Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2017, 12:52 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Even so, 2 gallons of orange juice is a LOT of OJ even for a non-diabetic to drink.
I know it is. Latest update is they cannot get his sugar under 300. He takes 1500 mg of metformin, he has changed his diet. The other night my boss's daughter said he ate a few pieces of rotisserie chicken, a few bites of steamed veggies and 1/4 of a sweet potato. He was immediately full, sweating profusely and had to lay down. I suggested to her that he see and endocrinologist. Their doctor's response to the sugars not being under 300 was "well at least it isn't going up". I told her to get another PC. He might need another pill on top of the metformin like my DH has which is glimepiride. He is so depressed. He also thinks he has cancer and that the doctor isn't telling him. He is very paranoid. He's 38 my DH is 44.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2017, 01:13 PM

88,613 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I know it is. Latest update is they cannot get his sugar under 300. He takes 1500 mg of metformin, he has changed his diet. The other night my boss's daughter said he ate a few pieces of rotisserie chicken, a few bites of steamed veggies and 1/4 of a sweet potato. He was immediately full, sweating profusely and had to lay down. I suggested to her that he see and endocrinologist. Their doctor's response to the sugars not being under 300 was "well at least it isn't going up". I told her to get another PC. He might need another pill on top of the metformin like my DH has which is glimepiride. He is so depressed. He also thinks he has cancer and that the doctor isn't telling him. He is very paranoid. He's 38 my DH is 44.
I bet he's depressed. That's some scary news. Plus, if he did like sweets, you go through some psychological withdrawal sometimes when the goodies are taken away.

Candy always made me feel SO much happier after a long, depressing workday. It took a while to get over the sadness when I faced the fact that it had to stop.

Old 07-29-2017, 03:33 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I bet he's depressed. That's some scary news. Plus, if he did like sweets, you go through some psychological withdrawal sometimes when the goodies are taken away.

Candy always made me feel SO much happier after a long, depressing workday. It took a while to get over the sadness when I faced the fact that it had to stop.
I am trying to help them because both sides of our family have diabetes. Her DH's mom's side has it too. Now my boss's son has type 2 as well. over 1 year now he's 30. He's lost 20 pounds since and his sugars have been under 150 since changing his diet and taking meds. I just don't understand why the other guy's sugar is still very high 2 weeks later. Maybe the medication needs time to kick in? He's not super skinny but he's not overweight either. He's maybe 6'2" tall and 200 pounds.

Old 07-29-2017, 05:21 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
Quote:
. I just don't understand why the other guy's sugar is still very high 2 weeks later. Maybe the medication needs time to kick in? He's not super skinny but he's not overweight either. He's maybe 6'2" tall and 200 pounds.
Has he been using a glucometer at home to check his blood sugar before and after he eats? That helps to learn what foods raise blood sugar and what foods don't, which is very important.

Also, has he had nutritional counseling?

Meds help, but he has to learn how to eat to control his blood sugar in addition to meds.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:05 AM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
I am trying to help them because both sides of our family have diabetes. Her DH's mom's side has it too. Now my boss's son has type 2 as well. over 1 year now he's 30. He's lost 20 pounds since and his sugars have been under 150 since changing his diet and taking meds. I just don't understand why the other guy's sugar is still very high 2 weeks later. Maybe the medication needs time to kick in? He's not super skinny but he's not overweight either. He's maybe 6'2" tall and 200 pounds.

Different meds work on different links in the chain. Metformin works by telling your liver to make less glucose, but mostly it works by making your cells more sensitive to your own insulin. If you can't make enough insulin, metformin doesn't work.

Glimepiride works by telling your pancreas to make more insulin-- if it can't respond, then the glimepiride doesn't work.

Over weight diabetics usually respond to diet tx when caught early. Thin diabetics are a challenge: you can't cut down much on intake if they're not taking in much in the first place, and often they're the insulin deficient types, so oral meds don't work well.

BTW- no need to take BS readings too often, unless you're on a sliding scale insulin routine. Type II diabetics can do little to control 2-hr post-prandial levels and it's not that important in preventing complications. It's the long term average (hence the value of the HBA1c value) that counts.---Does it really make any difference to be shot with six bullets in 2 hrs vs six bullets in eight hrs?

Old 07-31-2017, 09:08 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,482,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Different meds work on different links in the chain. Metformin works by telling your liver to make less glucose, but mostly it works by making your cells more sensitive to your own insulin. If you can't make enough insulin, metformin doesn't work.

Glimepiride works by telling your pancreas to make more insulin-- if it can't respond, then the glimepiride doesn't work.

Over weight diabetics usually respond to diet tx when caught early. Thin diabetics are a challenge: you can't cut down much on intake if they're not taking in much in the first place, and often they're the insulin deficient types, so oral meds don't work well.

BTW- no need to take BS readings too often, unless you're on a sliding scale insulin routine. Type II diabetics can do little to control 2-hr post-prandial levels and it's not that important in preventing complications. It's the long term average (hence the value of the HBA1c value) that counts.---Does it really make any difference to be shot with six bullets in 2 hrs vs six bullets in eight hrs?
If the glimepiride does not work in lowering BG, increase the dose. If that does not work at all, he will have to go on insulin. His pancreas is more than likely burned out. Either way, doctors cannot monitor full time. You have take it upon yourself to test with a meter to see how meds work and relay the information to the doctor so he can adjust treatment.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:43 AM

10,090 posts, read 5,739,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
It's safer to say the test was probably accurate. False readings can and do sometimes occur (not just with A1c, but with all laboratory tests). OP, if both your fasting and 2-hour postprandial blood glucose levels keep testing consistently low, it wouldn't hurt to repeat the A1c test.
I may get it done again in October. My blood sugar readings have been bizarre. Last night, I was pleased to get a 97 reading right after supper. I was expecting an even lower reading this morning since I had consumed nothing since then. My BS was 107! It went up instead.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:18 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,981,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I may get it done again in October. My blood sugar readings have been bizarre. Last night, I was pleased to get a 97 reading right after supper.

I was expecting an even lower reading this morning since I had consumed nothing since then. My BS was 107! It went up instead.
You will get a normal reading right after eating; it takes time for the reading to change. Wait an hour or 1-1/2 hours before testing.

So your fasting BS was 107? That isn't from what you ate yesterday.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:59 PM

7,265 posts, read 5,147,374 times
Quote:
I may get it done again in October. My blood sugar readings have been bizarre. Last night, I was pleased to get a 97 reading right after supper. I was expecting an even lower reading this morning since I had consumed nothing since then. My BS was 107! It went up instead.
A glucometer has an accuracy of ~10%, so if God could tell you your bs was really 100, your glucometer might read as low as 90 or as high as 110mg%. Counter-intuitively, statistically speaking, 90mg% = 110 mg%. So don't make too much of the various readings you're getting. A clinical lab test for bs only has an accuracy of ~5%.

The accuracy of the HbA1c is 0.1% so, for example, a reading of 5.9% "=" 6.1%.

For poorly controlled diabetics running bs around 200, that range of inaccuracy is still 10%- so a 200 reading could "really" be anywhere from 180 - 220mg%. Don't get excited about readings rising or falling but staying in that range-- statistically they're all the same. You're not better better or worse if they stay within 20 pts of each other.

Old 08-09-2017, 04:03 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Last week I went to my family doc and he wanted to do a A1C test on me first thing. My heart sank when he told me that I was right on the border of being diabetic. I tested at 6.3. Diabetics is something I've worried about getting for years, and even learned how to home test my blood sugar. Unfortunately, on the last couple of years, I let my weight get out of hand and had not tested in awhile.

The doctor almost even started me on metformin which scared me even more. I asked him if I was already at the point of no return and he said no, but I would have to make drastic changes to diet. I did have breakfast before the test, but he said that wouldn't affect the numbers.

I went home and bought some new test strips. I dreaded seeing the number. It would probably be a new high. My first reading was 130, but I had ate some ice cream a couple hours ago. I checked it again two hours later and it was completely normal at 80!

Is it possible that the A1C didn't give me an accurate reading? How worried should I be? At any rate, I'm immediately making big changes starting with only drinking water and no more desserts.
OP, my A1C was high once, so my doc told me to bring it down, and the next time I tested, it was barely above the normal/diabetic borderline, so she told me to keep up the good work, and wasn't concerned. Because other indications were ok, and she was encouraged by the fact that it came down so easily as soon as I eliminated sugars. I don't think you need to panic, but continue on a sugar-free diet, and cut out refined starches, too (white rice, potatoes, white bread). Probably a good idea to cut back on carbs in general.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes