Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 08:28 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,345,505 times

Advertisements

Please don't use American Diabetic Ass. as any guideline for this. There essentially carb loaders and you will never get any control over this.

Clark Park made a good point. Use 1/2 and 1/2 for coffee. I did and it doesn't waste your carbs on milk AND my cholesterol went down a lot even with adding it. It's not about the fats in your diet either.
Not to say you don't have to watch those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:03 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
What I find funny is that ground beef has 0 carbs in it. You can eat hamburgers and have zero carbs but you have to be careful of Brussel Sprouts and other veggies (and fruits) because of the carbs in them!

Old 07-09-2013, 06:08 AM

Lot s of veggies are high in sugar, carrots, etc, same with fruits. REaly, to keep carbs low, eat only berries to start. If I eat an apple, it is only a 1/4 of it at a time, with greek yogurt which is lower in carbs. Regular yogurt is very high in sugar and carbs.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:27 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,003,085 times
I am insulin-dependent and read "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein (who is close to 80, and developed Type I diabetes in 1948). He essentially recommends no more than 18 carbs per day. It is an interesting read, which I highly recommend.

I have pretty well succeeded in getting my carbs down to that limit, and it has made a huge difference in my blood sugar levels. My last A1c (two months ago) hit 6.9 percent, the lowest it has been for years, and the diabetic neuropathy I had developed in my fingers (and to a lesser extent my feet) has disappeared.

There are plenty of low-carb products one may buy. For instance, Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix (good price on Amazon) makes good bread and buns. There is a product called Bakesquick that is essentially Bisquick, but without the carbs. One good source is Netrition.com, an excellent online provider (for not only low carb products, but gluten-free, etc).

At least read up about Dr. Bernstein. His history is interesting. Briefly, he was a trained engineer, frustrated by his inability to control his blood sugars. He was one of the first to get a home blood sugar meter in the early 1970s (before that you had to go to the doctor to find out your 'instant' blood sugar reading). He developed his ideas (by self experimentation) about 'carbs' (not just table sugar), but was frustrated by the unwillingness of medical doctors to listen to him. Hence, he went to medical school, got his MD, and opened his own practice to treat diabetics. Again, a good read that I recommend.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am insulin-dependent and read "Diabetes Solution" by Dr. Bernstein (who is close to 80, and developed Type I diabetes in 1948). He essentially recommends no more than 18 carbs per day. It is an interesting read, which I highly recommend.

I have pretty well succeeded in getting my carbs down to that limit, and it has made a huge difference in my blood sugar levels. My last A1c (two months ago) hit 6.9 percent, the lowest it has been for years, and the diabetic neuropathy I had developed in my fingers (and to a lesser extent my feet) has disappeared.

There are plenty of low-carb products one may buy. For instance, Bob's Red Mill Low Carb Baking Mix (good price on Amazon) makes good bread and buns. There is a product called Bakesquick that is essentially Bisquick, but without the carbs. One good source is Netrition.com, an excellent online provider (for not only low carb products, but gluten-free, etc).

At least read up about Dr. Bernstein. His history is interesting. Briefly, he was a trained engineer, frustrated by his inability to control his blood sugars. He was one of the first to get a home blood sugar meter in the early 1970s (before that you had to go to the doctor to find out your 'instant' blood sugar reading). He developed his ideas (by self experimentation) about 'carbs' (not just table sugar), but was frustrated by the unwillingness of medical doctors to listen to him. Hence, he went to medical school, got his MD, and opened his own practice to treat diabetics. Again, a good read that I recommend.

Yes, reading Dr. Bernstein is good also, I have and sent a copy to my mother. Good suggestion.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:12 AM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
I was loooking at some veggie carb content online and it seems the best things are: red or green peppers, yellow or green squash, romaine lettuce, cucumbers.

I'm wondering about the meat now.... if it has zero carbs and I eat a hamburger with, say, romaine lettuce or a tomato slice (no bread), that should be good as far as carbs are concerned. I guess that could be a dinner.

Breakfast could be an egg with 1 slice of whole wheat toast

Lunch could be a salad with the above veggies.

I really have this diabetes..... I have a 15 year old that I have to be here for so I have no choice but to do this.

What about diet soda?? No sugar, no carbs

Old 07-09-2013, 11:29 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,911,890 times
I don't really count carbs, I have just learned to limit my intake depending how I feel. If I eat too much I will likely throw it up.

I would skip the sodas.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:00 PM

1,009 posts, read 4,037,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Consider diluting A&W Diet Root Beer with 50% water.

One fruit consumption option:
Prepare 1 package sugar-free gelatin with around 4 cups water and let gel in refrigerator overnight. Blend 1 can no-sugar-added sliced peaches at slow speed, pour away 1 cup of the blend for later use, then add the refrigerated gelatin to the remaining 1 cup and add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon while blending at slow speed. Pour blend into 1/2 cup containers and re-refrigerate.

Dehydrated turkey frank sections make good movie theater munchies.

Last edited by tortoise; 07-09-2013 at 12:09 PM..

Old 07-09-2013, 12:10 PM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
I was loooking at some veggie carb content online and it seems the best things are: red or green peppers, yellow or green squash, romaine lettuce, cucumbers.

I'm wondering about the meat now.... if it has zero carbs and I eat a hamburger with, say, romaine lettuce or a tomato slice (no bread), that should be good as far as carbs are concerned. I guess that could be a dinner.

Breakfast could be an egg with 1 slice of whole wheat toast

Lunch could be a salad with the above veggies.

I really have this diabetes..... I have a 15 year old that I have to be here for so I have no choice but to do this.

There's all sorts of speculation about the artificial sweeteners out there. There seems to be mounting evidence that they don't let your body feel sated -- or more pointedly -- you never feel full when you drink them because your body doesn't recognize them as food. So you set yourself up for overeating.

My drink of choice is water -- bubbly with flavor essense, like Crystal Geyser. Or tea -- iced or hot. I had to try a number of teas -- I wanted sugar in all of them in some portion to alleviate the tannin taste -- until I found Twinings. I can drink Twinings straight.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:44 PM

Yes, the burger with the lettuce and tomato are good. I do that kind of thing a lot. Also, if you can find them, there are low carb wraps which help for a "bread" fix. I get low carb wraps at Trader Joes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes