Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2015, 08:17 PM

185 posts, read 184,754 times

Advertisements

Yesterday I noticed blood in my urine. It didn't phase me until around 11pm when I gradually started to feel sick. I was peeing all night long! Blood clots, strings of blood, an elevated temp' and chills. Plus, nausea!

I got even worse around 7am. Feeling malaise that was a bit strange. Weakness all over. It was a lot like hypoglycemia (I've never been diagnosed with diabetes, and my blood glucose readings are always normal at any dr's office, but I've experienced occasional hypo from gung ho exercise). I went to the ER, but feeling somewhat better after drinking orange juice, I left and made an appointment around noon with my regular dr.

My regular dr. is new to me. I've only been to her once up till now. She's very straightforward. Quite good, so far. I had a urine culture done, not that the dr. relayed much about it. I think it takes 48 hrs to find out what's in it, not sure. The sample clearly showed a lot of blood! Quite frankly, I should have done a second urine sample, because the blood clots are pronounced. I've got achy pain on my left and right backside. My dr. sent me to get an ultrasound done, but those results won't be available until Monday.

Now, I don't know much about kidney infections, but I think my symptoms obviously point to an infection, or something going on (like kidney stones, maybe) that would contribute to an infection.

I cannot figure out why I didn't leave with a prescription for antibiotics in this case. Doesn't that seem a bit careless? I realize antibiotics are haphazardly prescribed, but a UTI revealing blood and malaise as I describe probably merits antibiotics immediately, even though diagnostic tests aren't back yet.

Any thoughts from you all out there?

I might just go to an Urgent Care clinic, or the ER to get a second opinion, in the morning, that is *if* I even wait that long. The blood is unreal! I've been drinking copious amounts of water since last night. I'm peeing nearly every hour. The blood doesn't fade. It does hurt, but not that bad. I feel almost flu-like.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2015, 09:51 PM

37,107 posts, read 41,238,832 times
I am assuming you are female. How old are you? Do you take any blood thinners or aspirin? Any other medications?

That much blood in the urine is not typical for a urinary infection. That is probably why your doctor did not start an antibiotic right away.

Bladder infections usually cause a continual urge to urinate due to irritation of the bladder lining. That results in frequent trips to the toilet, small volumes of urine with each trip, and pain during urination that may be worse just as the bladder empties. There may be some pain just above the pubic bone. Fever and nausea or vomiting are not common. The urine may be cloudy due to the presence of white blood cells, and those cells, bacteria, and a few red blood cells may be seen in the urine under the microscope. Infections can cause heavier bleeding, but it's not typical, especially the clots you describe.

If the infection makes its way up to the kidney, it may cause pain in the kidney, which is high in the flank, just under the rib cage. Tapping on the back over the kidney may elicit pain. One or both kidneys may be involved. There may be fever, nausea, and vomiting. The appearance of the urine may be similar to that with a bladder infection, but again a large amount of blood is not common.

Kidney stones are more likely to cause bleeding, and stones may indeed coexist with infection. Bladder abnormalities can also cause frank bleeding. A stone that is trying to pass through the ureter is often excruciatingly painful, with the site of the pain depending on exactly where the stone is. The pain may be in the flank or groin.

Rather than going to see another doctor, you need to follow up with the one who ordered the ultrasound. There is no reason for her to not be able to ask the radiology department for the result of the test tomorrow rather than waiting for it to go through routine channels, especially with a weekend coming up, so that treatment can be started and a urologist consulted if it looks like you have a stone. Hopping from doctor to doctor is not going to help you get well any faster.

Hope you feel better soon. Please let us know what happens.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:19 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Go to hospital emergency room; I would have gone right way. Could be a lot of things.

Old 05-15-2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Go to hospital emergency room; I would have gone right way. Could be a lot of things.
The ER will just refer the patient back to the doctor who has already started an evaluation.

Old 05-17-2015, 01:01 PM

185 posts, read 184,754 times
Good news today, I feel remarkably better.

About the antibiotics, my Dr. got me a prescrip' Saturday morning. She actually phoned me to get it just before 8AM. I still can't figure why I wasn't given a prescrip' Friday, but no worries.

I hope this is just a typical UTI that may have been brought on by dehydration. If that's all it is, I should clear up. I get a bunch of test results back on Monday. I feel normal now. :-) Like, huge relief!

I've been gaming all of these home remedies since Friday. I'm drinking water with lemon juice (no sugar added). I've taken a few glasses of water with a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar in each. My diet today has included probiotics, vitamin C (not tablets, but from fruits/veg's), lots of vegetables, and lower protein. I gradually started to feel marked improvement by Saturday afternoon. Hooray! As of today, Sunday, I feel normal. There's no blood in my urine. :-)

I was really feeling miserable all of Friday. I was considering going to the ER that night, but I fell asleep like a log. After this misery, I'm going to be very careful about avoiding dehydration. I do drink water regularly, but I think not consuming enough carbs makes me dehydrate fast (I know you need glucose to hold water in cells). I can drink a lot of H20, but without enough carbs, I dump fluids, and feel crappy! I don't do super low carb intentionally. It was just the result of being outdoors all day long.

Thanks for the replies. :-) It's Sunday afternoon, and I feel sooo relieved right now. :-)

Old 06-01-2015, 06:24 PM

2,914 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
+2
I've read that infections (in the abdomen) can have very serious complications if not treated soon.

I once had a pain below the left side of my ribs. "Fortunately" it was a small kidney stone.

Old 06-03-2015, 03:50 PM

273 posts, read 211,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The ER will just refer the patient back to the doctor who has already started an evaluation.
Its worth a shot I would say if your feeling flu-like. Go and demand to be evaluated.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibsonplayer View Post
Its worth a shot I would say if your feeling flu-like. Go and demand to be evaluated.
Waste of money and inappropriate use of the ER.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes