Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 03:28 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,737,830 times

Advertisements

I'm posting on a dating website looking for a long term female mate and thinking about posting for a Diabetic female and wondering if this is a good idea? I'm on insulin four times a day. Some women might not want a mate that is a diabetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 09:43 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,983,501 times
I think it sounds like a good idea.

Old 11-17-2014, 09:56 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,865,844 times
John, I have cancer and I'm on a dating site. What you do is go out on a date with them and get to know them a bit just to see if there's anything there, and if there is you tell them. They can decide from there if they want to see you again and the great thing about this is that it will weed out anyone who isn't truly interested in you.

Tell them sooner rather than later but not before or on the first date. I just told a man last night about this and he still wants to see me, so there is hope. If I were you I would not narrow my field to just diabetics--you will screen out those who might be perfect for you but healthy, or those with other health conditions that might make them more understanding of your problems.

And just FTR--before I found out about my cancer I was dating a man who was diabetic and I was so crazy about him that it was not going to stop me. Sadly it did not work out but not for health reasons. Consider this too--I think you're about my age and at this age we have to expect that our potential dates either have some health issue going on, are about to have one, or they're a health nut. Or all three. LOL.

Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM

22,632 posts, read 15,001,524 times
I do not think it is a good idea to post it on a dating site profile. By all means, reveal your diabetic condition ... but after the first or second date.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I do not think it is a good idea to post it on a dating site profile. By all means, reveal your diabetic condition ... but after the first or second date.
Why not Clark? John and I are both around 54/55--the age at which people do really start to have the health challenges. There are no guarantees in life and you could start dating someone who is perfectly healthy or so it seems. . . and 2 mo later they find out they have cancer. I was dating the diabetic man when I found out about mine a year ago--thought I was healthy as a horse.

The point is though--we are still among the living. I don't know about John, but I'm not ready to die yet and I think it would be a kind of death to lose hope that I will find the right person for me.

Old 11-18-2014, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Oops, I missed the full wording of your message. Right, I agree. Keep it off the profile and wait until you know that you both want more dates. Do not wait until the other person is fully invested b/c that will take away their power of choice and that's not a fair thing to do to someone.

Also, John, I started a similar thread in the relationship forum called "Dam, I'm in a tight spot."

Old 11-18-2014, 07:05 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,458,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
I'm posting on a dating website looking for a long term female mate and thinking about posting for a Diabetic female and wondering if this is a good idea? I'm on insulin four times a day. Some women might not want a mate that is a diabetic.

Personally I would not put it on a dating website, I would wait until you are chatting with someone and mention it during conversation regarding meals and such.
Then they can decide if they want to venture into the possible relationship arena. Mr. CSD was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago but I would have continued on with him even if he had been diagnosed before we met.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:59 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,339,936 times
A friend is someone who knows all about you and still likes you!

Be honest and do tell. Nothing better than having a friend you can be open and honest with. (Not to mention choosing what to eat will be a whole LOT easier if both people are on the same page.)

Old 11-19-2014, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_J View Post
A friend is someone who knows all about you and still likes you!

Be honest and do tell. Nothing better than having a friend you can be open and honest with. (Not to mention choosing what to eat will be a whole LOT easier if both people are on the same page.)
Oh, gotta agree wholeheartedly here--be careful to find someone who will not derail your meal plans. I'm looking carefully for someone who can handle my health and fitness focus. I started to date someone a few months ago and when he found out how stringent my health and diet are, he decided not to continue any further. That's ok, it would not have worked anyway if he was that addicted to his sugar.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:08 AM

4,908 posts, read 4,258,113 times
I would never get quite that personal on a dating website "profile"...it's just TMI.

If you start dating someone, and it becomes more or less exclusive, they will learn more about you and these things will become less important, as they should be. If I met someone (and I did meet my husband on line) and developed feelings for them, being diabetic is NOT something that would change my mind about spending more time with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes