Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-02-2016, 07:12 PM

152 posts, read 185,775 times

Advertisements

today i did,
left hand=200 , right hand = 163

a day before,
left hand=528, right hand =224
when i got 500+ i freaked out and did right hand. and left hand again.
i make my fingers clean with alcohol pad.

i am right handed. and mostly use my right hand using mouse at work.

does it mean my left hand is the right blood sugar?i am on medication januvia and metformin
ill ask my endo next time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2016, 07:17 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
How long have you been diagnosed?
How long since you have been to the Dr.?
What is your A1C?
Why are you testing both hands?
How often do you test?
What in the world are you eating?
Diabetes is not limited to specific body parts.

Old 03-03-2016, 07:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,479,098 times
It may be your meter. You can calibrate/test your meter by contacting the manufacturer. They send you a test solution usually free of charge. When my meter fluctuates it's usually by 5 points or less.

Old 03-03-2016, 03:28 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,879,364 times
It's likely that there's something on your hand throwing off the test result. You should wash your hands with soap and water before the test.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:37 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
It may be your meter. You can calibrate/test your meter by contacting the manufacturer. They send you a test solution usually free of charge. When my meter fluctuates it's usually by 5 points or less.

I agree. All meters are not alike.

For my official test, twice a day, I use the Ultra Smart meter, which has proven to be very accurate over the years.

Since those test strips are so expensive, I cast around for a cheaper meter. For instance, I bought the "Relion" meter from Walmart. It was so wildly inaccurate that I figured it was a dud. Bought another one (only about $15). It too was wildly inaccurate. I could literally prick my finger, get a reading of 150; then, insert a new strip, squeeze out blood from the same site, test again, and get 210. I even bought a third one (we have two houses, so I bought it for the other house), and when I tried it, same thing. Wildly inaccurate.

Now, I have finally settled on True Result (which I think you can get at Target, although I got off Amazon). Inexpensive meter, inexpensive strips, and while it runs 10 points higher than I get from the Ultra Smart, it is at least a consistent 10 points. If my reading is 130, I may rest assure it is probably 120.

Old 03-05-2016, 02:09 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,315,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fr3ssconyc View Post

a day before,
left hand=528, right hand =224
when i got 500+ i freaked out and did right hand. and left hand again.
i make my fingers clean with alcohol pad.

i am right handed. and mostly use my right hand using mouse at work.

does it mean my left hand is the right blood sugar?i am on medication januvia and metformin
ill ask my endo next time.
As blood circulates throughout the body there should be no appreciable difference in your Blood sugar level no matter where you take the blood sample.
With numbers north of 500 on a reading expect your endo to prescribe more stronger medication, Insulin injections being the next step.

Old 03-14-2016, 07:25 AM

119 posts, read 126,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
As blood circulates throughout the body there should be no appreciable difference in your Blood sugar level no matter where you take the blood sample.
With numbers north of 500 on a reading expect your endo to prescribe more stronger medication, Insulin injections being the next step.
I might see a reason to disagree with you.

Blood volume can be different in each arm.
Different blood pressure in right and left arms could signal trouble - Harvard Health Blog - Harvard Health Publications

And blood volume can effect glucose levels
https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT02612597

I would take you blood pressure in each are to see if it is different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes