struck my fancy for 3 weeks in Europe and eat a candy bar whenever shopping at the store. I am about 15 lbs. over my ideal.

Can this flip over into diabetes? Or will I most likely remain in this range? The last FBG record I found was in 2005 and it was 85.
they keep changing the numbers for everything it seems. I have been borderline for God knows how long, but the numbers hardly ever change:My numbers are a little higher than yours and yes, doctor says I am borderline, but I am not terribly worried because my numbers have been similar for about 5 years. A litle more exercise and and a few lbs off my body they go down a little. anolther example of numbers change is blood pressure. Until about 5 years ago the top number below 140 was fine, now they are saying 120 and cholestral the same, it used to be 120 to 240 was borderline, now it is anything above 200.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
they keep changing the numbers for everything it seems. I have been borderline for God knows how long, but the numbers hardly ever change:My numbers are a little higher than yours and yes, doctor says I am borderline, but I am not terribly worried because my numbers have been similar for about 5 years. A litle more exercise and and a few lbs off my body they go down a little. anolther example of numbers change is blood pressure. Until about 5 years ago the top number below 140 was fine, now they are saying 120 and cholestral the same, it used to be 120 to 240 was borderline, now it is anything above 200.
They tweak the numbers as they get more long term information with people with the newer numbers.

Sometimes, like with blood pressure, the ability to control it plays a part, too. Newer meds with better control means being able to recommend lower numbers.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:48 PM

Here's a calculator that converts A1c to average blood sugar:

https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose...lculator.html#

An A1c of 5.7% corresponds to an average blood sugar of 116 mg/dL.

The higher the A1c, the greater the risk of developing complications of diabetes due to its effects on small blood vessels.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Here's a calculator that converts A1c to average blood sugar:

https://www.accu-chek.com/us/glucose...lculator.html#

An A1c of 5.7% corresponds to an average blood sugar of 116 mg/dL.

The higher the A1c, the greater the risk of developing complications of diabetes due to its effects on small blood vessels.
Right, from having one acquaintance that has it, I do know A1c control is everything. However, that 116 is, as you indicate, the average. Along the same lines, I don't know how low, and how high, BG has moved around that average, and that's what worries me. I wonder if it's possible to hover along some nice 70s during the night and shoot up to 200+ after a buffet or a period of extreme stress, indicating the endocrine system has lost some elasticity. I don't see 116 as being a bad overall average, if the old acceptable FASTING number used to top out at 110, but what about possible spikes? Could those still happen, going up to dangerous levels, or would such spikes be unlikely?

Thank you for the link, BTW.

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Right, from having one acquaintance that has it, I do know A1c control is everything. However, that 116 is, as you indicate, the average. Along the same lines, I don't know how low, and how high, BG has moved around that average, and that's what worries me. I wonder if it's possible to hover along some nice 70s during the night and shoot up to 200+ after a buffet or a period of extreme stress, indicating the endocrine system has lost some elasticity. I don't see 116 as being a bad overall average, if the old acceptable FASTING number used to top out at 110, but what about possible spikes? Could those still happen, going up to dangerous levels, or would such spikes be unlikely?

Thank you for the link, BTW.
You're welcome!

If you are concerned, get a glucose meter and do some testing. The only problem is that the supplies are expensive. But you could check before and after meals for a while and see what is going on. If you test two hours after a meal with significant carbs, that might give you an estimate of what the "worst" it gets is.

Practically, With an average of 116, I suspect it's not likely that you're getting wild swings. That's more common with people who are truly diabetic who are on medication, especially insulin.

Spreading the carbohydrate through the day and avoiding large doses of simple sugars is the key. Exercise, too.

Old 10-31-2012, 07:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
How is your family history with diabetes? That is something to take into consideration as well. I would just start picking more healthy foods overall. I'm not saying never eat the 'bad' things, just keep them for a treat. As for stress, I'm naturally a high stress person. I can't meditate to save my life so I workout to relieve stress.

Old 11-18-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
How is your family history with diabetes? That is something to take into consideration as well. I would just start picking more healthy foods overall. I'm not saying never eat the 'bad' things, just keep them for a treat. As for stress, I'm naturally a high stress person. I can't meditate to save my life so I workout to relieve stress.
A few people that have remained in the "pre" stage toward the end of their lives. Only one aunt, from many relatives, with late-onset Type 2, and just uses pills. She's a little on the heavy side.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes