Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,791,004 times

Advertisements

I see lots of threads discussing particular treatments for particular issues and symptoms, practically all of which involve the Big Pharma solutions (i.e. pills)

I'm wondering what folks are doing in addition to or instead of what your doctors might be pushing, and what success you may be having.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2014, 08:35 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,872,184 times
I started taking cinnamon and chromium capsules a month ago to see if they'd help lower my FBG. They didn't do anything, except I take them at the same time as my fish oil, so I get cinnamon burps instead of fishy burps.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
I started taking cinnamon and chromium capsules a month ago to see if they'd help lower my FBG. They didn't do anything, except I take them at the same time as my fish oil, so I get cinnamon burps instead of fishy burps.
lol

Old 04-15-2014, 12:13 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Cut your carbs WAY back.

Old 04-15-2014, 12:20 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Cut your carbs WAY back.
Not true for everyone who has diabetes, some can eat as much as they want and others can't.
My husband can eat potatoes without his numbers raising ONLY if he has at least 2 times the amount of chicken that he has potatoes. So if he has 4 ounces of potatoes he needs to eat at least 8 ounces of chicken.

The most important thing for diabetes is to know what your baseline numbers are and what your key foods are and what exercise is going to work best for you.

My husband's baseline number is 120, his key foods are potatoes which raises his numbers by a minimum of 60 points and chicken which stabilizes his numbers when he has it with carbs and will lower them when he has it without carbs. His exercise is walking for a minimum of 2 miles each day and he usually walks 3 or 4 miles spread out over the entire day.

Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 AM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Not true for everyone who has diabetes, some can eat as much as they want and others can't.
My husband can eat potatoes without his numbers raising ONLY if he has at least 2 times the amount of chicken that he has potatoes. So if he has 4 ounces of potatoes he needs to eat at least 8 ounces of chicken.

The most important thing for diabetes is to know what your baseline numbers are and what your key foods are and what exercise is going to work best for you.

My husband's baseline number is 120, his key foods are potatoes which raises his numbers by a minimum of 60 points and chicken which stabilizes his numbers when he has it with carbs and will lower them when he has it without carbs. His exercise is walking for a minimum of 2 miles each day and he usually walks 3 or 4 miles spread out over the entire day.

Baseline number is 120, lol, let me guess.....he is also taking diabetes medication?

Old 04-16-2014, 01:13 PM

295 posts, read 832,584 times
I eat to my meter readings and test frequently in addition to following a diet lower in carbs.
By testing frequently I've learned which foods spike my glucose so I can avoid or limit them. I aim for readings of 140 or less at one hour after a meal and 120 or less two hours post meal.

None of my doctors wants me to test frequently--it's like, "don't worry your pretty little head, I'll adjust your meds if your A1c goes up." I find that odd. They say to test once or twice per day (and I've known some diabetics who were told to test twice weekly!) but, for me, I needed to test more than that, especially in the beginning, to learn how foods affected me personally. Now I don't test as much as I used to--some days I don't test at all now, depending on how I feel and the foods I've eaten--but I will test more often if I'm eating out or having an unfamiliar food or trying a food that I think might have too many carbs for my body. Everyone is so different in how foods affect them!

Heck, I've even had a doctor (now fired) yell at me that he was "Not" going to justify that many test strips to my insurance company---even though my company tells me they cover 202 test strips per month. lol

So I've learned to just smile and nod at my doctors and buy my test strips on my own. I have such a high insurance deductible anyway that I never meet it, and actually my insurance-covered test strips cost me more than buying online.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:49 PM

726 posts, read 1,367,551 times
Taking spirulina tablets work wonders. They are high in EPA and DHA forms of omega-3, the only non-meat/fish source of these important forms of omega-3. They also contain high levels of chlorophyl, vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants in a form that is highly digestible, unlike most multi-vitamins. Additionally, they are very high in a complete protein. It's best to take them 2-3 times a day to help stabilize blood sugar.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:29 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,303,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
I see lots of threads discussing particular treatments for particular issues and symptoms, practically all of which involve the Big Pharma solutions (i.e. pills)

I'm wondering what folks are doing in addition to or instead of what your doctors might be pushing, and what success you may be having.

Thanks.
Physicians will tell you that the most effective treatment is simply responsible weight loss. Responsible weight loss occurs through a healthy diet that is low in fats and carbohydrates along with an exercise program. Many people who have Type II Diabetes can be cured if they will shed a substantial number of pounds.

While not all persons with Type II Diabetes are over weight, the decided majority are and often obese as well. The number of persons with Type II Diabetes has increased as the number of overweight people in our country has increased as well.

So, a responsible weight loss program is first thing that doesn't involve "big pharma" that these diabetics should be doing. In the meantime though, they need to continue taking their oral agents and medication that is designed to keep blood sugar within a normal range. Don't fall for the crap that these medications can be replaced by taking some kind of "alternative medicine" or vitamin supplements.

It is critical with this disease to keep blood glucose levels as close as possible to a range of 50-150. Blood glucose levels that are consistently above 150 cause glucotoxicity and eventually will lead to kidney problems, blindness, and nerve problems that may eventually require amputations of extremities.

This disease requires careful management. It is nothing to fool around with.

Old 04-23-2014, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

So, a responsible weight loss program is first thing that doesn't involve "big pharma" that these diabetics should be doing. In the meantime though, they need to continue taking their oral agents and medication that is designed to keep blood sugar within a normal range. Don't fall for the crap that these medications can be replaced by taking some kind of "alternative medicine" or vitamin supplements.
Since I came out of denial, maybe 14-16 months back, I have lost 50 pounds (but am unable, it seems, to lose more). Happy that I am under 200 now (height 6'0) which has not been true since maybe the late 70's. This has been accomplished mostly with diet changes. Inspired by the documentary Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead, I have purchased a vitaMix and have incorporated green and fruit blends into my diet.

My blood sugar at end of denial time was 402. Last check fasting blood sugar was 197 and A1C has dropped from over 12 to 7.9. which my doctor tells me still of concern because of my age. She wants to put me on a prescription blood sugar control med, and I will follow her advice.

But I have to say, the blood sugar improvements came by following the advice of Dr Mark Hyman, author of The Blood Sugar Solution, plus the advice of the folks at Tree of Life, where my son worked for a while as a chef as a part of their Diabetes Treatment Program. Meaning I started taking Nopal Cactus, cinnamon, chromium picolinate in addition to fish, flax, and borage oils,l and my regular multi vitamin.

In mid June of 2013, out of the blue, I started suffering severe stabbing pains in my torso. Painkillers such as motrin, ibuprohin and aspirin had no effect whatsoever. It took me a while to figure out this was a form of neuropathy, so I added methylcobalamin (a form of vitamin B-12). I wish I could say that the neuropathy was gone but it is not. But at least I no longer spend a lot of time curled up in the fetal position crying my eyes out. I treat the symptoms with alcohol rubs, and I can get by.

I should probably go back to L-carnitine and alpha lipoic acid. Not sure why I stopped., except maybe as the stabbing pains faded I felt I no longer needed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
It is critical with this disease to keep blood glucose levels as close as possible to a range of 50-150. Blood glucose levels that are consistently above 150 cause glucotoxicity and eventually will lead to kidney problems, blindness, and nerve problems that may eventually require amputations of extremities.

This disease requires careful management. It is nothing to fool around with.
Agreed.

Thanks to all who replied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes