Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:29 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post

T2 is as easy to avoid as lung cancer.
People around here keep saying this, but tell me how?... I've been slender all my life, grew up on and continued a plant-based diet in adulthood, am active with walking, activities, and yoga, weighed 124 pounds when I was diagnosed with type 2 and now weigh 114 pounds (and am still diabetic!)...how could I have avoided type 2?? What else could I have done to avoid type 2??

I need to know the answer to that question, since people keep saying this. It drives me nuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 05:33 PM

17,546 posts, read 39,166,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
People around here keep saying this, but tell me how?... I've been slender all my life, grew up on and continued a plant-based diet in adulthood, am active with walking, activities, and yoga, weighed 124 pounds when I was diagnosed with type 2 and now weigh 114 pounds (and am still diabetic!)...how could I have avoided type 2?? What else could I have done to avoid type 2??

I need to know the answer to that question, since people keep saying this. It drives me nuts.
Because, bottom line, NO ONE knows what they are talking about, and that includes doctors, sorry to say.

Old 02-12-2018, 05:38 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,779,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dells View Post
Katharine Milton of the University of California, Berkley, is one of the most prolific and well-respected authors on the topic of the dietary ecology of Primates, with a special focus on how primates relate to modern humans and our human ancestors.
She writes:
"The widespread prevalence of diet-related health problems, particularly in highly industrialized nations, suggests that many humans are not eating in a manner compatible with their biology.
Anthropoids, including all great apes, take most of their diet from plants, and there is general consensus that humans come from a strongly herbivorous ancestry. Though gut proportions differ, overall gut anatomy and the pattern of digestive kinetics of extant apes and humans are very similar.
Analysis of tropical forest leaves and fruits routinely consumed by wild primates shows that many of these foods are good sources of hexoses, cellulose, hemicel, celulose, pectic substances, vitamin C, minerals, essential fatty acids, and protein.
In general, relative to body weight, the average wild monkey or ape appears to take in far higher levels of many essential nutrients each day than the average American and such nutrients (as well as other substances) are being consumed together in their natural chemical matrix
The recommendation that Americans consume more fresh fruits and vegetables in greater variety appears well supported by data on the diets of free-ranging monkeys and apes.
Such data also suggest that greater attention to features of the diet and digestive physiology of non-human primates could direct attention to important areas for future research on features of human diet and health (2).
Utterly ridiculous and wrong to boot. Primates eat meat every time they can lay their hands on it - they even hunt smaller primates for food.

We are omnivores. Get over it.

Quote:
Except diet-controlled diabetics cannot handle the sugar from fruit. Bananas and oranges for a diet-controlled diabetic?? My gosh, no.
I am diabetic. A few weeks ago the grocery had all-the-bananas-you-can-stuff-in-a-bag for 99c. I am not exactly brimming with cash and I like bananas, and I eat one a morning off and on with my protein shake. So I got a bag full - and they were already RIPE, YAY! Then I proceeded to eat a ton of bananas for the next few days. Pretty soon I had sulfur burps and my blood sugar went wild.

So yes, telling a diabetic to eat tons of fruit is TERRIBLE advice, unless you want to "cleanse" the gene pool by killing us diabetics off.

Yeah, we can have A piece of fruit on occasion, or at least some of us can. But NONE of us can eat a mostly fruit diet, or even more than one or two pieces a day at most. Some can't have it at all. Hand waving about "complex" vs "simple" sugars is meaningless. Carbs are carbs are carbs when it comes to diabetes.

And no, the OP was dead wrong about the leading cause of type 2 diabetes being animal fat. That's just crazy. The leading suspected culprit in developing type 2 diabetes is soda pop. Followed by processed sugar and a high-carb diet coupled with lack of exercise and a predisposition to developing it. And when I say "high-carb", I mean REALLY high carb. But they don't really know what causes type 2 diabetes - some people develop it even in the absence of the things they tell you to avoid (such as myself).

Moderator cut: rude comment

Last edited by in_newengland; 02-12-2018 at 06:33 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 06:32 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,262,928 times
Quote:

Just like there are non-smokers that get lung cancer, there are people like you who get Type 2 diabetes.

Just curious - does your plant-based diet include lots of high-carb/high-sugar food, such whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, cereal, and fruit?

Old 02-12-2018, 08:55 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,982,794 times
Quote:

Just curious - does your plant-based diet include lots of high-carb/high-sugar food, such whole grain bread, whole wheat pasta, cereal, and fruit?
No, of course, I don't eat those things, as they would raise my blood sugar, why would I do that? I'm diet controlled, keep my carbs low so my A1c stays at 6 or under.

Last edited by oldgardener; 02-12-2018 at 09:32 PM..

Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,485,219 times
Here's a bit more on consuming Fructose and/or Fruit. I found it informative and it backs up what I stated previously. It will increase your (small particle) LDL if you consume too much. The key here is the amount.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqDqwnklot0

Old 02-13-2018, 01:06 PM

7,145 posts, read 12,681,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I think those are blood sugar numbers and not A1C.
Thanks, you're likely right...I remember the numbers but not what they were attached to...just know he and his Doc were very pleased...

Old 02-13-2018, 02:06 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,343,415 times
You might want to look into the Paleo lifestyle
https://paleodiet.org/definition/
And some recipes =Recipes Archive

Old 02-13-2018, 11:10 PM

90 posts, read 70,069 times
Quote:

You probably were born with a genetic weakness of the pancreas and other areas. A raw food diet is the only way to rebuild and regenerate tissue. Stay away from meat as saturated animal fat kills pancreatic beta cells. Berries are the most nutritious foods and since fructose requires no insulin from the pancreas to be removed from the blood it will give it a rest and help it regenerate. Use herbal formulas for the pancreas to help speed up the process. Stay away from grains as they are extremely sweet and contain complex sugars that are very difficult to process.

Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 PM

90 posts, read 70,069 times
Quote:
WRONG! WRONG! WRONG!

When one gives such horrible advise in the first sentence, there is no reason to read the rest of the post.

This is VEGAN propaganda.

Now I am not recommending that you eat a diet that is high in saturated fat. But saturated fat is not the problem.

I will make it simple. Diabetes means you are insulin resistant. That means there is too much SUGAR in your system and it cannot be absorbed by your blood cells.

Does saturated fat have sugar? NO.

If you want to stop, minimize, or reverse Type 2 diabetes, you want to avoid food and drink that SPIKE BLOOD SUGAR. That means you can eat meat, chicken, fish, eggs, some dairy, avocado, coconut, all the green veggies you want, and MINIMAL fruit (mostly berries). Why? Because they don't spike blood sugar.

What do you avoid? GRAINS (including so-called healthy whole grains), STARCHES, AND SUGAR. Why? Because they SPIKE BLOOD SUGAR.

Vegans should be vegans because they do not believe in using animals for food (or for anything). They should not be giving out horrible dietary advise (like eat lots of fruit if your diabetic). Just be happy being a vegan for the animals!

This is not vegan propaganda. Saturated fat is the problem. It kills pancreatic beta cells and causes insulin resistance. I don't care if you eat meat or not. As poorer countries become richer they consume more and more meat and the incidence of diabetes goes up. Groups of people like the Okinawan's and the Hunzas are some of the most long lived peoples on earth. Fresh fruit and vegetables with very little meat is what they have in common. The Hunzas generally eat meat only once a week.

Medical doctors are taught that in diabetes, the immune system attacks the insulin-producing beta cells in the pancreas and destroys them. More recent studies have shown that SAF kills the beta cells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nujy...BcSpyj&index=5
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diabetes