Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 01:13 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivettes View Post
Don't forget his book is available online free, on his website. Still, I found it very helpful to have an actual copy of his book because it took me several times of reading it through to completely understand. That's because when I was first diagnosed I knew nothing, absolutely nothing.
His online chapters are very helpful tho. He has a forum too, but it's not real active...or at least it wasn't last time I checked which was a long time ago. Still, there's quite helpful information there.

I don't like reading books online, especially informational books. I'd rather have the actual book that I can highlight, underline, put post-it notes in, etc.

I just ordered the book from my library so I should have it tomorrow or Sunday. It will make for some good reading on the train. Once I have the $$, I'll order it from Amazon.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 01:40 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,023,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
What is LADA?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TdjoZKXKT4

Old 04-24-2014, 08:10 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,724,920 times
VERY interesting!! Thank you!

Old 04-25-2014, 11:18 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
What I was told by my diabetes educator was every meal and snack has to be complete. It's got to have protein and carbs and fat. Each piece works as a team together.

Think of it as a hearth fire in the old days. The fire would burn bright at night before bed to heat up the house. That's carbs. And that's why you need to eat carbs -- in the forms of veggies and whole grains. They give you energy fast. But at night, you'd bank the fire, so it wouldn't go out, but you wouldn't have to start all over in the morning -- just poke the fire and it would come back.

That's protein and fat. They bank the fire the carbs light -- and make the fire last longer... so your salads could actually raise your blood sugar because there's no protein. And then you might get an energy drain by three because the carbs burned up with nothing to temper the burn to make your energy last.

So add some chicken or turkey to those salads and you'll be fine.

Old 04-25-2014, 12:21 PM

526 posts, read 900,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
What I was told by my diabetes educator was every meal and snack has to be complete. It's got to have protein and carbs and fat. Each piece works as a team together.

Think of it as a hearth fire in the old days. The fire would burn bright at night before bed to heat up the house. That's carbs. And that's why you need to eat carbs -- in the forms of veggies and whole grains. They give you energy fast. But at night, you'd bank the fire, so it wouldn't go out, but you wouldn't have to start all over in the morning -- just poke the fire and it would come back.

That's protein and fat. They bank the fire the carbs light -- and make the fire last longer... so your salads could actually raise your blood sugar because there's no protein. And then you might get an energy drain by three because the carbs burned up with nothing to temper the burn to make your energy last.

So add some chicken or turkey to those salads and you'll be fine.
I agree with the above except for the carbs. There are valuable nutrients in veggies and they are very low in carbs so it's great to eat veggies. But grains -- completely unnecessary. All they do is raise your blood sugar and they don't supply anything that our bodies need. Our bodies make glucose from the protein we eat in a process called gluconeogenesis. There is no need to ingest carbs just for the sake of ingesting carbs. Our bodies make all the glucose we need from the protein we eat. That's a very controversial statement, I know. It very much goes against the ADA. But read Dr. Bernstein's book. He has been living that way for 50 years, and he has a huge, thriving population of diabetic patients who live that way as well.

Think about it. Diabetes is the inability of the body to handle carbohydrates. How is it best treated? By limiting carbohydrates. You can eat carbs and try to control your blood sugar with medication. Lots of people do it that way, and some of them are quite successful. But lots aren't and suffer complications. Or you can limit your carbs as much as possible and control your blood sugar with minimal or no medication (if you're T2). You're not leaving anything essential out of your diet. Can you honestly say that adding two pieces of bread to meat and cheese somehow makes it healthier? Is it easy to forgo carbs to that extent? No, especially at first. Is it possible? Of course!

Old 04-25-2014, 01:31 PM

1,608 posts, read 1,483,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
Also, this salad would be for lunch purposes. For breakfast, I don't even know where to start. Eggs are bad news because my cholesterol is high. Toast, pancakes, waffles are definitely out. Cereal is no good. Oatmeal is no good (serving size is 1/2 cup and that has 19g carbs! A 'real' serving could be at least a cup so that means starting the day with 38g of carbs!!)

Dinner will probably be chicken breast and veggies or chicken sausage with peppers or something along those lines.

I'm so frustrated about this carb stuff!!! I start to think maybe I should just eat a slab of bacon for breakfast, a steak for lunch, and chicken for dinner ---- no veggies, no starch, nothing else!
G'morning Amisi!

First of all - eggs won't raise your serum cholesterol because the SIZE of the LDL and HLDL molecules in eggs are much too large to cause you concern. Eggs actually help the HDL in your body to get rid of small cholesterol molecules, so I wouldn't worry about eggs, if I were you. I routinely scramble a dozen eggs for my husband and myself (shared), topped with a little no-carb Caesar dressing and a sprinkling of cayenne. NO CARBS at all in that meal and you won't be hungry for hours. My lipid panel is excellent, as is my husband's, so don't believe what anyone tells you about eggs.

For breakfast, why not try a couple of ounces of mozzarella cheese (or whatever kind you like that is low in sodium) with a glass of red wine and 1/2 a teaspoon of cassia cinnamon and 500 mg chromium?

It's always a good idea to drink a liter of herbal tea (dandelion or red clover are great for diabetics), or water with a slice of lemon in it with every meal. The water dilutes the amount of glucose your meal will deposit into your bloodstream, and your meter reading will reflect that.

I know that the AMA, ADA, and the IAD suggest that a reading of 140 (or 7.78) is fine for a one-hour pp reading, but that is rubbish. Beta cells die at 121 (6.7), so you ought to try to keep your BG readings under that at all times - if you don't, you'll slowly lose ground - and there's no need to.

Have you visited Jenny Ruhl's site yet? I send all my patients there, as it's probably the best crash course on the Net in regard to providing intelligent and useful information that will make you feel better about being diabetic. It's not much fun to give up all the foods you love, I know, but there's enough of a choice available to you that you ought to be able to manage well - and breathe easier.

Don't worry - it doesn't help!

Blessings,

Mahrie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes